Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » A few Dominion War images (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: A few Dominion War images
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I thought you ran away.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SSTTTttt!!!
Be quiet!
I'm lurking around, to see what others are posting.

Don't tell anyone that I am still here

------------------
"Okay! No more mister knive guy!"

- Jim West, Wild Wild West

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even I've had enough of the 560 feet business. Best answer I was able to come up with: it was someone's quick plug-it-into-DS9 estimate which made it into David Stipes' charts (like the false Miranda and Akira sizes), and then into the DS9 tech manual because Rick knew very little about the ship for the size to seem wrong to him. The Master Situation Display was worked on by Doug Drexler, Herman Zimmerman, Mike Okuda and a few other folks has 110 meters, and if it were intended to be 560' long, then the spacing of Engineering Decks 1 and 2 would have to be 19 feet, which it obviously isn't.

Back to the registry, it probably isn't that difficult to change the reg from NX to NCC on the actual computer model (as some have said), but once they do that, the problem is that they cannot use the established stock footage any longer. I just remembered Rick or Mike Okuda saying that online.

It's obvious that whoever thought that he/she could use the Valiant copy of the model for the Defiant forgot to change the reg number. I even heard something about a completely different model being built, but don't recall the details.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Altair: You're lucky I have a sense of humour.

I agree, I like the 110-120m length. BTW how do you create those smiley face things (I'm new to this)?

Boris: Rick should be ashamed of himself. Most of us could have done a better job documenting the Defiant. Ha, I even prefer the look of the Defiant over Voyager. Anyway, enough Sternbach bashing (until the Voyager Manual comes out).
Do you mean a new physical model?

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, DS9 'Tears of the Prophets')

[This message has been edited by Dax (edited August 14, 1999).]

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The issue with Rick Sternbach is that his knowledge is very specialized. You can spend days asking about Excelsiors, Defiants, Akiras, Steamrunners and get a "dunno" response, but try asking about Voyager and you'll never want to know anything about that ship again No, it's a good thing, and should really help the VoyTM.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Would Rick Sternbach be able to say why Voyager kept on launching one too many shuttles and why the Aeroshuttle has never been used, even before the crew built the Delta Flyer?

------------------
"Its origin and purpose, still a total mystery."

-Dedication Plaque quote from the U.S.S. Odyssey

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

Shuttles are constantly constructed from stored and replicated parts (he imagines a type of storage room next to the main shuttlebay). I don't remember what (or whether) he ever said anything about the AeroShuttle, but since it's just a plain runabout with wings, it probably isn't as exciting as the new Type-8/9 shuttles and the Delta Flyer. Remember, they're constantly trying to make each show visually unique.

Boris

------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I find it hard to believe that they can construct so many shuttles from scratch, let alone the Delta Flyer. The Aeroshuttle is not guaranteed to look like a Runabout because we have never seen it. Yes, I know the bottom looks similar to a Runabout, but that's only the bottom.

It would have been more believable (and rewarding to viewers) to use the Aeroshuttle instead of creating the Flyer out of nothingness. After all, they are probably much the same thing.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, DS9 'Tears of the Prophets')

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

Tell that to Paramount - it tooks some time to convince them to stick to an Excelsior as Ent-B, and then on the condition that it was modified.

Boris

------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

Don't stress, Boris, I'm not blaming you for Paramounts need to "entertain".

Its funny how far we've diverged from the original topic...

------------------

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We are the Digressors.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps