Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Miranda w/ 4 Impulse Engines & MSD (Page 4)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Miranda w/ 4 Impulse Engines & MSD
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, but that was back when the nacelles and rollbar were in opposite positions.

Enterpriise has automatic loaders for torpedos: else, how did they fire in STIII with the entire crew on the bridge?

Seems neglegent to leave them armed and loaded in STIII otherwise.

I think the Reliant's crew had to have been either beamed into the pod (the pod's larger than the entire rear third of the Enterprie after all- total automation would'nt account for all that space) or they are assigned there for a few days at a stretch untill relieved via shuttle or something: The rollbar might be thick enough to accomidate a crawlspace but it'd be really tricky to get around the bend where the phasers are mounted.

Fuck if I know.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Teh PW
Self Impossed Exile (This Space for rent)
Member # 1203

- posted      Profile for Teh PW         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MarianLH:
Originally posted by Lee:
quote:
Then again, would they have a front-line ship doing tedious surveys for the Genesis Project (even given its secrecy and possible military applications) either?
FWIW, the shooting script described Reliant as "older" and "somewhat battered." But then, it also described her as "of the ENTERPRISE class, with a slightly different configuration,� so who knows.

Marian

Don't know about the "Older, more battered" part but, at first, Reliant was supposed to be a Conny class...but to avoid confusing the movie audience, they instead made the Miranda Class....which, BTW was supposed be nassels up but when Gene saw and gave his thumbs up on it, it was presented to him UPSIDE DOWN, or so the story goes...think i read it in one of the mags recently...

--------------------
*shrug* Ready, shoot, aim.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt it was referred to as Miranda Class at that point, though.
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it wasn't Gene, it was Harve Bennet. Roddenberry had already been "kicked upstairs" to his non-position of executive consultant at that point.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I recalled a scene of a guy in an Enterprise-esque torpedo room when Chekov torpedoes the Reliant's launcher, but instead the interior scene is that of a curved corridor in the special edition.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was always of a guy in a curved corridor and it wasn't directly related to the pod being hit... by phasers and not torpedoes

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was a torpedo, and the curved corridor blast does take place immediately thereafter.

As for the corridor itself, I wasn't suggesting that it was in the pod, though I suppose there could be one for no apparent reason. I was simply making the statement to inquire about the misremembered scene. Thanks.

--------------------

Chris W.
Member # 1347

- posted      Profile for Chris W.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, is it a new variant or not?

--------------------
Yeah, I'm the same guy from prev. incarnations of these forums.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No.
It's probably a malfunction or just the pod running "hot" during combat.

Mabye it's the 23rd century version of ground effects.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Chris W.
Member # 1347

- posted      Profile for Chris W.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I disagree. Why ignore the visual evidence on-screen? Pick and choose the rules, eh?

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

hu�mor (hyoo-mer) n.

1. The quality that makes something laughable or amusing; funniness: could not see the humor of the situation.
2. That which is intended to induce laughter or amusement: a writer skilled at crafting humor.
3. The ability to perceive, enjoy, or express what is amusing, comical, incongruous, or absurd. See Synonyms at wit.

--------------------

Chris W.
Member # 1347

Oh, right. Of course.
D'oh.

--------------------

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

Whoa . . . the Mirandas from Sacrifice of Angels have glowy lower domes, a la the NX and TOS Connie. This is most easily noticed in the shots just prior to the destruction of the Sitak and the Majestic, when the nacelles are casting a shadow on the ventral saucer. However, upon noticing the glow, I also found it in the shots of the Federation fleet headed toward the Dominion fleet (where our perspective puts us behind the onrushing Federation ships). It's also visible just before Garak's "they're angry!" bit.

It's not bright, and looks kinda blue-green, but it is a bit off from the norm. These are not the four-engine Mirandas . . . might be worth a look to see if they have it, if one's trying to distinguish sub-classes.

--------------------

Chris W.
Member # 1347

Maybe they just didn't turn it on?

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure it's not just the normal illumination that emanate from the sensor-cluser/running lights centered around the lower dome on both the Miranda and refit-Constitution?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps