Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » �Canon� ships that break Roddenberry�s �Starship Design Rules� (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: �Canon� ships that break Roddenberry�s �Starship Design Rules�
NeghVar
Member # 62

- posted      Profile for NeghVar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Photons were fired from the raised bit where the lower neck spar connects to the main hull.

quote:
Originally posted by MrNeutron:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
We also saw it fire disruptors from the inside center spar in the episode with the Iconian probes.

Again, I was saying where the weapons where originally intended to be located, not where the VFX people made them fire from.

If you're referring to Contagion, I believe in that episode they also showed a torpedo tube lighting up where those cargo hatches are.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At least those cargo doors look like they could be such, and aren't, say, weirdly lit in a non-doorlike way, or something.

Those big round domes were marked as disruptors on the model I had always intended to finish painting one day. (It suggested they be some sort of yellow. But, then, it suggested the ship itself be some shade of blue, which I just sort of went along with, being young enough to never question instructions, and having only seen the ship once or twice at the time, really. ((Circa season 3, maybe.)) It looks really strange.)

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Warbirds have fired from the nose with pulses (TNG, multiple eps) and beams ("The Die is Cast"[DS9-3] et cetera).

They've fired beams from a little thing at the top of the upper wing connection to the upper head section ("Unification"[TNG]).

They've fired a green beam from the forward bottom of the connection between tail and upper wing ("Contagion"[TNG]).

They've attempted to fire photon torpedoes from a point near or within the vertical square bits on the forward part of the lower wing ("Contagion"[TNG]).

And, they've fired something looking like a green photon torpedo from the nose (TDiC).

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't they fire some sort of 'torpedo' in "Face of the Enemy"? I'm asking, haven't seen that episode in years.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, to sum up, Warbirds are ships, and they have weapons.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sol System:
Those big round domes were marked as disruptors on the model I had always intended to finish painting one day. (It suggested they be some sort of yellow. But, then, it suggested the ship itself be some shade of blue, which I just sort of went along with, being young enough to never question instructions, and having only seen the ship once or twice at the time, really. ((Circa season 3, maybe.)) It looks really strange.)

I always wondered about that. I got that set around season 3 too. Although I was fortunate enough to have seen "The Enemy" and "The Defector", so I was well aware that the ship wasn't blue. I did become slightly paranoid though over the fact that maybe it was blue, and my colour blindness had been lying to me all those years. Or year.

It also had the most boring paint instructions of any model ever. I think it was literally "green" (or "duck egg blue") with an arrow pointing to the hull, and that was it.

In contrast, the extremely tiny BOP had a billion and one paint applications. I think they were just being perverse.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be fair, there's like three shades on the Warbird and a billion and one on the BOP...

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:

In contrast, the extremely tiny BOP had a billion and one paint applications. I think they were just being perverse.

They also managed to completely leave out the ship's impulse engines.

Details....

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

jX
Member # 1201

- posted      Profile for jX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

They'll be installed on tuesday...
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

The model was only about 2 inches long though, so you can't expect it to be uber-detailed.

Where are the impulse engines on a BOP? And, for that matter, where are the impulse engines on a warbird?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

The model was only about 2 inches long though, so you can't expect it to be uber-detailed.

Where are the impulse engines on a BOP? And, for that matter, where are the impulse engines on a warbird?

Well, a better question is where are a BOP's warp engines, since the glowing thing at the back looks like an impulse engine.

As to the Warbird, Andy Probert told me he had half the normal time to design the ship, so he never had a chance to draw the rear view of the ship for the modelmakers. There were supposed to two impulse exhaust slots, one over the other, on the very back centerline of the ship (on the aft end of the rear bit that connects the upper and lower halves). Greg Jein didn't notice the lack of the impulse engines when he built the model, so...oops.

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Manticore
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Manticore     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd always assumed that the warp nacelles on the BOP were the grid things on the dorsal side of the secondary hull myself.

--------------------
Fell deeds await. Now for Wrath... Now for Ruin... and a Red Dawn...
-Theoden, TTT

Lord Vorkosigan does not always get what he wants!

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You mean the "shoulders"?

--------------------
"Well, I mean, it's generally understood that, of all of the people in the world, Mike Nelson is the best." -- ULTRA MAGNUS, steadfast in curmudgeon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
or the "humps", if you will...

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The warp engines on the BoP are supposed to be the small fins, rather than the grid -- at least according to the Fact Files, the only reference I found about the engines.

BTW, regarding rule #2 (50%), the Raven violates it too. The Defiant as well as various shuttles barely comply with it.

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps