Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » 'lo everyone + Refit Enterprise deck plans (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: 'lo everyone + Refit Enterprise deck plans
The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jason Abbadon:
Firstly, it screams "made in the 1970's!" at every turn-

I have never really understood this argument. You could say the exact same thing about Star Wars, or pretty much anything, for that matter. I mean, does not every production to some extent reflect the aesthetic values of the time period it was made during? Did not TOS scream "made in the 1960s!"? Did not TNG scream "made in the 1980s!"? For me, the fact that a film looks dated has seldom kept me from enjoying it if it's well made.

quote:
Trek is about action and suspense as part of the story, and TMP never really delivers any.
I beg to differ. From the onset, with opening sequence of the Klingons encountering V'Ger, to the climax in Earth orbit, there were both.

quote:
Originally posted by The Ginger Beacon:
What was with the whole 'look' of TFF anyway? I don't mean the sets/costumes etc, I mean what shitty film were they using? You get exactly the same thing with the third Indiana Jones. It's especialy noticable in the scenes with bright sunlight and desert (in both friggin movies). Hadn't they heard of filters then? Good grief!

I'm not quite sure of what you're referring to. As a matter of fact, I always thought that the cinematography of TFF was (on a technical level) rather good, barring one or two poor matte shots. And I can't off-handedly recall *anything* shitty-looking about Last Crusade, either. [Confused]

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

The Ginger Beacon
Member # 1585

- posted      Profile for The Ginger Beacon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's hard to explain - mayby it's just me. There are a number of shot that I think look as if they were kind of artificial(?). While there is nothing wrong with the cinematography in general, there a few shots in TFF that made me think that it looked like it was made for TV rather than for the big screen.

I dunno, mayby i'm bitching at nothing. I certainly can't pin it down. The one bit of the Last Crusade I'm thinking of is a pan over a beautiful white desert (i think with our heroes at the top of a cliff). There is someting that bugs me about the 'look' of that shot.

Sorry Mim, I don't think I'm being very helpful.

On the whole, I do like TFF, it is very tounge in cheek original star trek. Mayby people were just fed up of styrofoam rocks by 1989?

As for the 70's look of TMP, what a load. Just because the film took its time and filled the screen with minutes of sfx, I think that that aded to the tension in the directors cut. I can understand why some people feel that the original cut was boring though, even if i don't agree.

--------------------
I have plenty of experience in biology. I bought a Tamagotchi in 1998... And... it's still alive.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps