Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » DC Comic Trek Bridges (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: DC Comic Trek Bridges
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
KIRK!

Still, at least that bloke is buff, eh?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Russell Christiansen
Member # 1333

- posted      Profile for Russell Christiansen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, maybe William Ware Theiss would approve! [Big Grin]

For crying out loud it looks terrible though! That's one heck of an abomination! If it was an alien race, yes that would be possible, but that...that...please...looks like it was dreamed up by a 10-year old!

B.J.
Space Cadet
Member # 858

- posted      Profile for B.J.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did these people even WATCH the show? Yikes.

Excuse me while I go purge my hard drive of ever having seen this.

B.J.

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that's the point - they were probably hired to draw the comic while the show was still in pre-production. They had no idea what the look or feel of the show would be, save for whatever Roddenberry told them in the writer's bible. Remember, initially in TNG we were a lot happier, looser, and definitely NOT MILITARY. So, inasmuch as TMP gave us a million pointless variations of the pyjama uniforms...

I'm not going to bother scanning in the other uniform variations. Security guys wore Battlestar Galactica helmets without the chinpieces, away teams wore thighstrap utility belts, Picard's formal uniform was green with gold tassles... Ugh.

And above it all, everyone was CONSTANTLY making the worst superhero poses regardless of what they're doing. Walking, popping out of a turbolift, sitting in front of the mirror. At one point Riker was getting beamed up unexpectedly, and he's practically doing the splits with his arms outflung. I kid you not.

Not Trek's proudest decision in outsourcing, I must say.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want that comic.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Oh, wotdahell:

http://flareupload.pleh.net/uploads/469/crappyexcelsior.jpg

Mark

Thanks a lot, Mark!

Now someone's going to consider that a viable variant, call it the "Discovery" and start a thread on it....

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mark Nguyen:
Remember, initially in TNG we were a lot happier, looser, and definitely NOT MILITARY.

And that means we have to dress like 1970's superheroes?

Can you imagine that guy in the shorts and cowboy boots going up against, well, any situation and being taken seriously?

Again... I blame the art director that ok'd this. He should have never even let it go to Paramount or whoever they had to clear it through to get the go-ahead.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's uhhhhhh..... Stat Trek meets Thundercats meets 1960's Robin from the Batman TV series.

Seriously.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They were probably going with the "comics are for kids" argument. And kids LOVE capes and superheroes.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We definitely need to see these other variants.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Aban- this is hackery at it's worst: any art director worth shit would have stopped this from happening...

Saying "It's from the 80's" is no excuse- plenty of great sci-fi comics were around then (moreso than now to be sure) and did resort to capes, tights and poses from "How to draw comics the Marvel way".

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its not just Starfleet, its the Super Starfleet Friends
Russell Christiansen
Member # 1333

- posted      Profile for Russell Christiansen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in the TMP era, security guards DID wear helmets and body armor, which would make a great deal of sense, IMHO. That's actually not a bad idea. I bet they'd do it again after the Dominion War.

Yeah, I do wonder if it did fall into the "comics are for kids" thing.

Well, Mark, I'm starting to believe all of what you say about that craziness of these early TNG comics. Not to mention the scene you posted up makes me wanna PUKE!!

I wonder if this was one of Theiss's ideas, but got shot down by the production.

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Really, it looks like the panels were intended for something else and the TNG elements were added on after.
The panels are disturbingly generic to the point where a "Trek-Com" thread could be started....

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boy, that evil thing is going to be pissed when he learns the Excelsior is piloted by Sulu, and not "KIRK !".

[ December 02, 2004, 03:41 AM: Message edited by: Harry ]

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps