Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Warbird/Ent-D length comparison (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Warbird/Ent-D length comparison
warbird5
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bringin back an old topic

Are both warbird sizes stronger than the Galaxy or the larger type A class.

IP: Logged
Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are Two types of Warbirds the D'Deredix and the D'Kasanak both are larger then the galaxy but the d'derdix is the smaller one of the two and the D'K is about twice the size of the Galaxy .

------------------
"Marge .. Do you have other men in this House ? .. Radioactive men?"
~Homer "The Simpsons"
http://www.geocities.com/travlyn2

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the D'deridex has (at least) 2 sub types, -A and -B. Which are probably not of the same size.

------------------
"Reality is a condition that occurs because of a lack of alcohol."
- Albert Einstein

(-=\V/=-)

warbird5
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you haven't answered my question. Is the smaller Warbird type stronger than a Galaxy?
IP: Logged
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think that the Type-A is the D'K..... from The Romulan Prize - cause there was only one type and it had just been built - and this was AFTER The Neutral Zone and the Neutral Zone Warbird is about 1200m where as the book Warbird was about 2000m... I just think its either a one off or definately in that book alternate universe... not a bad book though...

I think That the E-D could take out a Type-B warbird - but they warbird from Tin Man did reduce the E-D's shields by 75% - although it was a suprise attack.

The Warbird in "The Face of the Enemy" - the one that Troi was on - they were "scared" of the E-D since it was a Galaxy class ship... maybe this was a Type C - reduced to menial cargo runs?

------------------
"All the lonely people, where do they all come from" - Eleanor Rigby, The Beatles.

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dought that The Romulan Prize was in an Alternate Reality , wasent it an Episode? im not sure

Well in my Opinion The Galaxy can destroy any class of warbird well except for the D'K or that Type A because of its size and Tactical Superiouity but if the Captain is experianced and concidering it is a fair fight I guess anything is possible , but fair fights with Romulans are few and far between :-)

------------------
"Marge .. Do you have other men in this House ? .. Radioactive men?"
~Homer "The Simpsons"
http://www.geocities.com/travlyn2

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It would stand to reason that "Type A" and "Type B" are Starfleet names for Romulan ships, used because the real Romulan names at first were unknown. It would also seem logical that Type A would be the first type observed - and unless told otherwise, we'd have to assume that this was the ship in TNG "The Neutral Zone". A later, apparently smaller type would be dubbed Type B and later given the proper Romulan name D'Eridex.

It is of course possible that Romulan ships were spotted even before "TNZ", or that agents gave partial information on them. But why wasn't Picard told more of this? Or, if he *was* told in that secret conference at the beginning of the episode, why didn't he tell his crew more?

It is also possible that Type A was in fact an earlier Romulan design, perhaps the one that maimed Enterprise-C at Narendra III. Starfleet might not have gotten much info out of that, since the E-C was destroyed - thus the claim that there was no info on Romulans between the Tomed Incident and "TNZ" could still be true. But the Klingons might have given some sort of description of the Romulan ships, enough to justify a tentative designation of "Type A Warbird"...

Timo Saloniemi

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I support the idea that the Type A Warbird is from Narendra III ("Yesterday's Enterprise") and is the forerunner to the Warbird of today. Of course the Type A was completely different in appearance to what we now know as a Warbird.

All the Warbirds from "TNZ" and onwards are the Type B D'deridex-class. We can simply thank the VFX people for apparent variations in its size.

It's nice to see that the first thread I ever created is still alive and well.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We get into tricky territory here, Dax - basically even if the effects guys stuffed it up - what we saw was what we got - Two distinctly different sizes of Romulan Warbirds - the huge-ass WB from TNZ and the smaller - more common Warbird from "Contagion", "Tin Man", "Face of the Enemy" and "The Pegasus" to name a few.

------------------
"All the lonely people, where do they all come from" - Eleanor Rigby, The Beatles.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interestingly, the ships that have the worst scaling problems (Warbird, BoP, Defiant) all come equipped with a cloak. It would only be prudent to equip cloaking devices with a "cat in a corner" feature that increases or decreases the apparent size of the vessel as desired. The Romulans would certainly have used the feature in their first-ever encounter with the E-D, dropping it later when the Feds knew better and could no longer be fooled. Klingon BoPs would also most certainly use it in "The Defector", the episode with the largest BoPs to date, to intimidate the opponents.
And whenever the E-D met Gowron or Duras or K'Mpec in space, the size of their ships actually depended on the size of their ego...

And the Defiant might suffer from size discrepancies simply because the crew doesn't know how to use the Romulan cloak. Nog: "Sir, I've always wondered... what is this knob at the side of the cloaking device, with these strange x0.5, x1, x2, x5 and x10 markings?"
"It's the, er, crossnumerificator. Just turn it like this and these little lights change to a more pleasing pattern. And it sounds different, too." "But what does it DO, Sir?"

Timo Saloniemi

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is of course possible that Romulan ships were spotted even before "TNZ",

Does no-one remember "Angel One"? The Enterprise is ordered to the Neutral Zone in response to Starfleet's detection of Romulan warship movements on the opposite side of the Zone ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff, he was talking about Romulan Battlecruisers. That could mean anything....=)

------------------
Re: Russia in WWII

"Hey, we butchered Poles! Thats OK."
- DT.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Woah! This thread is nearly 2 years old!

------------------
Homer: I'm gonna miss Springfield. This town's been awfully good to us.
Bart: No, it hasn't, Dad. That's why we're leaving.
Homer: Oh, yeah. [pokes his head out the window] So long, Stinktown!

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jeff likes living in the past.

------------------
"I can be creative when I have a good idea. That just happens way too rarely."
-Omega, April 6

Treknophyle
Member # 509

- posted      Profile for Treknophyle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Timo:
The "Cat-in-the-Corner" technical theory is brilliant!
Naturally, if the cloak can bend light, this would be a relatively simple addition.

------------------
Faster than light - no left or right.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps