Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Warbird/Ent-D length comparison (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Warbird/Ent-D length comparison
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Having just read Vulcan's Heart, those ships are intended to be modern warbirds. I don't recall a name ever being given to them, though. (The picture on the front shows us a nice big D'deridex, though.) I don't happen to agree with the class being that old.

------------------
"We took a small flight, in the middle of the night, from one tiny place to another."
--
Ben Folds Five

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so if Picard said "type-B", and Data said "D'deridex", then what the hell did Worf say?! *L*

------------------
"I have a shotgun, a shovel, and five acres behind the house. Do not trifle with me."
-from Baloo's cousins' endless supplies of e-mail jokes

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Odds are, he said "Wheapons"

------------------
"You're not quite evil enough. You're semi-evil. You're quasi-evil. You're the margarine of evil. You're the Diet Coke of evil, just one calorie, not evil enough."
-The good Doctor and his son, Scot

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this has nothing to do with ship lengths, but it has been bugging me for a while ever since i thought about it, probably just a misunderstanding. The Enterprise-C existed when starfleet uniforms where still red'n white, right, so that places it before 2350 at least, well I guess you have the correct dates of its service time. The thing is I saw a ("canon")painting of the Enterprise-C defending the klingon outpost as was destined by fate, but the romulans attacking it was D'dericex class!!!
They never came out of hiding until "Neutral Zone" so they couldn't have existed then!

------------------
If I had a drone for every person I've assimilated, I'd be a queen.
(Seven Of Nine starting to develop an ego)

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nimrod.. I know the picture you're referring to, but that things not canon...

Narendra III was 2344, IIRC.

------------------
"You're not quite evil enough. You're semi-evil. You're quasi-evil. You're the margarine of evil. You're the Diet Coke of evil, just one calorie, not evil enough."
-The good Doctor and his son, Scot

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm, seems I've opened a can of worms here. Thanks to everyone for the feedback - I've been away for a couple of days. Thanks Boris, for Probert's original length.

Alot of the DS9 Tech Manual figures seem dodgy. It is hard to accept them as canon even though they come from Sternbach and co.

Warbird lower and upper length limits? I would say between ~900m and (the previously mentioned) 1341m. It is rather difficult to compare ship sizes from watching VFX scenes. It is even more difficult when using vidcaps (the sense of perspective is easily lost in a stationary image).

I agree with Bernd. Every ship class/type/design should have one fixed scale/length. Even the annoying BOP.

I'm pretty sure the Warbirds mentioned in 'Yesterday's Enterprise' are of a different design than the ones that exist now. In 'The Neutral Zone' the D bridge crew were surprised by the menacing appearance of the Romulan ship (implying that they hadn't seen that design before then).

[This message has been edited by Dax (edited August 08, 1999).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starfleet probably didn't know too much about the warbirds that attacked Narendra III either. I don't get the feeling that the Enterprise was given a chance to send any reports back.

------------------
"We took a small flight, in the middle of the night, from one tiny place to another."
--
Ben Folds Five

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the didn't the klingons survive to thank Starfleet?

------------------
If I had a drone for every person I've assimilated, I'd be a queen.
(Seven Of Nine starting to develop an ego)

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somewhere I saw a different representation of the Narendra III battle and the artist came up with a different design for the Romulan ships. I wish I had it on my computer. I liked the design. I doubt the ships that attacked E-C were the class of warbirds we are familiar with since Tasha referred to "the warbirds of that era."

------------------
"Victory is Life!"

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Somewhere I saw a different representation of the Narendra III battle and the artist came up with a different design for the Romulan ships. I wish I had it on my computer. I liked the design. I doubt the ships that attacked E-C were the class of warbirds we are familiar with since Tasha referred to "the warbirds of that era."

------------------
"Victory is Life!"

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, Galen, that line from Tasha certainly is a good piece of evidence supporting the theory. It is a shame that we never got to see the look of the earlier Warbirds. It is also a pity the Romulans don't use anything but D'deridex warships these days. After all, variety is the spice of life. At least the Klingons have different ships.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Regarding the Klingons, relations between them and the UFP weren't too warm at the time. (Better than before Praxis, but nowhere near TNG levels.) They might not have been willing to divulge such data. Especially if the two empires were still trading technology. Perhaps the ships that attacked Narendra III were derived from Klingon designs. Certainly not a very honorable occurance.

------------------
--
Ben Folds Five

Nim
Member # 205

Good enugh for me.

------------------
Hickory Is Nice!!!
(Jem 'Hadar Wash-out)

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

We will probably never be sure exactly what happened at Narendra III. It is also unlikely we will get to see what those old Warbirds were like.

Weren't the Romulans and Klingons already enemies before Narendra III?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

The Romulans and the Klingons were never what you'd call friends. They did have an alliance for some unknown period starting during TOS and ending...well, sometime before TNG. But there was always some animosity in the relationship. As to the formal breakup of the alliance, I'd be willing to bet that economic links were maintained for a time after that. They are harder to break, after all.

------------------
--
Ben Folds Five

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps