Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Question and pic-request on tellarite shuttle (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Question and pic-request on tellarite shuttle
Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read Bernts comments on the tellarite shuttle from "Bounty". I think I agree with him on that it�s probably the Alice-shuttle from Voyager redressed. But I distinctly remember from the episode, just when Archer and the tellarite were being attacked and descended into athmosphere, that I saw a topside schematic of the vessel! Anyone got a pic? Also, anyone got a bigger pic of the shuttle landed?
I want to know how the model and cgi were modified.

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What happened to the days when a 'major' race had some thought and care put into their ship's design and not just a re-jigging of an 'alien of the week' ship - which was itself rehashed out of something else, I'd reckon?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think they should bring in another team to make new ships so that it doesn't interfer with the other work on the show and we'd get some new ones
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
What happened to the days when a 'major' race had some thought and care put into their ship's design and not just a re-jigging of an 'alien of the week' ship - which was itself rehashed out of something else, I'd reckon?

Even worse, the Tellarites were given no distinctive traits, very little backstory, and were basically Voyager-type Aliens-of-the-Week. I was not impressed.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in my opinion they have done good work on the andorians and the vulcans as far as the ships go. However, my main disappointment is with the klingons! Stupid reasoning with the ship-designs!

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:

"Intelligence reports Romulans now using Klingon designs"?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
HA! A really good example.

THey need someone besides Eaves to design the alien ships: nothing against the man: I really like many of his designs, it's just that after a while, you can tell it's all coming from one designer.

Three artists would work well: whatever happened to Probert and Sternbach?
Were they liberated from captivity or what?

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
"Intelligence reports Romulans now using Klingon designs"?

Funny - I'm watching that one on Sci-Fi right now!

B.J.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
To be fair, one would hope the modelling process would have improved steadily since TOS. I think Andrew's point was that the "thought and care" peaked somewhere back in the '90s and is going back downhill.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in that case his point is a meaningless assertion.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aren't they all?

In any case, "The Next Generation" was hardly this OMG-NEW-SHIP-DESIGN paradise that some seem to think it was. The Merchantman model as a variety of different ships, that v-shaped freighter kept turning up (Riker throws it into the sun in "Final Mission", for instance), and many other alien ships were used as other alien ships (that X-shaped one from the episode with the boy raised by aliens who then stabs Picard before throwing ice-cream at Wesley, or something). And I don't want to go crazy and use a "ferchrisake", but it took then 4 years to actually build contempory Klingon and Starfleet vessels, ferchisakes.

DS9 was equally guilty, unless half the alien races in the galaxy all bought their ships from the Wadi.

(I will now do a classic piece of Simon-backtracking and say that I don't necessarily agree with some of the points raised here. Specifically, that having more than one person designing ships would be beneficial. But I'm going to fall to my knees and start worshipping the almighty Andy "dustbuster" Propert, or Rick "flying toilet seat" Sternbach either.)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
To be fair, one would hope the modelling process would have improved steadily since TOS. I think Andrew's point was that the "thought and care" peaked somewhere back in the '90s and is going back downhill.

Yes, thanks TSN.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"a classic piece of Simon-backtracking"

I have a strange reputation.

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
And I don't want to go crazy and use a "ferchrisake", but it took then 4 years to actually build contempory Klingon and Starfleet vessels, ferchisakes.
To be fair, the reason for this was because they didn't want to spend money making new Starfleet & Klingon ship models if the show wasn't popular & got cancelled after the first or second season. It also explains why we got reuses of movie models such as the Excelsior, Merchantman, BoP, etc., which realistically would have been out-of-date vessels in the late 24th century. Plus, they even used models from other shows & movies to save money ("V", "Night of the Creeps").

For the first three seasons, there were only three new main models built (sans the Ent-D), with their own specific circumstances:

The Stargazer: TPTB were going to reuse the movie Enterprise until Greg Jein decided to make a different model for it.

The Romulan warbird: the only reason why TPTB had to make a new Rommie model was because there was no Rommie movie model to reuse.

The Ent-C: Obviously they couldn't use an existing movie model for the C, so this had to be a newbuild.

--------------------
"A film made in 2008 isn't going to look like a TV series from 1966 if it wants to make any money. As long as the characters act the same way, and the spirit of the story remains the same then it's "real" Star Trek. Everything else is window dressing." -StCoop

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What about the Ferengi marauder?

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps