Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Miscellaneous things to know.... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Miscellaneous things to know....
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Weyoun speak* The canon... will prevail!

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank: the computer spelling + historical spelling of an Australian feature that was used as the name of a ship belonging to a class named after an Australian city would form a rather strong coalition against the lonely hull painter if the matter were taken to vote...

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree completely, but in terms of the Trek universe, the ship was still labeled "Jenolin."

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I can't find any good quotations." - Frank G

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, Frank, according to your interpretation of canon, the Andromeda, Antares, Bradbury, etc, etc, and more etc classes do not exist, since they were never seen OR mentioned on screen. But we KNOW they exist, since they obviously need to belong to some class. Therefore, since we KNOW that it is named after the Jenolan Caves, and we know the spelling of Jenolan, therefore, IT IS JENOLAN!

------------------
"I am Sci-Fi"
-The 359

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of those classes were all on Okudagrams etc. This is why the new Encyclopedia doesn't give classes for ships like the Centaur...there simply wasn't one defined anywhere in an episode. And, for that matter, the Encyclopedia says this ship is named the Jenolen.

I'm not saying that the ship is called the Jenolin, but that was the name on the hull, and so the problem can't be definitively resolved.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always gone for Jenolan *makes sure he's spelt it correctly* because it was a lot clearer on the Okudagram, while I couldn't even see the name on the model. . .
Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Next on the U.S.S. Enterforum: Shadows embark on a plan of chaos to define canon for the galaxy! Stay tuned.

------------------
Elim Garak: "Oh, it's just Garak. Plain, simple Garak. Now, good day to you, Doctor. I'm so glad to have made such an... interesting new friend today." (DS9: "Past Prologue")

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a suggestion, Frank. How about, if two conflicting pieces of information are given, we accept the one that was obviously intended to be true? Make sense?

Here's an idea. How about a forum devoted solely to resolving debates over what's canon and what isn't?

------------------
"I consider the foundation of the Constitution as laid on this ground: That "all powers not delegated to the United States, by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States or to the people . . ." To take a single step beyond the boundaries thus specially drawn around the powers of Congress is to take possession of a boundless field of power, no longer susceptible of any definition."
- Thomas Jefferson to George Washington, 1791

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

This is actually a very simple issue. The show is canon. Only the show is canon. Writers of future shows are only obligated to be consistent with past shows. If a show conflicts with another show, or itself, then an entry gets added to SWDAO (if it has to do with ships, at least). There may be a very obvious explanation for such a conflict, but that doesn't mean the conflict still isn't there.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Montgomery
Reigning Supreme
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Montgomery     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I'm willing to overlook the odd visual cock-up and define canon as that wihich appears on screen and makes reasonable sense to me.

Why, if you don't you have to deal with all the reverse-angle shots where NCC-1701-D is written out backwards as the ship flies from right to left!

Some things you just chalk up to human error. Of course I expect to get sliced by Frank's pink cutting ray for this attempt to impose order on chaos...

------------------
"FOOLS! Will I have to kill them ALL?!?!"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Well, we really can't decide what's canon and what isn't. It has to be clearly defined. You can form your own opinions on a particular conflict, but that doesn't mean everyone will agree.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank: it seems nearly impossible to take out the intention of the producers/personal judgement from the analysis. I might just as well say (with reason) that the bridge walls are made of wood, and that there is nothing in those consoles other than wood, transparancies, and neon lights.

I'm thinking that if the footage were given to expert analysts, who have the adequate instrumentation to analyze the physical aspects of the interaction between the people and the set, they may notice a couple of aberrations.

Other than that, I'll add to the discussion Jake Sisko's spelling difficulties. The reason these errors (I think that we can agree that at least one of the spellings is in error) can crop up may be due to Starfleet's ignorance of proper spelling. Now, which one is correct is nearly obvious, unless the Federation has reverted back to Shakespearian times in which spelling was a matter of preference rather than a hard-and-fast rule.

Boris

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited October 17, 1999).]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps