Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Question and pic-request on tellarite shuttle (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Question and pic-request on tellarite shuttle
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With gimmick ships like Scimitar, the Prommie's split-combo reforming sillyness and Voyager's flapping nacelles, they're headed for a Power Rangers color-coordinated-combo-ship: mark my words.

...and it'll be your fault.
Yours.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They are cool if they exist in anime form. In the Star Trek universe...no no no no no.

And to be fair, it was a really, really, really bad episode in which the Maurader extended its neck, and it didn't make any sense at the time anyway(I only know what the hell was going on because I've read some behind the scenes stuff).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
They are cool if they exist in anime form. In the Star Trek universe...no no no no no.

Agreed: although even in anime, the SDF-1 transforming into an uber-robot is idiotic in the extreme.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As opposed to all the other anime that makes perfect sense?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe I've missed something, but I don't remember the Marauder extending its neck... [Confused]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
(The Voyager Marauder was a brand-new CG model, even, no?)
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"With gimmick ships like Scimitar, the Prommie's split-combo reforming sillyness and Voyager's flapping nacelles, they're headed for a Power Rangers color-coordinated-combo-ship: mark my words."

Down with the Klingon Bird of Prey! Destroy the separable Galaxy class! Smash the Defiant's nose into little pieces!

Okay, so we never actually saw that last one, but still. The point stands that some quite well-liked designs had the same sort of stuff.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Topher:
Maybe I've missed something, but I don't remember the Marauder extending its neck... [Confused]

Aren't you suppossed to be some sort of walking encyclopedia of starship knowledge.

The Marauder extended its neck in "The Last Outpost". It was first season. It was stupid. It had Ferengi jumping and twirling their arms around like retards. It had Data making strange snide remarks on the bridge. It had a stupid sub-plot involving Chinese Finger Puzzles. It...was...crap.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you scroll down, Bernd has screencaps of the transformation here.

And there were plenty of other first-season TNG episodes that I found less likable than "The Last Outpost".

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The effect of extending the neck of the Marauder was poor because virtually no one noticed it (only the step-by-step analysis shows that the ship wasn't simply tilted). That may have been the reason not to show it again.

Concerning the Tellarite vessel, something more imaginative would have been better for a race supposed to reappear. But better a modification of Alice than yet another Nenebek clone!

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
"With gimmick ships like Scimitar, the Prommie's split-combo reforming sillyness and Voyager's flapping nacelles, they're headed for a Power Rangers color-coordinated-combo-ship: mark my words."

Down with the Klingon Bird of Prey! Destroy the separable Galaxy class! Smash the Defiant's nose into little pieces!

Okay, so we never actually saw that last one, but still. The point stands that some quite well-liked designs had the same sort of stuff.

The (scout sized) KBOP having movable wings to land actually makes sense (as does the Galaxy seperation and even the Defiant's warhead to some extent) but adding in moving parts onto gigantic starships for nothing but a supposed "coolness factor" is dumb.
The Scimitar would have been almost all internal machinery to allow those millions of tons of mass to transform like that.
The larger the ship the less likely moving parts become (I have no issue with moving parts on small ships if it serves a function).

Goofy.

As to The Last Outpost, it did have one cool moment: the use of holographic displays during the briefing was neat (though seldom seen afterward).

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bernd:
The effect of extending the neck of the Marauder was poor because virtually no one noticed it (only the step-by-step analysis shows that the ship wasn't simply tilted). That may have been the reason not to show it again.

Indeed. That was almost 20 years ago now, and until it was mentioned in this thread I'd never heard of or noticed it, even when I was going through the episodes with an itchy pause finger while grabbing screencaps.

That blew my mind. I can't even tell what's moving where, exactly, but I'll check it out.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
"we never saw the ship after TNG..."

There was that VOY episode with the Ferengi and the geodesic fold and the thing. The second one. In season seven. I think. Someone help me. Now.

Yeah, it was "Inside Man".

But, nevertheless, it would have been nice to see some Marauders in some hopeless battle with the Dominion just for the shits-and-giggles effect OR at least as one of the zillions of reused ships seen over and over docked at DS9.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The (scout sized) KBOP having movable wings to land actually makes sense (as does the Galaxy seperation and even the Defiant's warhead to some extent) but adding in moving parts onto gigantic starships for nothing but a supposed 'coolness factor' is dumb."

You think the real-life reason for the Galaxy to separate was anything but "coolness factor"? Come on. They spent five minutes showing just that in the first episode. And almost never afterward. It was nothing but a gimmick.

And I don't see how "variable warp geometry" is any less of a valid reason for moving parts than the others. Especially the BoP. Why not just build the thing with its wings already far enough up to land?

" The Scimitar would have been almost all internal machinery to allow those millions of tons of mass to transform like that."

Well, the Scimitar was a little pointless. Note that I didn't bring it up. However, to be fair, the Romulans already have one ship design that's unnecessarily huge. If we assume they do that just to be intimidating, it's not overly surprising that they might come up with a ship that can "make itself look big" like a cat or something.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps