Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Miranda w/ 4 Impulse Engines & MSD (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Miranda w/ 4 Impulse Engines & MSD
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So there are two CGI versions of the Miranda Class... which could either mean that more than one artist can create a starship or that someone decided to make a contest at Foundation Imaging on which Miranda Class CGI is the most authentic looking one against the physical model.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Chris W.
Member # 1347

- posted      Profile for Chris W.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which would make the quad-impulse Miranda a new variant.

--------------------
Yeah, I'm the same guy from prev. incarnations of these forums.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somewhat off-topic, but the shots from "Tears of the Prophets" made me want to see it again. To my surprise, I happened to notice that at time index 34:12, the Defiant's registry is shown on the nose as NCC-74210. Whoops!

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
God, Pedro's Shiporama is still up - and it still hasn't been updated. That's about five years now. I'm surpised the guy even bothers to renew the domain, let alone continue hosting it. But then he was a twat anyway, one of Tachy's lapdogs. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it ironic that anyone with a Star Trek website could be a labdog of Tachy. Oh how the times change.
Chris W.
Member # 1347

- posted      Profile for Chris W.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the record, I'm not in any way personally nor professionally affiliated w/ Pedro. His site is a good resource, though.

I still think it's a new variant. Or, perhaps it's not so new, and I've been gone so long that I missed its discovery...

Oh well, just seeking my piece of the pie... ;-)

--------------------
Yeah, I'm the same guy from prev. incarnations of these forums.

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, I've no idea what became of that lot. Never cared enough to find out, either. I'm assuming Boh has some knowledge of their fates, then?

And, the Shiporama was a nice site, I even used to check in regularly in the vain hope of an update.

--------------------

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lets just say Tachy became rather anti-trek
Lee
Member # 393

Really? Gosh. This I have to see. Does he still have a website? 8)

(Boh - PM me if you like. Didn't mean to hijack this thread, just feeling rather hostile and obnoxious today!)

So, um, yeah. Mirandas with extra impulse engines. I realise the question is pretty much meaningless given those SI fields, but wouldn't impulse engines sticking out on that pylon/rail put a lot of stress on it?

--------------------

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

Yeah, and isn't combat where they seem to loose the SIF alot? I don't get the pod anyway, I mean, it must be a bitch for the torpedo crews to get to it.

(Oh and Tachy.. well scifi-art is still there, but he doesn't do much anymore and he's kinda mellowed out, but he does have a job and a family..)

Lee
Member # 393

If the rollbar's there to provide extra strengthening for the pylons which hold the nacelles, then it's obviously pretty strong; problem is, you have all the non-rollbar variants.

Plus the central assembly on the rollbar is pretty large to just hold a couple of torpedo launchers, unless they contain automatic feed magazines so they don't need crews. How large is the rollbar itself anyway? Could it contain a crawlway, a walkway or even a turbolift tube?

--------------------

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

Well, considdering the rolebar is introduced in Star Trek II where feature torpedo crews, I'd say it'd be kinda odd if the Reliant had automated torpedo systems but the Enterprise didn't.

And don't bring the training voyage in to play, I doubt they'd go on "training" in a crisis. [Wink]

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris W.:
From what I can tell, the picture on the right is BEFORE the one on the left.

At first glance, it appears that we have discovered another Miranda variant. Perhaps the ship on the right is the "Brattain" variant (ie. a ship dedicated to science/exploration, so it wouldn't need the weapons pod). This is total conjecture.

The ship in the left photo appears to have the standard 2 impulse engines and illuminated shuttlebays.

What do you guys think? 4th Miranda variant discovered?

The order of the pictures are rather irrelevant.

I'm not sure I see two variants there, but rather righty got lefties glow by accident...which makes perfect sense if you know nothing about how cgi glows are placed. [Wink]

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Lee
Member # 393

Careful we're straying awful close to debating the actual age of the Miranda-class here. We know that automated torpedo launchers were introduced at some point, and we know that the Enterprise wasn't a front-line ship anymore. Ideal for training in fact - how better to learn everything about photon torpedo systems than on a manual system? In other words, the 1701-null might not have had automatic launchers!

Then again, would they have a front-line ship doing tedious surveys for the Genesis Project (even given its secrecy and possible military applications) either?

--------------------

MarianLH
Member # 1102

- posted      Profile for MarianLH     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Originally posted by Lee:
quote:
Then again, would they have a front-line ship doing tedious surveys for the Genesis Project (even given its secrecy and possible military applications) either?
FWIW, the shooting script described Reliant as "older" and "somewhat battered." But then, it also described her as "of the ENTERPRISE class, with a slightly different configuration,� so who knows.

Marian

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps