Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starfleet regulation 191, article 14: ($$$) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Starfleet regulation 191, article 14: ($$$)
Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starfleet regulation 191, article 14:
"In a combat situation involving more than one ship, command falls to the vessel with tactical superiority."
(from the Voyager episode "Equinox")

This raises some questions:

1. Does this mean that the Defiant is tactically superior to almost (don't know about the Prometheus or Intrepid class) all other Starfleet vessels??

2. And what happens when there are more than one ship of the same 'tactically superior' class??

------------------
"Calm may work for Locutus of the Borg here,
but I'm freaked out, and I intend to stay that way!"

- Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It wouldn't necessarilt be just the class. Remember, the Equinox was badly damaged and therefore not by any means "tactically superior" to Voyager; if it had been Voyager damaged, Ransom would probably have had command.

I'm under the impression that this regulation is only valid in the case where a ship hadn't previously been selected to head a mission or for its captain to make a tactical decision.

For example, the Defiant was already chosen to lead the fleets when it did. Voyager (in "Equinox") was not...

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Federation Shipmaster
Kai Tak Pilot
Member # 15

- posted      Profile for Federation Shipmaster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2. It would probably go to the captain with more command experience or whoever has held the rank longer.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree w/ Elim. It certainly only applies to combat that hasn't been previously planned out.

As far as what happens if two ships are tactically equal, I don't know. Alphabetical order? :-)

------------------
"Merde!"
-commander of Napoleon's army, upon learning that the Duke of Wellington's forces had received assistance and were requesting his surrender

Dan
Member # 129

- posted      Profile for Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Poker works for me. Also, what totally defines tactical superority? If it's firepower than most of the bigger ships win by torpedo payload alone. And if it is, then I believe a Defiant has tactical superority over an Intrepid if Worf's 45 quantum torpedo statement holds water.

You know, I use to like these boards when you could actually look at the thread while you type without opening new windows.....

------------------
Daniel Henderson
Senior Babylon 5 Editor
http://www.myrkr.com

[This message has been edited by Dan (edited July 25, 1999).]

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps it is alphabetical order, but I would think command experience would be the next thing on the list.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Dan
Member # 129

- posted      Profile for Dan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's even more reason now to get an Akira or an Ambassador now.

------------------
Daniel Henderson
Senior Babylon 5 Editor
http://www.myrkr.com

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, there has to be more to this regulation. Otherwise, you could have a situation wherein Red Squad onboard their Defiant gets to take control of the fleet, just because Picard is on an Oberth or something.

------------------
"We kid around a lot about people who are cyclopses, but seriously; if you're a mythic figure you've got challenges that no one should have to deal with."
--
John Flansburgh

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Sol,

If your idea ever came true, I think they would transport the two crews to the other ship.

There is no way Picard (or anyone) would lead a battle from an Oberth.

------------------
It's all about the Pentiums, Baby!

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your right, there's no way Picard would command a fleet while onboard an Oberth! Maybe onboard a Galaxy or Intrepid Class, but why since he is in command of the Enterprise-E!

------------------
"Its origin and purpose, still a total mystery."

-Dedication Plaque quote from the U.S.S. Odyssey

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which could go a long way toward explaining why, when the E-E turned up at the battle of Sector 001, no-one quibbled when Picard took command. No "but you shouldn't even be here - you're disobeying orders!" but instead "heck, we've been shot to sh*t and his vessel kicks righteous ass, sounds like a plan!" 8)
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Lee's got a good point with the First Contact thing... Is it possible one Brannon Braga was attempting to correct something in Trek's past? There's a horriffic thought!

Perhaps there's a "unless command experience is significantly greater" clause?

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, leading a battle from an Oberth is a pretty good idea. The ship could stay a distance from the fighting, dedicated exclusively to commanding the fleet.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"If you feel that there is some intelligent reason why the immortality and happiness of 600 people should outweigh doubled life-spans and freedom from disease for billions, feel free to let me know. Surely, if they were one-tenth as moral and caring as they claimed to be, they would have shared their incredible discovery." - Mike Wong

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

But, Frank, you'd be safer in a runabout!

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, not really.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"If you feel that there is some intelligent reason why the immortality and happiness of 600 people should outweigh doubled life-spans and freedom from disease for billions, feel free to let me know. Surely, if they were one-tenth as moral and caring as they claimed to be, they would have shared their incredible discovery." - Mike Wong

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps