Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » This Month in Star Trek Magazine... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: This Month in Star Trek Magazine...
Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

1) Designing the Breen Ship (with John Eaves). Several nice preproduction sketches with labeled systems, as well as a small three-view CGI blueprint set. Unfortunately they do not show what the configuration of systems on the radically different FINAL version is supposed to be, or give any specs other than that. BTW, Doug Drexler fleshed out the ship from Eaves sketches and did the basic 3D shapes for Digital Muse to build on.

2) The Okudagram-article doesn't have the Defiant MSD, but it's got something even better: a perfect 3D exterior side-view of the Equinox with the central section cut in MSD style (remember the MSD scanning cursor looking for that generator?). Finding the size should be a breeze if we assume that the eight decks span 110 feet (six 13' and two 16' decks according to Rick Sternbach).

As for the visible MSD section, it shows that the impulse reactors span decks 1 and 2 (huge reactors), with two deuterium tanks on deck 3. The warp core spans decks 5-8, with Engineering on deck 7. The nav deflector spans decks 6 and 7, while the forward torpedo launcher is placed on deck 5. That's all I can say with relative certainty.

There is also a briefing on the Cardassians (with Galor blueprints), as well as an Enterprise Design Lineage (large foldout with all six ships on it). I find these briefings relatively uninteresting as they pretty much rehash the manuals, barring a few comments derived directly from episodes. Also, a holodeck/replicator briefing, as well as a Bormanis article on weaponry (really basic with an interesting bit about a 75,000 volt stun setting on Pike's lasers).

NEXT ISSUE: Delta Flyer technical specs, blueprints and design history (Yippie!). Kazon tech briefing with raider description, as well as a Vulcan tech briefing with Vulcan ships.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ooh, weaponry. Zathras ask for scans of all weapons stuff, but no-one listen. Very sad.

And I can't wait to see this Equinox side-view. I'm VERY glad that I'd temporarily abandoned my attempts to recreate it from the paltry vidcaps I have!

------------------
"The next time the workplace seems especially hectic, remind yourself it could be worse: you could have two-dozen sharp-toothed creatures chewing on your nipples." - James Lileks

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Delta Flyer next month? I hope so, I was looking forward to it when I first saw it in the next issue section then it was a no-show for 3 issues now.

------------------
"Let's make sure that history never forgets the name...Enterprise."
Federation Starship Datalink - Yet another site based on the popularity of starships.

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I posted the Equinox Okudagram and measured it out using Rick Sternbach's 110-foot eight-deck-span. Overall length: 220 meters this way, 200 meters assuming the human is 1.8m tall.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am still waiting for the new issue. I had gotten used to it arriving about 3 days prior to the release date listed in the previous issue. Not this time. Sep. 23 has come and gone and it still has not arrived in my area.

------------------
"Victory is Life!"

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Really Galen? Same here. The major bookstores over here haven't gotten #7 of The Magazine yet. Usually they get copies in a few days early too so this is starting to piss me off that it's late.

------------------
"Let's make sure that history never forgets the name...Enterprise."
Federation Starship Datalink - Yet another site based on the popularity of starships.

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

Ok, I got mine specifically in New York City, Midtown Comics (you go down the Seventh avenue from the Penn station and it's in 30-something Street). Haven't seen it in any of the other comic shops, magazine stores, etc. Where is this published anyway?

Boris

------------------

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

BTW, here's an implication. Is Nova a Pathfinder shape or The Pathfinder with an Ent-nil like refit? Rick Sternbach's comment about an admiral saying "You're not using that, are you?" might be interpreted as using the actual ship as opposed to merely the shape. Should that be the case, then the two are the same length. And we all know what this could mean...

Boris

------------------

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great news

------------------
"Invaders from the fifth dimension!" - or: the canon proof that subspace is the same as hyperspace
Ex Astris Scientia

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd guess it's published in NYC. *checks...*

*O_o* It comes from Norwalk, Connecticut. And yet Frank cannot get it...

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Norwalk is closer to New York than to me, although to be honest, I've never done an extensive search for the magazine; I've just never seen it.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Yes, I routinely run any car with Canadian plates off the road. It makes it easier to yank them out, blind them, and put them to work in my underground salt mine." - Simon Sizer

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

I doubt that it is that much in demand, since the contents are very much specialized. The conceptually similar TOS and TNG sketchbook never sold that well (which is why there won't be a DS9 or a VOY one according to Margaret Clark), and then the DS9TM isn't usually seen in every bookstore. I'm trying to grab every issue to get the designer sketches/interviews and blueprints while they're out.

Boris

------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I reckon the Equinox can separate!

have a look - that could be a battle bridge there by the left most set of brackets...

little orange dome shaped thing...

and there is a good separation line, below the deuterium tanks.

------------------
"All is full of love, all around you" - Bj�rk

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If that is true, it will be the smallest ship that is able to seperate....
I thought seperation was a large ship only thing??

Davok
Member # 143

- posted      Profile for Davok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks more like sickbay to me

------------------
"Take it from me: it's a lot more fun asking questions than answering them." (Garak)

USS Allegiance NCC-74813
http://davok.cjb.net

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps