Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » �Canon� ships that break Roddenberry�s �Starship Design Rules� (Page 2)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: �Canon� ships that break Roddenberry�s �Starship Design Rules�
Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Masao, how the heck does the Steamrunner have blockage? from what I've seen, it's nacelles are almost completely clear of the hull.

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Bond, James Bond
Member # 1127

- posted      Profile for Bond, James Bond     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Commander Dan:
The Defiant in DS9 seemingly violates rule number 2, as does the S.S. Aurora seen in TOS: The Way to Eden.

If you fudge the details a bit and say the warp coils instead of the entire warp nacelle needs 50% line of sight then there's enough clearance underneath the Defiant for the warp coils to have 50% LOS. The nacelles are partially slung lower then the hull and the warp coils are at the bottom of the nacelle housings.

--------------------
"You must talk to him; tell him that he is a good cat, and a pretty cat, and..." -- Data
"I will feed him" -- Worf (Phantasms)

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, these design rules were never mentioned in an episode or film, so they aren't, you know, canon...

[Big Grin]
Marian

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i think the original design philosophy was that the nacelles acted as 'lightning rods' and that energy was supposed to be more intense (or even in an arc!) between them (the TOS 1701 had glowy-stuff exhaust grills facing inward towards each other, even if they werent lit as glowy parts most of the time), the 1701 refit continued this, the nacelles glowed towards the inside, originally storyboards were drafted to try and include arcs of energy FX between the nacelles as warp was engaged, to show the audience why that space was left empty of ship components.

if you wanted to honor the original philosophy, state that the space between UFP nacelle was where the warp field formed, radiating its waves of subspace distortion from the point on the arc between the two nacelles, then not that other engines have nacelles with blue glowy ports facing all different, but instead of being straight lines, the emissions are able to arc back on themselves, eliminating the necessity for nacelle line of sight (like the 1701-D's warp field comes from the middle part of the nacelles, each line of warp curves back in on itself to meet its duplicate from the other engine.

deep.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that's a great theory untill they started designing ship's shuttlebays directly between the nacelles: fully active or no, I wouldnt want to fly a shuttle between anything with "energy arcing between them".

Many ships have at least partial nacelle blockage and they all seem to work just fine so screw this supposed rule.

As to ships being magically made "canon" by being shown on a viewscreen, add in the Orion Blockade Runner (the only Orion ship ever really shown!), and the strange "Lotus Flower" freighter design (supposedly the Kobayashi Maru) both from FASA.

You include the FJ stuff, you get the FASA stuff too!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OTOH, both the Orion ship and the Lotus Flower are rather pleasing aesthetically... Although the latter cannot be the Kobayashi Maru, since the dimensions (wrt the dimensions given on those ST2 viewscreen specs) are all wrong.

We could of course say that the FJ'ish things seen on TMP, ST2 and ST3 viewscreens are merely "symbolic" representations of actual ships or interiors, omitting fine detail and simplifying complex shapes. If the TMP pics actually are supposed to represent the refitted vessel, then a similar "conversion formula" could be applied on the ST2 images... But that still wouldn't be enough to make the Saladins two-nacelled or the Federations four-nacelled.

Timo Saloniemi

J
Member # 608

- posted      Profile for J     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We get the stuff from on screen... just because it was from FJ or FASA means nothing about the rest of their designs. At best you have the backstory for the ship/class/designs seen on screen... but not other ship/class/designs.

--------------------
Later, J
_ _ _ _ _ ___ _ _ _ _ _
The Last Person to post in the late Voyager Forum. Bashing both Voyager, Enterprise, and "The Bun" in one glorious post.

[email protected]
http://webj.cjb.net

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is nacelle blocking anything like cock blocking?

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes.

--------------------

StarshipEngineer
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello,knock,knock.

I have one propultion system nobody talked about yet.The IMPROVED QSSD[Quantum Slipstream Drive].As a SIMMER ''living'' in the 25th century.I have authoreta on this question

IP: Logged
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
huh?

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Intruder1701
Member # 880

- posted      Profile for Intruder1701     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What?

--------------------
"Who cares if we bomb a few hospitals, it just means we got them a second time" Warrant Officer Robert Clift, CVN-71 OEF

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Again, I ask: Are you retarded?
capped
Member # 709

StarshipEngineer, write about it here.

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mike, did you post that link to the fiery pits of hell again?

Charles warned you....

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps