Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » REQUEST - The Definitive Starship Bridge Screencap Collection (Page 19)

This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25   
Author Topic: REQUEST - The Definitive Starship Bridge Screencap Collection
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hanson might not even be on the ship's bridge: He's probably coordinating the fleet's assembly while the ship's captain runs the bridge/battle.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or he's on the Bridge but a section of it. It reminds me of the Lakota bridge shot with Benteen for DS9.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For fuck's sake! I spent an hour doing the caps, had every conceivable wide shot or close-up of the E-E bridge, and guess what? PowerDVD goes and nicely renders the caps at some bizarre ratio that squashes everything together nicely. So, back to the drawing board.

Mark, here's an idea: can you send me the shots you do have of the E-E from FC and Ins, and I'll try to get caps from similar angles which might show any differences. . . Save me from having to do the whole damn thing again.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you still have those screenshots?

Because it's just some ratio that's wrong. When you open/view it in another program, that ratio is different from what PowerDVD itself uses. If you make an action (Adobe's word for macro) of it in Photoshop, you can very quickly fix all the shots. Or, put them in a zip and mail them to me (or preferably, let me download it from somewhere).

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lee and Harry - I don't have any shots of the E-E from FC or INS. I wasn't going to concentrate much on the FC bridge at this phase since there are plenty of pictures of it online already, and no one had volunteered the INS bridge as yet. The NEM bridge was a relative priority because it was more of a wholesale upgrade than INS.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
For fuck's sake! I spent an hour doing the caps, had every conceivable wide shot or close-up of the E-E bridge, and guess what? PowerDVD goes and nicely renders the caps at some bizarre ratio that squashes everything together nicely. So, back to the drawing board.

OK, I guess I know what may have happened. Your DVD is probably in widescreen anamorphic format, and your PowerDVD is configured to do captures in "Original video source size". Which isn't bad, as it preserves the resolution of the original video on the DVD (720x480, or maybe 704x480). The player (be it a standalone player or a software player on your computer) then has to properly scale the image to display it on the TV/monitor/whatever; since it's in widescreen anamorphic format, it has to be vertically compressed and the rest of the space filled with black bars (unless you have a HDTV). Don't throw them away, what you need is to resize them to 640x360 with some other program to get the proper ratio. Preferably, some program that can resample the image minimizing any nasty effects the resizing could have.
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, yes, except I deleted them in a fit of rage. Would you expect any less? This is me, after all.

--------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did the bridge of the E-E change in any way from First Contact to Nemesis?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Significantly.

INS - removed Riker and Troi's consoles; replaced silly "on when ya need it" forward display with more traditional viewer; lighter paint job overall.

NEM - replaced Riker and Troi's consoles and added support rails for them to hold on to; replaced tactical consoles with expanded versions featuring a large flat-panel LCD in the middle; replaced side console "wrist supports" with more handles; new LCARS overall; darker paint job overall.

Also, in the NEM deleted scenes we see Picard's chair replaced with an ungainly, unmatching version with CGI auto-seatbelts. God, if they make another TNG movie I hope they don't go with that.

Mark

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

I'll sort out the ratio and get some caps. I know where the useful scenes are now at least. And if no-one's going to do FC and INS I'll see if I can find some general images shwoing these differences.

--------------------

seanr
Member # 277

- posted      Profile for seanr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/968/VoyFloorPlan.jpg

Interesting, so if you were at the Engineering or Science consoles you wouldn't really have a good view of the main view screen.

A quick check of the QTVR from the Star Trek: Captain's Chair CDRom shows that the viewer is indeed fully visible from that position, including part of the wall to the near side of the viewer (right side if in starboard station). No visiblity problems at all. The overall shape of that plan is right (I overlaid it on the stage plan I've got), but I think the position of the chair at least is off. The angle of the protruding console may be as well. No way to know, really.

--------------------
Sean Robertson
[email protected]
WEBolutionary
Speaking Freely

"The ulimate measure of a man is not where he stands in times of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times of challenge and controversy."
-- Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

It may be visble, but it's sure not a GOOD view. And if the viewer is holographic, they'd rarely get a decent look at whatever practically everyone else was seeing. One wonders why the "front window" motif on this bridge had such a relatively small viewer - scarcely larger than Defiant, no?

Mark

--------------------

Lee
Member # 393

I don't know why they didn't stick with the holographic viewscreen on the E-E bridge anyway.

--------------------

seanr
Member # 277

- posted      Profile for seanr     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think it was very well received by the fans. It's kind of pointless anyway, since you area really only looking at it from one angle anyway. It's not the kind of thing that you can move around in and interact with, like a real hologaphic display would be (see the end of Mission to Mars).

--------------------
Sean Robertson
[email protected]
WEBolutionary
Speaking Freely

"The ulimate measure of a man is not where he stands in times of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times of challenge and controversy."
-- Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

The original idea was thet holo-display was only supposed to be "on" when they really needed something to look at - in FC, they only turned it on first when Picard wanted to see the battle raging outside (even though they were already fighting by that point). In other instances, it was "off" and you could see the wall beyond. So, while the gang was cruising along, most of them would have a view of.. the wall. Didn't make for good drama, or make much sense in the first place - the viewer is treated by most people as a window, and the bridge was built with that in mind.

Just another instance of how Starfleet bridges need to have certain things constant between them in order to be popular...

Mark

--------------------

This topic comprises 25 pages: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  25   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps