Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Miscellaneous things to know.... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous things to know....
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh well, the finale wasn't about the biggest and best battle ever, anyway.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) I think "Jenolan" is the only choice. The hull marking wasn't readable anyway, unlike the wrong or questionable numbers of the Defiant, Prometheus and Br[a,i]ttain.

2) The information about the whaling ship is interesting. This would make the BoP much larger than 100m, as opposed to all other scenes in this movie. It is obvious that the Romulan reference must have been fropped in the course of the model construction. This is exactly what the BoP looks like. I wonder what stage the gray raw model in The Art of Star Trek (?) represents.

4) The authors didn't use this figure from the very beginning. There must have been 140 Starfleet + 20 Maquis or 130 Starfleet + 30 Maquis.

5) This speeds sounds very sensible. Fast enough in order not to spend all eternity to cross only the core of the Federation (comprised of planets which must be at least 100 LY across), and slow enough to restrict the area of operation.

6) Warp 9.975 is noticeably faster than any other ship. While I don't deny that it could be possible, could it be someone accidentally inserted another digit and it should read 9.75?

Boris: What do you remember about the kitbashes? Freedom/Firebrand, Niagara/Princeton, Rigel/Tolstoy, Challenger/Buran, Excelsior study, ST II study?

------------------
Get your free signature at Ex Astris Scientia

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Definitely 9.975. They've said it at least two or three times in the latter fifth and the beginning of the sixth seasons.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd: sorry, haven't read the part about the kitbashes at all. Will try to do so next time.

Now, as far as Voyager's crew complement is concerned: they started out with 141, and were up to 152 or 154 by the time of "37's". I always kinda assumed that several people died during Caretaker's initial shove, and this Maquis figure would place the number at about 11-13.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*looks at picture*

Ah...

------------------
"I consider the foundation of the Constitution as laid on this ground: That "all powers not delegated to the United States, by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States or to the people . . ." To take a single step beyond the boundaries thus specially drawn around the powers of Congress is to take possession of a boundless field of power, no longer susceptible of any definition."
- Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1791

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were 140 crew members mentioned in "The 37's", in subsequent episodes it was always something in between 140 and 150, although a couple of ensigns were killed. In "Timeless" it is stated that there are 150, without Harry and Chakotay, and in "Dark Frontier" the Borg detect less than 150 again.
Jim Phelps
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I'm pretty sure that it was 150-something in "37's", not 140. Anyone have the episode to check?

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
155, I believe. In "Dark Frontier" the Borg detect 143 on board. . .
Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, at least that's the Jenolan question settled at last.
SWDAO Case Closed.

Now, something different.
Upon watching 'Emmisary' the other day, I was wondering what were the names of the

• The Excelsior that gets it's hull blown off - I've heard 'Melbourne' mentioned.
  • The Nebula that flies in formation with the
  • The Ambassador. I'm certain it's not a Galaxy.
  • The ship that blows up outside Sisko's quaters.
  • The ship that's seen to the top right of the Saratoga as it bites the dirt.

AAAAA, as per.

------------------
"So, no room for Bender, huh? Well I'll build my own lunar lander, with blackjack, and hookers.
In fact, who needs a lander, or blackjack?
Ah, screw the whole lot o' ya!"
-- Bender, Futurama.

[This message has been edited by Gaseous Anomaly (edited October 13, 1999).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The name was almost certainly intended to be Jenolan, but the model still said Jenolin.

As for the Emissary ships, the first is the Melbourne, the second is the Bellerephon, the third is the Yamaguchi, and the fourth is the Oberth-class Bonestell. The fifth was probably meant to be the wrecked saucer of the Melbourne, according to "The Making of Deep Space Nine."

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I can't find any good quotations." - Frank G

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can't we just accept that the model spelling was a mistake in a similar way that the Prometheus rego was bungled?

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, because that which is shown on-screen is canon, just like the Prometheus's registry.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

Actually, Jenolan was also shown onscreen on the Okudagram. I checked it out, the capital A is unmistakeable.

Boris

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Of course, the computer could be wrong. Oh well.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited October 14, 1999).]

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cheers, Frank.
Doymond geeza. Now I'm happy.

*Wonders what in the hell an Oberth-class ship was doing going up against the Borg:

"Look Captain, there's a cloud of dark matter half-a-parsec the far side of Wolf 359."
"Well then Ensign, in order to investigate it to the standard that we ourselves have set for tedious number-crunching ,we'll jolly well have to go straight through where our boys'll be giving the Boche, I mean the Borg, one in the eye! Tally-ho!"

------------------
"So, no room for Bender, huh? Well I'll build my own lunar lander, with blackjack, and hookers.
In fact, who needs a lander, or blackjack?
Ah, screw the whole lot o' ya!"
-- Bender, Futurama.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps