Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » $$ Stars Over Manhattech! ["Storm Front, Part II" Spoilers] (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: $$ Stars Over Manhattech! ["Storm Front, Part II" Spoilers]
machf
Member # 1233

- posted      Profile for machf         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the shape of the main hull resembles the Saber's somewhat, though other parts of the ship do resemble the Steamrunner. But I'm going by hull shape here (that's also the main similarity between the Iceland and Norway, aside from the Scandinavian link [Wink] ).
Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On further inspection (and a clearer computer screen), I think that Mark is right after all; the undersides of the Intrepids and the undersides of the mystery ship don't match. I believe it IS a Steamrunner.

Also, I noticed a few other things. The Hazari ship from the Delta Quadrant is back (from its previous appearance in the ragtag fleet in "Twilight." I wonder if it is supposed to represent an Earth Starfleet vessel. It's actually not too alien a design for this assumption (except for the Eaves-style Dominionesque nacelles).

Also, I believe two of the Vulcan ships are the same as T'Pol's granny's observation ship, and the rescue craft that picked her up in the 1950's! So the Vulcans are in the habit of using ships that are over 200 years old?

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Y'know, I just realized a rather large problem with this episode. Daniels said that Vosk's return to his own time is what started the TCW. By stopping him, they caused the TCW never to have happened. Which means Silik and Klaang never would have landed on Earth, the Enterprise never would have visited Qo'noS... Essentially, the entire series never happened.
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, I was under a different impression.

There is a distinction between the temporal cold war (TCW) and the temporal war (TW). All the events up to this two-parter were part of the TCW. However, if Daniels is correct the TCW broke out into a full TW by Vosk making it back from the past to the future. In the full TW agents started altering history outright, including the agent that assassinated Lenin causing the Nazi timeline.

All stopping Vosk did was to bring about the end of the TW, resetting the timelines. However, there is no indication that the TCW is over. Indeed, thats probably why Silik ended up helping Enterprise, Future Guy and the Suliban have as much to lose by a full TW as Daniels.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah. Perhaps you're right. I knew they had mentioned that the war had stopped being cold, but I didn't really pay attention too carefully to which references were to the cold war, and which were to the hot.
Guardian 2000
Member # 743

- posted      Profile for Guardian 2000     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Per Daniels at the end, the actual Temporal War never happened, and the Temporal Cold War was ending thanks to Archer's actions.

--------------------
. . . ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam.

G2k's ST v. SW Tech Assessment

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I for one wished they hadn't ended it. They didn't need the Nazi episodes - but as mentioned earlier... The Klingon involvement, the Tholian involvement, other factions, that TARDIS ship, who Future Guy is, the Role of the Sphere Builders etc etc.

ALSO - I reckon Silik can come back... if he was killed in the past and Archer - according to Daniels, undid everything Vosk did - then Silik didn't die. Only the Enterprise crew and Daniels knew what happened over the last two episodes.

I mean not EVERY episode has to be about the TCW, but I think they should wrap other aspects of it up down the track.

Is this season still only like 12 episodes long?

And what is going to happen to all the future tech Daniels left in his quarters?

And they were DEFINATELY Steamrunners, I know what they look like at that angle, from staring at the background starships from "Call To Arms" for so long!

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No-one seems to have mentioned it yet, but the historical footage in the 'temporal chamber' at the end also included CGI-shots of a spaceplane.

It looked very much like a 3D version of a common X-30 National Aero Space Plane image.

Which means that in the Enterprise timeline, both X-30 NASP and X-33/VentureStar (or a lookalike) were actually produced. Which is more evidence that Star Trek is really an alternative timeline, and not 'our' timeline.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That footage, like just about everything in the background, was archived stock footage from something or other. The X-30 shot you mentioned has been in NASA propaganda films for the last fifteen years at least.

There's also a stock NASA shot of a *completed* ISS in there - further evidence that Enterprise is pretty solidly not in our reality. [Wink]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wes:
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -
 -

Why do they always put the newer looking ships farther away!!! Anyway, fleet caps for all!

Totally awesome pics Wes. [Big Grin] Do you have any pics of the NX-01 flying through the atmosphere and/or destroying the time tunnel in Manhattan??
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Harry:
No-one seems to have mentioned it yet, but the historical footage in the 'temporal chamber' at the end also included CGI-shots of a spaceplane.
Which means that in the Enterprise timeline, both X-30 NASP and X-33/VentureStar (or a lookalike) were actually produced. Which is more evidence that Star Trek is really an alternative timeline, and not 'our' timeline.

*shrug* Or maybe the random images just happened to include CGI-shots of a concept spaceplane.
Who knows what the criteria for images in a random time warp/reset are.

If one of the images was of a 100 metre high bunny, would you assume that exists in Star Trek too? [Wink]

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://enterprise.fotopic.net/ is usually quite good for pictures - they seem to use the same HDTV source I do - but for some reason the only images they have up from part II are off a non-HDTV video file. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Found a slightly wider-screen shot of one of them:

-

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So here's a rundown on the ships:

Starfleet:

NX-class (Enterprise)
Intrepid-type
"Iceland"-type
Arctic One-type
Hazari-type
"Steamrunner"-type
New vessel

Vulcans:

D'kyr-type
Vakhlas-type
T'pol's grandmother's ship
D'vahl-type (T'pol's grandmother's rescue ship)

Note: Yes, I know that it's not conclusive that all the ships that I stated are Starfleet vessels actually are. But with the absence of other civilian vessels, and the likelihood that Starfleet would be defending Earth from the Xindi probe, I'm assuming they are.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Agreed with Harry that the nacelle-less little thing shouts "Spaceflight Chronology, Spaceflight Chronology, beep beep!" as it flies. I'm writing a suitable Guide entry now.

Also agreed that the Hazari and Arctic types are okay for Earth vessels, although they could also be Earth vessels bought from alien manufacturers...

Incidentally, does this fleet mean that all Starfleet hangs around Earth, or within a year's cruise - or that Starfleet in fact has dozens of Intrepids, so that three of them can reach Earth in time?

Timo Saloniemi

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps