Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Weapons array/weapon arrays question. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Weapons array/weapon arrays question.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it's fanboyish, but isn't that the point? Having it go Warp 13, giving it a cloaking device, and equipping the ship with the Big Fuck Off Beam Weapon Of Doom...all fanboy ideas, all making for a delightfully silly moment when the show stopped taking itself seriously.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And if you want to know every canon instance of phaser fire from a GCS, then you have...

1 billion times from the top of the saucer
1 billion times from the bottom of the saucer
Once from the cobrahead of the Stardrive section.
Once from the one on the bottom just behind the deflector dish.
Twice from the torpedo launcher (wrong colour, as well).

(I'd also go with either "weapon arrays", or "weapons arrays".)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Also at least once from the pylon strips (at an impossible angle, but still), in "BoBW".

Did we truly never see the aft arrays fire? Sounds weird, but I'm ready to believe that. The abilities of the ship were rather grossly underused, especially the capacity for a zillion shuttles or other really cool auxiliary craft.

Timo Saloniemi

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The aft phasers were used, though not seen emitting, in "The Nth Degree" against that Cytherian probe.

It's easy to forget the budgetary limitations of early TNG - back then, the very fact that a photon torpedo took up less screen space or time meant that they used them more often than phasers. A writer at a con once said that at the beginning of TNG, every torpedo special effect shot would cost $3000, while a single phaser beam would cost $5000. Result? More torpedoes, or more importantly little direct combat at all.

Of course, nowadays it's both cheaper and simpler to do it CGI. According to Mojo et. al., the CGI folks charge for a) object design time, b) VFX shot design time, and c) rendering time, often as a single package per VFX shot. This generally means that bigger shots, like a zillion shuttles, would actually be feasible. Could you imagine the how long and expensive it'd be to shoot the race in VOY "Drive", or ANY of the fleet shots in DS9, in the old model days?

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say something like 43 years on a meager $5,235,5454,634,339.66 budget.
Captain Boh
Member # 1282

- posted      Profile for Captain Boh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, rendering more objects takes more time, but...
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
Yeah, it's fanboyish, but isn't that the point? Having it go Warp 13, giving it a cloaking device, and equipping the ship with the Big Fuck Off Beam Weapon Of Doom...all fanboy ideas, all making for a delightfully silly moment when the show stopped taking itself seriously.

That was right at season seven's start(okay, with two or three notable exceptions)

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THE PEGASUS WUZZZ #1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

Hey, so is there any similiar profiles for the Akira and Excelsior? I have a pretty good feel for the Excelsior (the best show from the Lakota) but the Akira always seems to be talked up as some big "gunship" but what, if any exist, does the official schematics show?

--------------------

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Errm, I don't want to sound to harsh, but why don't you just visit Bernd's site or any of the million others that offer all the pics and views you want?

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

1) the only info on the Excelsior is an msd of the Enterprise-B which is incomplete/inaccurate on EAS;

2) there is nothing on the Akira in terms of what I am asking at EAS;

so how about you either prove me wrong or stop being so smug for actually making a legitimate inquiry. Besides, I'm not just looking for *any* pics or views, I'm asking specifics.

I'm not looking for some fanboy redition, I'm looking for something that may or may not be available from whatever official or semi-official sources that I may have missed in the numerous magizines and so forth I have not in my possession.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps