Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Upcoming shuttle chart (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Upcoming shuttle chart
Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This might be the place to point out that Chakotay's raider works out to 44m O.L. (or 1/2 VFX size), using the width of the pilots' two-window port as a reference.

Here's how I did it. The port is only visible in the final ramming scene, and like the rest of the cockpit, it very much resembles the runabout interior (probably a reuse of the set). Great, now if I could only find it on the Fact Files Maquis front view...IT'S THERE, even on the actual model on page 215 of TNG: The Continuing Mission. Perfect.

The rest was a simple matter: get the size of the port on a runabout, use it to determine the overall size using Fact Files schematics.

Boris

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited August 17, 1999).]

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some annotations:

Galaxy captain's yacht: The TNGTM says it's only 10m by 18m, but this is impossible, unless the elliptical thing underneath the Galaxy saucer is not the complete captain's yacht, but only a hatch which coincidentally looks like the yacht itself. So I get 42m x 23m for the yacht. The chart shows the side view, considering the supposed flight orientation of the ellipsoid.

Type 10: This is a compromise, of course, taking into account the outside and inside views from "Sound of her Voice" and a Defiant length of 120m. I don't trust the shuttlebay sketch in the DS9TM where the shuttle is almost as long as the hatch diameter.

Vulcan shuttle: The Fact Files say it's 48m.

Peregrine: I reduced the size to 20m, because when I compared it to the other small spacecraft, the cockpit would have been huge at 30m.

Academy trainer: I'm waiting for a schematic. Currently the only suited reference image is on Steve's site.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Delta Flyer: 5.5m tall in the shuttlebay scene in "Extreme Risk". Since the suttlebay doors of Voyager are 5.5m tall as well, I scaled down the DF's height a little bit. Assuming that Black Knight's proportions are correct, I get a length of 17m. Maybe the inside looks larger than the outside, but in my experience the interior size is often overestimated.
Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd: Rick Sternbach confirmed the mistake in the Yacht measurements a while ago - he basically measured out 1/2 of the ellipse and forgot to multiply everything by two.

As for the Type-10, we really need to see what the interior looks like. Note that the 9.64m length in the DS9TM would fit the fact that most shuttles have been 2-3 meters tall - have you tried putting people inside the diagrams to see what answer you'd get? (Actually, I'll try that one again, since the Defiant my favorite...). Need interior pics/reports, though - what set could it have reused?

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't think Voyager's shuttlebay doors were over a deck tall.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At 6m the Type-10 top view compares well to the Defiant-pod top view at 4.5m. The Type-10 cant be longer than 6m if the Defiant is 120m. They really didn't show much of the interior set (probably on purpose). Maybe the Type-10 is actually the most advanced pod, rather than being a proper shuttle.

Side note: In the DS9TM it says that the pod hasn't got warp engines. In 'The Search' the pod must have travelled a long way from the Defiant to the Founder Homeworld. It would have taken forever without warp.

The Voyager shuttlebay door is roughly 1.5 decks tall.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, DS9 'Tears of the Prophets')

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, it'd prollay be too hard but what about all the shuttles we see landing on Veridian III in Star Trek: Generations!?!

and also the Toran Class Klingon Shuttle seen in 'Gambit Part II' - I just thought of this after seeing the rom-about

NICE chart BTW!

------------------
"All is full of love, all around you" - Bj�rk

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All the shuttles from Generations are represented, as far as I can tell. Even the upside down Sydney. (Or right side up shuttle, depending upon your point of view.)

------------------
"Hey Mr. Boo, fly away home. Your house is so lovely, your children so nice."
--
Hello (The Band)

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

The blue shuttle from "Generations" is the orbital shuttle in my chart, unless I get to see a close shot that shows more differnces than just another color.

I think I will include the Toron shuttlecraft in the next update, probably also the Ferengi shuttle.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Peregrine is about 31m, actually... that's not a single-person cockpit but what appeared to be a redress of the shuttlepod set.

And the Type-10's too damn small at 6m, ignoring The Amazing Shrinking Defiant altogether.

*grumbles at Lee's Peregrine comments* And I thought I'd trained all you old hands....

------------------
"You're not quite evil enough. You're semi-evil. You're quasi-evil. You're the margarine of evil. You're the Diet Coke of evil, just one calorie, not evil enough."
-The good Doctor and his son, Scot

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it just me or does the picture seem kind of fuzzy when it pulls up? Not the crispness of the other two starship pictures.

------------------
"Victory is Life!"

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

The Sovereign captain's yacht and the Peregrine had to be scaled up, up so these two look fuzzy. If this applies to the other ones as well, then it was probably the connection that was reset before the end of the data transfer. I know sometimes this happens repeatedly, even if you press "reload".
Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well issue 6 of The Magazine just came out and again, no Delta Flyer section. Too bad. The diagram and information would help with your shuttlecraft chart.

------------------
Inspected by #10
Federation Starship Datalink

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

Maybe I'm relieved for now. If they settle on a size for the DF it could be taller than the shuttlebay door. Were there any ship diagrams or information in the latest issue?
Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I viewed it again from my browser at work and it looks perfect. I was especially glad to have nice side-view pics of the Kazon "torpedo" and the STVI shuttle. You always seem to have pics that no one else does. You don't by any chance have a fact files picture of the Bajoran transport from DS9?

------------------
"Victory is Life!"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps