Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Whale of a Tech! ("Damage" Spoilers) (Page 4)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: $$ Whale of a Tech! ("Damage" Spoilers)
blssdwlf
Member # 1024

- posted      Profile for blssdwlf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wasn't there a ship in "The Ultimate Computer" that had her impulse drive taken out and Spock said she was still maneuvering on warp drive alone?

For what its worth, Ent should be using fusion reactors exclusively and kept it simple [Big Grin]

quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
Impulse (in physics) The product of a force and the time for which it acts.

The measure of a rocket motor's performance is its specific impulse.

I don't know every instance where impulse power was used in the endless list of Trek technobabble, but logically it wouldn't make sense to use the terms interchangeably. Impulse engines might be fusion powered but fusion power doesn't have to be used for impulse. However, this isn't to say that a specific ship's warp drive might not be dependent on elements of the impulse engines. For instance, if the fusion reactors of the impulse deck are necessary to power the particle accelerators on the warp core, someone could by way of shorthand say the impulse engines can't take the strain of running the ship at warp, since it's a key component of said engine that's the limiting factor.

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Either way... it's possible for a ship to use the warp drive to move at impulse speeds. I'm not certain on the effects temporally though. However, it would work just like normal. A warp 1 field is 1 cochrane and assymetrically shaped. It's the assymetrical shpae that makes the field propulsive, not the field strength. It is possible, that a field of lower strength still has to power to move a ship... maybe at 999 millicochranes and below the accelleration factor sucks but that's the only thing I can think of besides extra wear and tear.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by J:
Either way... it's possible for a ship to use the warp drive to move at impulse speeds.

i like this theory.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Enterprise seemed to do exactly that in TMP.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In V'Ger? Or where?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the beginning. Kirk orders Warp 0.5 (or something), and slowly rises to Warp 1.0, causing a wormhole effect.

--------------------

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe that's why they aren't allowed to use velocities less than warp factor one anymore?

What the heck? Half of my post disappeared...

Trying again...and again

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

Well, the implication was that the Ent's new engines caused the wormhole. I don't know why they put untested engines on an operational ship, though.

[ April 27, 2004, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: Harry ]

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Admiral Nogura wasn't fit for the position? [Big Grin]

--------------------

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The engines where untested, because they hadn't been fine-tuned yet. The ship was rushed into service, before it was finished. When making TMP, they wanted the cargo deck/shuttle bay to look unfinished, to help reinforce teh feeling that the ship was being rushed into service only 90% done.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which is what I got... the thing that created the wormhole is that the ship hadn't been tuned yet--- the firing sequences got screwed up and a subspace wormhole formed.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder what that implies abut how normal warp travel works?

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I beleive Sternbach has mentioned the concept of sublight incremental warp factors for some ships or races, possibly including some Fed ships. This COULD theorhetically help explain away some poor modelling or behind-the-scenes design choices, like the Nebula class.

Mark

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

What's wrong with the Nebbie - she's a beautiful design!

--------------------

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed she is... Still doesn't change the fact that most versions don't have the traditional red grille impulse drive of her comtemporaries. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps