Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Possible origin of 560ft Defiant (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Possible origin of 560ft Defiant
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Check out this picture I scanned from the Fact Files.
Defiant Bridge Location

OK, if we provide the ship with a 560ft length, the highlighted bit is about 9.5m long. The bridge set is roughly 9m long and fits rather nicely enclosed in this location.

Could this be the origin of the infamous 560ft length?

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, DS9 'Tears of the Prophets')
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, no.
After all the questions about the size, they just pinned it to 560ft (170.7m).

------------------
"You don't need a gun."
"That depends on your definition of 'save sex'."

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Surely they didn't just pull the figure from out of the air. I would like to give them more credit than that.
Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The theory is just as good as any other. What they all probably have in common is the "quick-estimate" syndrome.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it just me or is the highlighted said bridge in that pic misproportioned? (If so, wouldn't that make a difference...?)

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

Actually, one thing I would really like to know - the exact length of the Defiant bridge set. 9m was an educated guess but still only a guess.

Oh yeah, I'm not sure how accurate the schematic is. I know it slightly differs from the DS9TM one.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, DS9 'Tears of the Prophets')
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just didn't think the bridge set was so much of a rounded triangle...

Since the set itself is now dismantled, the only way one could find out is to get one's hands on a copy of the Defiant bridge set blueprints... Hey, that would be nice...

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FWIW, the above diagram and the DS9TM one don't match up.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Yes, I routinely run any car with Canadian plates off the road. It makes it easier to yank them out, blind them, and put them to work in my underground salt mine." - Simon Sizer

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go figure...now I'd like the same people who said the Defiant was 170m to tell me why the hell the Aeorwing shuttle on Voyager was never seen fully or used at all in the Voyager TM.

------------------
"All you people, can't you see, can't you see
How your love's affecting our reality
Everytime we're down
You can make it right
And that makes you larger than life"

-Backstreet Boys

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

Uhh... the Voyager TM isn't out yet so we can't really tell that the Aerowing won't be in it.

And besides, canonically, there is not necessarily an Aerowing Shuttle, yet there is a Defiant length, so why would comparing messing up one and not using the other be significant? *is a tad confused*

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't you see? Both ships were designed by the Freemasons!

------------------
"And much of Madness, and more of Sin, and Horror the soul of the plot."
--
The Conqueror Worm, by Edgar Allan Poe

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

There are 4 things that make me think 560ft is feasible for the Defiant -

1. The existance of the relatively small escape pods. 12 pods to cater for 50 crew. Now, these pods would be too small at 120m, yet nicely sized at 170m

2. The shuttlebay. The bay door and shuttle itself are horribly small at 120m, 170m works here.

3. A 170m Defiant compares well to a 110m BoPrey (going by visual evidence). Of course, this comparison relies on the BoP size.

4. Comparisons with the DS9 station. Again, this depends on the station scale.

Yes, I realize that 120m has often been used, I'm just making the point that the larger size still has significance.

As for the AeroWing, what else would that pattern on the bottom of Voy's saucer represent? The vessel probably exists but just hasn't been used. Hopefully the Tech Manual will cover it.

------------------
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I reckon that the aerowing shuttle was originally going to be Chakotay's ship - which docked there... but the story got changed after the Voyager design had been finalised. There are SOME similarities between the aerowing shuttle and Chakotay's ship.

------------------
"All is full of love, all around you" - Bj�rk

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

I doubt it, somehow. Why would a Starship be designed to dock with a Maquis ship? What would have been at the Voy's saucer bottom until they encountered the Maquis? You're describing a paradox, AndrewR.
Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dax: I'm still puzzling over the size of that shuttle. Need to see more of the interior to make an accurate guess. DS9 is *something* of a problem since the Defiant has to fit structurally in that dock. Escape pods: does anyone have screencaps of these launching?

As for the AeroShuttle (it's no longer AeroWing since the producers forgot to copyright the name before someone used in a Duffy Duck show) - the theory is intriguing since Chakotay's ship reuses the runabout cockpit, and the AeroShuttle is supposed to be a runabout with wings. Still, I'm not sure that the crew would have modified the underside to allow the ship to dock...

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps