Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Voyager concept caps (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Voyager concept caps
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interestingly, NCC-73602 still puts it as too late a model to have been in the Cardie Wars. I think that's a good idea though.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lee:
Yes. Curious though, what made the producers turn around and ask for 'some changes' which actually resulted in an almost totally different ship? The only thing that survived was the basic shape and detailing of the saucer.

That may have been discussed in the video, I'll rewatch that and get back with you (all).

quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
I thought the most popular theory amoung fans was that Jeri Taylor wanted the ship to me more curvey, because it had a female captain. No idea if that's true or not.

Rick did mention that they wanted it more curvy but not why. This was referring to the model with the other registry.

--------------------
Hey, it only took 13 years for me to figure out my password...

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That design looks far more formidable that Voyager's sissy little "stub-nacelles".

It represents the large scale of the ship better as well: Voyager never really seemed like something so much larger than the Connie Refit (though, it's supposed to have far more -if never shown- internal volume).

It just does not look as manuverable visually, and I think they were going for something that looked more like a sparrow than a hawk...

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it had to do with the change of the ship to being brand-new (I'd have prefered the "Cardassian war veteran" thing, but in hindsight a brand new ship as the UPN flagship show made more sense than a rusty old workhorse). I looked at "The Art of Star Trek" this morning, and it notes that the model Rick Sternbach built served to "send Richard James' team back to the drawing boards". I'm guessing that they took one look a the model, plain didn't like it, and asked for something new.

Interestingly, a current thread on TrekToday by Sternbach suggests that the producers didn't care all THAT much - as long as it had the requisite features (torpedo launchers, phasers, two nacelles, and a shuttlebay) the writers had all they needed for their stories.

Note for example that Rick incorporated all sorts of neat stuff that were rejected... Deployable nacelles, AWACS pod, absorption shield fins, aeroshuttle, etc. Nothing was used in the end, or if it showed up on the model, it never got used. IIRC, they never really even acknowledged in dialogue that Voyager's warp nacelles could even move, no? The bioneural circuitry was a Macguffin that was never visible on the outside, either.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, what did they actually care about on Voyager? Somehow, the production team didn't seem to have the same kind of enthusiasm as the DS9 crew...

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well their lack of enthusiasm did not prevent Voyager from being among Trek's best....

oh wait.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is there any more concept art concerning the aerowing runabout?

I have always been facinated by it's design.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
http://www.starfleetcom.net/lcars/fsd/art/images/dv-8.jpg

What is annoying is that we've never gotten a good view of the defleector of that model/ship.

The closest view now is in one of the caps above which show a side view of the entire design - the area around the deflector seems to have an Enterprise-B shape to the hull.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
quote:

What is annoying is that we've never gotten a good view of the defleector of that model/ship.

The closest view now is in one of the caps above which show a side view of the entire design - the area around the deflector seems to have an Enterprise-B shape to the hull.

Here Andrew:

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

- posted      Profile for Gvsualan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
quote:

Here Andrew:

Actually Andrew try:

--------------------

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

Er...he wanted to see the DEFLECTOR.

--------------------
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which is in none of the one pictures those three links go to.
Mark Nguyen
I'm a daddy now!
Member # 469

- posted      Profile for Mark Nguyen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are no such pictures online, to my recollection. I once asked Rick about it, and he said it's basically just like the final product's secondary hull - one of the few major parts of the design to remain untouched.

Mark

--------------------
"This is my timey-wimey detector. Goes ding when there's stuff." - Doctor Who
The 404s - Improv Comedy | Mark's Starship Bridge Designs | Anime Alberta

Gvsualan
Perpetual Member
Member # 968

THARE ALL TEH SAME!!??? [Eek!]

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are four lights, yo.

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps