Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Did Phoenix have a warp core? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Did Phoenix have a warp core?
Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo: If you lost any more screws, we'd be really worried. Sorry - I couldn't resist.

Anyway, I think have that calculation you posed

Acceleration from zero velocity to just under lightspeed, c, in one minute = (roughly)

a = [3* 10^8 m/s] / [60s] = 5 * 10^6 m/s^2.

Assuming a mass of say 3000kg for the missile and it's illustrious occupants, and it travelled about 200,000km,
then F = ma
=> F = 3000kg * 5*10^6m/s^2
= 1.5 * 10^10 N.

Therefore, energy required to move it x = 200,000km, at constant speed, is
E = F*x
= 1.5*10^10N * 2*10^8m
= 3 * 10^18 joules.

From E = mc^2,
=> m = E / c^2
= 3*10^18J * (3*10^8m/s^2)^2
m = 2.7 * 10^35J !!!

You were right, Baloo: even if my assumptions are off by a few orders of magnitude, there sure as hell isn't 0.27 bilion billion billion kilograms of matter aboard the Phoenix, science fiction or not.

But what does this imply?
The existence of a SIF field and it's generators?
I have to think so - otherwise we'd have seen Riker-pizza. Now wouldn't that be a shame.

------------------
"Fire, Fire!" said Mrs O'Dwyer.
"Where, where?" said Mrs O'Hare.
"Down in the town." said Mrs Brown.
"Lord bless us and save us"
said old Mrs Davis.
"I never knew a herring was a fish."

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's how much energy a SIF would have to counter. It takes energy to counter energy.

The SIF doesn't protect the people but the structure of the vessel. If the ship is accelerating at maximum impulse (about 200 gees for the Ent-D) the SIF keeps bits from fracturing and breaking off. The inertial dampers are what keeps people from becoming chunky salsa.

I still think that the "acceleration" due to the warp field affects the ship (and it's contents) as a whole, and is therefore not felt. Impulse engines, however, work on Newtonian action/reaction. Kick out the jams without the inertial dampers going and everyone will become so much loose protoplasm. Since the Phoenix doesn't have a 200-gee thruster, it would be quite simple to avoid the requirement for an SIF or inertial dampers by simply keeping the throttle below the "Strawberry Jam" setting.

--Baloo

------------------
If this is the future, then where are all the flying cars?
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds right. I'm not used to all this orange. Does everyone else see it? It is making me a little light headed.

------------------
All hands, abandon ship! All hand, abandon...
BOOM!

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes Commander Paris. I'm assuming (and hoping) it's just a Halloween thing.

------------------
"This is where the adventure is. This is where heroes are made." - Dr. Bashir
Federation Starship Datalink - Now with a pop-up on every page...damn you Tripod!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, it's just a holiday gimmick. Don't worry... :-)

------------------
"I think you people have proven something to the world: that a half a million kids can get together and have three days of fun and music� and have nothing but fun and music."
-Max Yasgur; Woodstock, NY; August, 1969

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps