Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Enterprise B Docking Hatch (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Enterprise B Docking Hatch
Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the opening of 'Star Trek: Generations' the Enterprise-B is christened by a bottle of champagne (not Picard vineyards) impacting and shattering on the docking hatch.

Where the heck is this hatch? I've searched every pic I can fine, and no hatch. Don't tell me they forgot to include on on the model!

--------------------
'One man's theology is another man's belly laugh.' - Lazarus Long

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Logically, it would have to be on the saucer underside. Otherwise, the bottle cannot get to it (at least not with nothing but stars on the background), and the audience cannot see it impact.

But I have to admit it bothers me as well - it doesn't seem to be a "real" fixture of the vessel.

Timo Saloniemi

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The guys watching the bottle could have been watching it on a monitor or something too. Realistically-speaking, there's practically no way you can see a tiny bottle like that impact on the hull from the distance away they were, unaided anyway.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unless it was a larger-than-ordinary bottle... [Razz]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Computer, replicate a 20 foot bottle of Chateau P�trus, 82."

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always wondered about this too. I thought we had discussed it at some point in a "Design and Creativity" thread... but I don't remember what was decided. I don't think the hull detail from the opening sequence is on the actual model, though.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the bottle must have hit something from the Enterprise-B... the secondary hull perhaps?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe, but the docking hatch was of a similar design to the gangway hatch on the refit E-nil's saucer. The E-nil didn't have that kind of hatch on the secondary hull and the Excelsior model through all its incarnations never had any docking hatches on it.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My guess would be that it was *supposed* to be the main gangway hatch on the secondary hull. The detail doesn't look right for the saucer edge. But, I don't think that detail was actually on the model. We can use our imaginations, though.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As cool as the effect was, the part that got me ticked is that the bottle would've been solid. How does it stay a liquid when outer space average temperature is only a few degrees above absolute zero?

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not in the sun, it ain't. [Smile]

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heat doesn't travel well in a vaccum. (At least as compared to how it travels outside of one.) I imagine there's a formula for figuring out how fast a given object will radiate heat, something complicated involving black bodies and who knows what, but suffice it to say that I don't believe a bottle of champagne is going to freeze solid in the time between someone chucking it out an airlock and its impact.
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, of course, there are eleventeen treknological ways to prevent the bottle from freezing and, more importantly, to make it splash its contents in an Earthly manner when shattered.

The question isn't what laws of physics would dictate - the question is what tradition would dictate, and laws of physics can and will be bent by advanced treknology to allow for the tradition.

Timo Saloniemi

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If nothing else, I'm sure those great big spotlights were putting out a fair bit of heat. Possibly even the ship itself.

Or, y'know, magical particles.

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kirks ego

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps