Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Miscellaneous things to know.... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous things to know....
Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...from my weekly scavenger hunt through New York's bookstores. Forgive me if you've seen this already, but it seemed kinda interesting and relevant to some of our past discussions. I haven't purchased any of the books referred to below, these are just a couple of notes I made:

1) The Jenolan was named after the Jenolan caves in Australia. That should take care of the spelling SWDAO. Ron Moore (who wrote "Relics") visited the place some time prior to episode, and that's also where the name Sydney comes from, BTW (TNG Companion).

2) I mentioned this in the Story Treatment thread already: much of the model work in Star Trek III was based on sketches rather than blueprints. Each of the ships/structures went through several prototypes before the final miniatures were constructed. The BoP went through two of them, and it was during the actual model construction that the decision was made to make it a Klingon (as opposed to a Klingon-owned) ship. Also, the whaling ship is really a 140-foot long WWII minesweeper, which should allow us to determine the scale of the BoP in the overhead shot. (The Making of Trek Films)

3) Two miniatures of the STV Galileo shuttle were built: a 5' long 1/6 scale model, as well as a 2.5' long 1/12 scale model. This results in an overall length of 30 feet or 9.1 meters. A corresponding 1/6 shuttlebay set was built and it was more than 20 feet wide, which means that the whole thing is about 120+ feet wide. (The Making of Trek Films)

4) The crew complement of Voyager is given as 125 in the first season writers' bible, and there are twenty Maquis aboard besides Chakotay and B'Elanna.

5) The Star Trek Compendium reproduces the original 1964 Star Trek outline to some extent. It's quite similar to the one in "The Making of Star Trek", barring an interesting bit in the ship specifications: a maximum speed of 0.73 light-years per hour.

6) In Stephen Poe's Voyager: Vision of the Future, the ship is referred to as a "no-nonsense destroyer/frigate" by a couple of producers, including Rick Sternbach. The latter also speculates there that the Intrepid class started its R&D phase ten years after the Galaxy (or 2353). There are also a couple of memos correlating the crew complement to the ship's length, which was set at about 1000 feet in the final stages. The registry was decided upon by Rick Berman based on Mike Okuda's suggested range of 73000+ ("I know it's trivial, but there are fans who freeze-frame VCRs" etc etc...much pleading necessary for this basic level of consistency). He also expressed worries about a sustainable cruise velocity of 9.975, noting that this means 10-12 years of travel rather than 75. It was suggested that the line be changed to Warp 9.0, but nobody listened. This doesn't really matter, of course, since 'sustainable' can also mean sustainable for only 10 minutes.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nice job on the research. By any chance have you uncovered any info reguarding Wolf 359?

------------------
"All you people, can't you see, can't you see
How your love's affecting our reality
Everytime we're down
You can make it right
And that makes you larger than life"

-Backstreet Boys

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks -what do you mean? It's a real star, 36 hours away at Warp 9 according to the TNG Companion. A few class names are given in the notes which I haven't written down. I'm sure that Bernd and other people could tell you much more about the various kitbashes than I could .

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited October 09, 1999).]

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Even if Ron Moore bludgeons us, I doubt we could all ever agree on how to spell Jenol[insert vowel here]n.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jenolyn

------------------
Go brain go.
-Qualcomm sloagan

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

There is nothing to argue about, really. The class of ships started with an Australian city, and included a place in Australia. It is quite obvious that the Jenolan caves were intended here, just as it's obvious that the Mekong and the Rio Grande are named after the rivers, in tradition established by the first U.S.S. Danube.

Now, as for the spelling, we have Jenolin (model) and Jenolan (Okudagram). I probably need not restate all the instances in which the hull markings are plainly incorrect (or being deliberately changed) with respect to the scenic art. U.S.S. Defiant NCC-74210, U.S.S. Sao Paulo/Defiant NX-74205, U.S.S. Brittain (versus the intended Brattain), U.S.S. Prometheus NX-59650 etc, etc.

Boris

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited October 10, 1999).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, IMO, the only error in the above examples is the NCC-74210.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I can't find any good quotations." - Frank G

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How can the new Defiant NX-74205 not be an error?

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they changed the registry on the hull for sentimental reasons. Or maybe to spite the Dominion. "Didn't we destroy that ship?" "D'oh!"

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
74210? That would be the Valiant, IIRC. What's wrong with it?

------------------
"I consider the foundation of the Constitution as laid on this ground: That "all powers not delegated to the United States, by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States or to the people . . ." To take a single step beyond the boundaries thus specially drawn around the powers of Congress is to take possession of a boundless field of power, no longer susceptible of any definition."
- Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1791

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

This is.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jynnohlyn.

------------------
'In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to Liberty; he is always in allegiance to the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection of his own." ---- Thomas Jefferson

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... Let's get George Bernard Shaw in here so we can go ghotiing for new spellings... :-)

*wonders how many people will understand that reference*

------------------
"It'd be a pity if every pencil on Earth suddenly collapsed in on itself and blew everything up."
-Krenim, TNO chat, September 30, 1999

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Sounds fishy.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With regard to the new Defiant having the same registry as the old, the real reason is that they reused the footage (REUSED the footage in the series finale you ask...). There is no other explanation. When the name Enterprise was reused, they stuck an A on the registry, for the very reason that NO TWO SHIPS HAVE THE SAME REGISTRY.....EVER!! That's the whole point of registries, to differentiate ships.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps