Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » So called Kitbashes (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: So called Kitbashes
Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...exactly what I think too. Careful ship design (and even kitbashing can be done carefully) is much like real engineering. The design has to be functional in the real world and has to look functional as a model.
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the Yeager, I think it was a rather clumsy patch too. However, I suppose it's possible that the saucer was scaled down to the Raider size, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Of course, the real explanation for the creation of these ships is that the SFX crew needed some new ships so they canabalized some AMT models and put these new ships together. In the Trek world, the various parts aren't scaled correctly, but (low and behold) the AMT fit together just like they do for the Shelley Class, the Centaur type and the Yeager Class.

------------------
"Resolve and thou art free."

Socko
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since somebody mentioned the Yeager, here's something I noticed: Take a look at the aft section of the Yeager diagram in the DS9TM. Now take a look a diagram of the Maquis Raider. You may notice that the DS9TM diagram is missing the small engines.

------------------
Eat your roll and shut your mouth!

IP: Logged
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't include the Centaur among a list of bad kitbashes, personally.

------------------
"If you are going to be my girlfriend please don't dump me after I like you."
--
Michael

Sir Camelot
Ex-Member

If we are talking about kitbashed ship how about the different styles of starbase we have seen, ie ST I, to ST II, and then to the DS9 style of Fed starbase that is based all on ST I base.
TerraZ
Ex-Member

I consider the starbase kitbashes to be pretty good, much like the countless Miranda modification. They only add or remove a few parts and it would be consistant with Starfleet's use of the same hull type. However, if they suddenly decided to take the Spacedock's upper saucer and patched it up with the Regula's lower cylinders, it would really be dreadful. As long as they reuse parts from the same class or add completely new ones, it almost always makes god kitbashes (Nebula, Miranda, New Orleans, Cheyenne). When they mix disparate pieces, we get monsters (Centaur, which is the best "bad" kitbash, Shelley, Yeager and the thankfully unseen Medusa and the 2 others from the DS9TM.

------------------
-If you ask me, I think continuity is highly overrated...
*Brannon Braga*

-Give me Good Trek or give me Death!
*Me*

-Where were you when the brains were handed out?
*Sonic the Hedgehog*

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with Sol System that the Centaur was a good kitbash by the creators. Like the non-canon Akyazi Class, it is similar to the styles of the time it was created, but is different enough to be it's own unique design.

The Shelley would be my second fav of these new ships since I think the changes to the Excelsior Class can be explained. The Yeager was just sort of a bad idea.

And Socko, don't believe anything you see in the DS9TM. You'll only hurt yourself. I think it's been kind of decided by alot of people that that ships section was a mistake :-(

------------------

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

By the way TerraZ, what is the Medusa Class and where was this seen/ mentioned? I've never heard of it before. I do love finding out about new ships though.

------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, I'm from Iowa, I only work in outer space...

oops sorry major Star Trek: IV flashback.

The Medusa I think is a nickname for that crazy kitbash from the DS9 Tech Manual that has two excelsior saucer halfs joined together and three nacelles.

------------------
Ralph: Um, Miss Hoover? There's a dog in the vent.
Hoover: Ralph, remember the time you said Snagglepuss was outside?
Ralph: He was going to the bathroom.

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

Oooooh, eeeeck. blaaaggg!!!!

*gurgles*

*turns to stone*

*plots to go home and destroy the ships section of his DS9TM*

------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps