Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Starfleet regulation 191, article 14: ($$$) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Starfleet regulation 191, article 14: ($$$)
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What? They obviously have better shields.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, I really doubt that.

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"If you feel that there is some intelligent reason why the immortality and happiness of 600 people should outweigh doubled life-spans and freedom from disease for billions, feel free to let me know. Surely, if they were one-tenth as moral and caring as they claimed to be, they would have shared their incredible discovery." - Mike Wong

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah! "Treachery, Faith, and the Great River"!

Anyway, back to Regulation 191, Article 14...

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank, it's a science vessel for Pete's sake! Have you seen Star Trek III (i meant 3) ?

------------------
It's all about the Pentiums, Baby!

[This message has been edited by bryce (edited July 28, 1999).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, and there's no Oberth in that movie.

Keep in mind that a command ship generally wouldn't want to actually enter the battle.

------------------
"Seriously though, I love Earth. It's where I keep all my stuff." - Simon Sizer

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Frank, if that's the case, why would the most tactically superior vessel be in command in a chaotic situation?

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

I'm talking about an organised fleet, not a "chaotic situation."

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Bryce: Hey! You edited the message! You said STII before.

------------------

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

That Edit Message function is a sneaky one.

------------------

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You still wouldn't lead a colonization caravan from an Oberth. The Mirandas are more advanced than them and they were killed during the Dominion War.

On Every Trek game they are the most defenseless!

------------------
It's all about the Pentiums, Baby!

[This message has been edited by bryce (edited July 29, 1999).]

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

I agree with Bryce. These are utterly defenseless science ships we're talking about (evidence: Star Trek III, plus they're never used in major battles). Why couldn't the "bad guys" not just sneak up behind the lines and destroy your organised battle by blowing up your Oberth with a couple torpedoes? It's too risky. You're risking losing some of your best people, for no reason. You might as well not even go with light-years of the battle to coordinate it.

------------------

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate to say this, but there were Oberths present at 2 battles against the Borg, at least 1 at Wolf 359 and at least 2 at Sector 001 (First Contact).

------------------
"Calm may work for Locutus of the Borg here,
but I'm freaked out, and I intend to stay that way!"

- Xander, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Oh, yes. I never noticed the First COntact ones, but I distinctly remember the Oberth in "Emissary" not even getting a chance to open fire, let alone be productive, before a single hit destroyed it. Why they sent them (besides as capital punishment) is beyond me.

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Oberths have probably been upgraded over the years, of course.

The Oberth in "Emissary" was not destroyed, just damaged.

------------------

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited July 29, 1999).]

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Crippled is more like it. And it was destroyed (just not in that one shot), unless it was the lone survivor of the battle, as stated in "The Drumhead". That would be laughable.

Enough about Oberths! Regulation 191, Article 14...

------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps