Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » �Canon� ships that break Roddenberry�s �Starship Design Rules� (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: �Canon� ships that break Roddenberry�s �Starship Design Rules�
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As to the supposed "rules", Andy Probert told me that he was instructed to work with those on TNG and that's why his ships have paried warp engines and clear line of sight between the warp field grilles...even the Fegengi ship's concave underside is for that reason. Anyway, that's what he was told, but clearly the "rule" had been violated before and was violated numerous times since, so precedent pretty much discounts it, Roddenberry's wishes of the moment notwithstanding.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you see the Ferengi Maurader's nacelles (or whatever you'd call them) from the front of the ship?

And I know that mentioning this is extremely patronising, but the whole reason the refit Enterprise-D had three nacelles in AGT was because they were playing "let's break all the rules!" Hence the cloak, warp 13, etc...

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Andy never told *me* of any supposed rule that you had to be able to see the nacelles from the front of the ship. The rules he told me were that the engines should have clear line of right of each other and that they should be paired. I'm not saying he might now have said the other elsewhere, but he never told me about that ruke.

I know the one thing he screwed up on the Ferengi ship was he forgot to put a nav deflector of it. Ooops!

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You also have to see the nacelles from the front (ie unobstructed, presumably for bussard operations) and the bridge has to be on the top (for some inane reason...)

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
Andy never told *me* of any supposed rule that you had to be able to see the nacelles from the front of the ship.

Are you throwing a hissy fit?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:

I know the one thing he screwed up on the Ferengi ship was he forgot to put a nav deflector of it. Ooops!

Well that depends... Ferengi deflectors may look different.

There are slight glowy slithers in the forward section where it indents.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MrNeutron
Member # 524

As if I've every thrown a hissy fit on this board. I'm the Demonstration Model for tact. [Big Grin]

If you re-read my entire post, you'll see I was saying that while Andy never told me of any supposed rule about having to be able to see the nacelles from the front, that doesn't mean he might not have said as much elsewhere.

As to the nav deflector on the Ferengi ship: when he was telling me how the effects people always have the Warbird shooting from its nav deflector, I asked him where the deflector was on the Marauder. His reply, "I forgot it." Sure you can decide some feature is the deflector, but the designer admits he forgot to include one.

Now, the Warbird's lack of impulse engines...that's a different story.

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assumed the Warbirds impulse enginges had something to do with the 'under slung' 'claws' of the Warbird.

Where was the Warbird supposed to fire disrupters from?

At least they've kept the location where the disrupters are fired from consistent over the years.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
I assumed the Warbirds impulse enginges had something to do with the 'under slung' 'claws' of the Warbird.

They were supposed to be two slots on the very back end of the ship. Andy never drew it because he ran out of time (he said he had about half the normal time to design this ship).

quote:
Where was the Warbird supposed to fire disrupters from?
Here ya go...
 -

--------------------

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey thats really cool!

Holy lots of disruptors...but only one torpedo launcher?

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Futurama Guy:
quote:
Hey thats really cool!

Holy lots of disruptors...but only one torpedo launcher?

And where's the plasma weapon?

[Smile]
Marian

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We also saw it fire disruprots from the inside center spar in the episode with the Iconian probes.
Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't have it all.

The sad part is, is the complete lack of variety in watching a Warbird fight...thoughout TNG, "Message in a Bottle" and DS9.

They are supposed to be some super huge fearsome juggarnaut but in almost everything weve seen its just one disruptor or torpedo from the nose of the ship as its only defense.

In contrast, think of the Galaxy/Galor scene in "Sacrifice of Angels" and the Galaxy spewing phasers from every which place.

Such a misuse of a beautiful thing. [Frown]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I understand how the paired Nacelles rule might have been made to spide FJ, but where do the other rules come from?
MrNeutron
Member # 524

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
We also saw it fire disruprots from the inside center spar in the episode with the Iconian probes.

Again, I was saying where the weapons where originally intended to be located, not where the VFX people made them fire from.

If you're referring to Congation, I believe in that episode they also showed a torpedo tube lighting up where those cargo hatches are.

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps