Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Did Phoenix have a warp core? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Did Phoenix have a warp core?
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not sure I follow. We have plenty of atomic weapons that are powered by fusion now...

------------------
"Like I told you, you are concentric in your form. When it's cold you've got yourself to keep you warm."
--
John Linnell

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sol System: If you read up on the subject, you will find that, aside from some (huge) experimental reactors that have yet to reach the break-even point (generating more energy than it takes to power them), all fusion "devices" (Bombs, that is) are triggered by a fission device. Just as it takes a match to light the fuse that explodes the dynamite, fission bombs use conventional explosives to trigger a nuclear explosion that triggers the fusion reaction. Fusion power is still in its infancy.

Tahna Los raises a valid point. We currently have the technology to create very compact fission power generators. As a matter of fact, a few years ago, someone developed such a generator that was self-contained, about the size of a wastebasket or garbage can, and generated enough power to provide all the electricity required by five conventional homes.

The Russians, especially, used fission generators to power their spy satellites, and all of our probes that explore past Mars also have fission powerplants. The sunlight beyond Mars is so weak that solar arrays must be impractically large to be of any use beyond that point.

It is quite plausible that the Phoenix's "warp core" is a small fission powerplant. Such a powerplant could be used to heat hydrogen (or some other material) into the plasma required by the warp drives.

--Baloo

------------------
Carpe Canem (Translation: Damn! The dog pooped on the carpet! AGAIN!!!)
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited October 27, 1999).]

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a question about the Phoenix. Did it have a navigational deflector array?

------------------
"This is where the adventure is. This is where heroes are made." - Dr. Bashir
Federation Starship Datalink - Now with a pop-up on every page...damn you Tripod!

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I kept reading down the thread, thinking I was the only one who thought the thing was Nuclear. Till I got to the bottom.

It would have to have some kind of deflector.

------------------
"One Tequila, Two Tequila, Three Tequila, Floor". George Carlin

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Supporting the possibility of a fission reactor, remember that Lily collapsed in the missile silo near the beginning of the movie because of radiation leaking from (I think) a damaged throttle assembly of Phoenix. Any nuclear physicists out there who could clear this up?

------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, I know about fission powering fusion reactions in bombs...I was under the assumption that someone was implying that we didn't have any weapons that harnessed fusion at all.

As for the radiation, a fusion reaction is not totally radiation free, and while safer, I wouldn't want to stand next to one.

------------------
"Like I told you, you are concentric in your form. When it's cold you've got yourself to keep you warm."
--
John Linnell

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, since the Phoenix wasn't torn to shreds, and the crew didn't come back as pancakes, I'd say it not only had a nav deflector, but a SIF and IDF, too.

------------------
"I think you people have proven something to the world: that a half a million kids can get together and have three days of fun and music� and have nothing but fun and music."
-Max Yasgur; Woodstock, NY; August, 1969

KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Pheonix actually sped up slowyly. Someone in it said that they reached critical speed. They were slowly speeding up. The reason that it did the stretch effect is probably because that is how a ship would always look going from sub light to faster than light.

------------------
All hands, abandon ship! All hand, abandon...
BOOM!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er... At the speeds they were going just before they jumped to warp, the three guys in the cockpit would have been rather pressed to their seats w/o an IDF.

------------------
"I think you people have proven something to the world: that a half a million kids can get together and have three days of fun and music� and have nothing but fun and music."
-Max Yasgur; Woodstock, NY; August, 1969

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That depends on whether the acceleration was due to Newtonian action/reaction (rocket engines, in the case of the Phoenix) or the effects of the (primitive) warp drive.

From much of what I have read (and speculated) warp drive seems to sidestep action/reaction altogether. If there are any physics majors out there, go ahead and calculate the accelerative forces required to reach lightspeed in about a minute, in terms of the amount of matter you would have to anihilate to generate that much power. I imagine the amount exceeds the mass of the Phoenix and its occupants by many orders of magnitude. THAT is how much energy would be required to counter the accelerative forces unless the warp field accelerates everything within it at the same rate.

I always understoof the SIF was necessary for very large ships because the acceleration provided by the impulse engines is incredibly huge, not because they needed to counteract the effects of warp acceleration. Otherwise they would require more energy than exists in the entire universe just to reach warp one.

--Baloo

------------------
If you speak and no-one listens, it still counts as long as YOU have learned something.

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited October 29, 1999).]

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Navigational deflector, IDF: Both technologies must have existed at the time. A "forcefield" is anything but a simple electromagnetic field, it must have amazing properties.

This shows that apart from the warp drive itself, technology must have evolved from 2000 to 2063, despite WW III and the fact that the Titan missile is ancient. I would have preferred a less severe WW III and a warp ship being launched from a space station. I think the way Cochrane' breakthrough is shown in FC is rather incredible.

Baloo is probably right about the SIF. This is necessary mainly because of the scaling paradox (seems to be my favorite topic) because otherwise a Galaxy could not remain in one piece.

Baloo: Will your next Latin signature be "Cave diem" and how will you translate it?

------------------
Get your free signature at Ex Astris Scientia

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bernd, I agree with your suggestion that it's unlikely that Warp drive could have been developed in the environment shown in the movie. Before FC, in fact, before TNG, I envisioned the warp development project being something akin to the Manhattan project to develop the atomic bomb in world war II. I pictured scores of the world's best scientists working together at some enormous installation. Cochrane seems more like some guy tinkering in his garage. Also, the movie seems to show the development of warp drive as more of a mechanical problem than a theoretical problem. Cochrane as portrayed here doesn't seem like much of a thinker. I suppose that the filmmakers wanted to be iconoclastic, but I think they went too far in showing that Cochrane was just a "regular guy."

Regarding the structural integrity field, I believe Geordi does say sometime in the warp capsule "Structural integrity is holding."

------------------

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Hmm...I don't think you can assume that warp drive was concieved of and built during the war or its aftermath. Far more likely to assume that Cochrane was leading a project before the war to construct such a ship. Then the war came and destroyed said project. Cochrane, seeing his life's work shattered, becomes a broken man. But he decides that completing this ship might be worth something to him.

------------------
--
John Linnell

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

My comparison of a warp drive development project to the Manhattan Project was not to suggest that warp was a war-time project. I was just drawing attention to the investment of brainpower and resources that I think would be necessary for such a breakthrough. I agree that the war and its aftermath should have prevented work on big research projects. A nuclear World War III probably didn't last very long (hours? days?) and postwar reconstruction would have been considered more important. However, your suggestion that Cochrane was continuing a pre-war project is interesting.

------------------

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Masao: "Structural integrity holding." could just have been Geordi's way of saying "We don't seem to be falling apart."

I think Bernd, as an engineer, can probably confirm this definition. For example, despite the fact that several screws have fallen out of my desk chair (and subsequently been lost), it's structural integrity is only marginally compromised. Translation: My chair is missing a few screws but it doesn't seem to be noticably weaker because of this. My chair has no structural integrity field, but has structural integrity despite this lack (though if I lose any more screws, I'd better get some more or start looking for a new chair).

--Baloo

------------------
If you speak and no-one listens, it still counts as long as YOU have learned something.

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited October 30, 1999).]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps