Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ For Whom the Tech Tolls ["E^2" Spoilers] (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ For Whom the Tech Tolls ["E^2" Spoilers]
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah - Columbia I initially way-back-when wanted it for the links to the Columbia being the next Shuttle after Enterprise... but after last year's tragedy - it is even more fitting.

I agree the NX-03 should be Challenger, NX-04 -> 07 Discovery, Atlantis, Endeavour and Buran

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do stars drift that much in 117 years? Isn't that like 5 seconds in interstellar time?

And hey...no tech review of this ep yet?! It's been like 8 hrs since it first aired EST!

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

TheWoozle
Member # 929

- posted      Profile for TheWoozle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I noticed that they mentioned the stoled Primary Warp Core, which went down from 'that last torpedo hit'.

They showed old-T'Pol surfing a long list of schematics, for a bit of alien technolgy, to 'filter' the Impulse Engines. I wonder how much of that database got transfered..

They actually used the Transporter to steal important elements of the other ship.

Now, they have an Emergancy speed of about warp 5.6, with a rising chance of explosion, past that.

--------------------
joH'a' 'oH wIj DevwI' jIH DIchDaq Hutlh pagh
(some days it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps in the morning)
The Woozle!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
warp 5.6 cool.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
- The old NX-01 is in a bad shape, after 119 years in the Expanse. There are some new greebles on the outside. Most notably two pods under the catamarans, and antennae sticking out of the 'pod'.

- She's equipped with a proper tractor beam. Old NX-01 still has the same armament, though.

- The interior is also different. Signs and computer displays are bilingual (English/Vulcan).

- The make-shift crew is comprised of several different species. I think I saw some of last week's Ilyrians (sp?).

- The tech is not as bad as last week, but Tucker still mentions a "primary drive coil", that disables their port engine. At least this might be a proper coil.

- The 'subspace corridor' is not the same as the vortices the Xindi use. It's similar to a wormhole, I guess.

- Archer beams two EPS manifolds directly out of the other Enterprise to disable their main power.

- That Xindi ship looked somewhat like a Star Wars stormtrooper speeder. I can't remember seeing that design before.

- Screenshots

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome screenshots. The nebula shots finally give us a good view of the damage inflicted on Enterprise... Comparing to pics of previous episodes, it doesn't look like it's changed too much since "Damage", though the brighter lighting in the nebula makes it look less severe.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
-- The NX-01^2 (the older one) had some extra weaponry as well. Most notable was some sort of bluish particle beam that was mounted on the dorsal saucer.

-- Mayweather got a scene this week! He got to chat with Hoshi, and it turns out that in the alternate future, he was going to marry Corporal McKenzie, a MACO. (Wasn't she the cute one we saw in decon in "Anomaly"?)

-- Those plasma injectors that were stolen make sense as a critical part of the warp drive, though I would've thought that they'd be part of the warp core itself rather than off to the side in Engineering.

-- A very inventive use of the transporter in combat! Of course it's only possible because neither ship had deflector shields. (Hmm... I'm surprised that shields weren't on the past-NX-01's shopping list! I suppose it's just a plot contrivance.)

-- Granted, the present-NX-01 stole two relays (not just one), but it seems really, really convenient that the entire ship would lose power after just those two EPS relays were stolen. On a ship that big and that complex, wouldn't they be able to bypass their power somehow?

-- I'm assuming that the speeder-bike-type ship we saw in the teaser was a Humanoid-specific design. After all, the Xindi ships we've been seeing the most of so far have been the Reptilian and Insectoid designs. This new one is probably the "standard" design for another species, most likely the Humanoids since Degra was heading back there -- but also possibly an Arboreal design instead.

-- Someone was miscalculating the warp factors again! They were planning on making the rendezvous with Degra, about 12 LY away, within 3 days. But at their new maximum speed of Warp 5.6, traveling 12 LY should have taken about 25 days instead. (They'd need to travel at WF 11.3 to cross 12 LY in only 3 days...)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Awesome screenshots. The nebula shots finally give us a good view of the damage inflicted on Enterprise... Comparing to pics of previous episodes, it doesn't look like it's changed too much since "Damage", though the brighter lighting in the nebula makes it look less severe.

Mark

Also note the damage from last week's plasma coolant accident.

quote:
-- The NX-01^2 (the older one) had some extra weaponry as well. Most notable was some sort of bluish particle beam that was mounted on the dorsal saucer.
Strange, since Reed said that they had the exact same armament. Of course, he could've mislabeled some of the NX-012 greeblies.

--------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd like to think that as a navigator, Mayweather has a pretty good sense of the stars. Although how he could have picked out stellar drift in a region of space he's never been in before is a little iffy...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm a little curious about the warp speeds they've been able to achieve. Following the attack, their warp drive wasn't working thanks to a busted coil. They steal one in "Damage" that'll give them warp 3, and now stealing some tech from the other Enterprise they can manage 5.6? I'm wondering how the technical stuff works here. Isn't the other Enterprise a big temporal paradox? Did they try to explain how they can keep stuff from an alternate timeline, which in the large picture actually HELPS Starfleet by allowing its fastest ship to go even faster?

Or are they just elaving it a la EMH holoemitter... I wont be able to see this episode for a while yet, so the temporal shnanigans in this one are driving me batty here.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At the end, T'Pol and Archer explicitly mentioned that "maybe" the other Enterprise never even existed. And wondered, if so, why they remembered them. Basically, it was the writers telling us to ignore the paradoxes. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

They never actually got the NX-Old's warp gizmos though, did they? I don't think any of those plans were executed before Lorian went completely Archer and tried stealing stuff from the NX-Now.

The whole 'stellar drift' was a bit dinky. How did they know they were at the right coordinates? A position is always relative to something else. OTOH, they probably somehow know exactly where they are in relation to the galactic center. But their sensor probably need to be pretty accurate to calculate such coordinates..

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MinutiaeMan:
-- Someone was miscalculating the warp factors again! They were planning on making the rendezvous with Degra, about 12 LY away, within 3 days. But at their new maximum speed of Warp 5.6, traveling 12 LY should have taken about 25 days instead. (They'd need to travel at WF 11.3 to cross 12 LY in only 3 days...)

there was a warp highway
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps the subspace corridor isolated the ship from the changes in the timeline like the temporal wake from the Borg sphere did for the NCC-1701-E in First Contact?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
YOU JUST BLEW MY MIND MAN!

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps