Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Steamrunner questions (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Steamrunner questions
Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know, I reckon the shape of Jaeger's ships is to conform to the Defiant - ships with lower "target areas". After all, if it's possible to pull the nacelles so close in to the body, it makes ship harder to hit in combat.
So maybe these designs are variants on the basic morphology of the Defiant?

------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the back half of the Steamrunner saucer section has a back half sorta like the back half like the defiants...

Plus the Sabre isn't much bigger than the Defiant - maybe these were some other post Q Who? Designs that Shelby was helping design... and since the success of the Defiant - they brought them out of mothballs too!?!

Maybe thats why we haven't seen much of the Norway - it wasn't as a successful design as the Defiant - or they just pulled the two or three or what ever number that were at the Borg Battle in FC - out of storage... and maybe they hadn't been tested further than the original test period!?!

I can just see those ships in a Dusty corner of Utopia Planitia - with a skeleton crew - faithfully keeping her in working condition... The weren't assigned to her for the Borg incursion - but they went anyway... since no one else knew the two Norway's like they did - they were their babies.

Andrew

------------------
Ralph: Um, Miss Hoover? There's a dog in the vent.
Hoover: Ralph, remember the time you said Snagglepuss was outside?
Ralph: He was going to the bathroom.

Obi Juan
Who's your master?
Member # 90

- posted      Profile for Obi Juan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You really cannot judge the quantities of particular classes in service just by what is seen on screen (except for the fact that there are a s***load of Excelsiors). Sure the Dominion war gave us the closest thing we have seen to a cross section of starfleet. But even then we were only seeing a small fraction of one fleet most of the time (it was usually the Ninth wasn't it?). The First Fleet may consist alomost entirely of Ambassadors and Steamrunners with a few wings of Olympics to take care of casualties.

Speaking of Olympics, since this class does currently exist (according to Okuda anyway) why didn't they ever show one during the Dom war? I mean they were making hideous kitbashes to make the fleet look bigger, why not cameo a nice aesthetically pleasing Olympic instead of letting the model gather dust in some wherehouse. Hell war is a great excuse to bring in the hospital ships and at the very least they could have shown one orbiting in the background of DS9. Did they drop the model? Maybe they let the same guy who was in charge of transporting the Ambassador model handle it (after he'd had a couple of drinks).

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah, for all the good it did me, take it... [email protected] I sent him another email, about 2 months ago, just asking if he'd still be interested in talking about them, an I've yet to recieve a response... I think his address may have changed.

The original list of questions:
------------------------------------------------------
1. - Did you design the Akira, Steamrunner, Saber and Norway classes with any general or specific dimensions in mind? If so, what were they?

2. - Where did you get the names of these classes from?

3. - Did you design these ships with the intention that they be newer or older ships?

4. - Do you have a favorite of the 4?

5. - What exactly was the problem with the Norway and do you know why it has not been seen outside of FC, while the other ships have been seen on DS9? The most popular rumour is that there was some sort of problem
rendering the mesh (textures?)

6. - Did you have any stats for the ships in mind when you designed them? (ex: # of decks, kinds of weapons, engines, shuttlebays, any other special characteristics)

7. - What served as your inspiration for the ships? Ex: Drawing from existing ST designs, previous work you had done, etc...

8. - Did you come up with any ideas for more new ships that were shelved early on?

9. - Did any/all of the ships in the Borg Battle have names, or were they nameless?

10. - What program were the ships built in? Also, just out of curiousity, how large are the meshes/textures in terms of memory, # of faces, resolution, etc?

------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."

SapphireEclipse Productions
http://sapphireeclipse.virtualave.net/

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. I remember them well. Maybe we asked too many questions and scared him off. But he could have come up with short snappy answers to each that wouldn't have taken more than 5 minutes all told, rather than just completely vanishing. . .
Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One thing unique about the Norway-class is that it's the only FC CGI that has Defiant parts. The Norway nacelles have the Defiant plasma vents. The Norway also has that Defiant engineering four injector thing (or whatever it is ).

Anyway, I dare say that the Norway's the ugliest out of the 4 ships.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$%@&!#

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Anarchias de meizon ouk estin kakon." - Creon

The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Jaeger said that he'd be happy to answer them, that he'd already rounded up some of the answers we wanted, but that he'd have to get permission from TPTB (Paramount, ILM, I don't know...). He said to give him time, I did, he likely forgot about it. =<

------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."

SapphireEclipse Productions
http://sapphireeclipse.virtualave.net/

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually the specs about the Steamrunner in the DS9TM are so crap that they are entirely missing and a ship that was never seen on DS9, namely Norway, is depicted instead . I wonder if the specs could in fact be supposed to belong to the Steamrunner, and they messed it up in the same way as they have given the Norway and the Sabre the same specs.

Anyway, it will be a great day of glory when Jaeger finally reveals the secrets of the Steamrunner. Is it possible he omitted all the windows for simplicity or because there was no time? The convenient canon excuse, of course, is that suddenly there are several types of warships in Starfleet and have always been.

------------------
"When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way."
A somewhat different Janeway in VOY: "Living Witness"
Ex Astris Scientia

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We did see the Norway ONE other place outside of FC...

On that plaque in that bar in "In the Flesh"

------------------
Ralph: Um, Miss Hoover? There's a dog in the vent.
Hoover: Ralph, remember the time you said Snagglepuss was outside?
Ralph: He was going to the bathroom.

Starbuck
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For more info on the Akira class, I believe Jaeger wrote an article for Star Trek: The Magazine.
Unfortunately I can't get it here in the UK - so would any of you Stateside types be kind enough to scan it and mail me a copy??

------------------

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Its a random ship designed to fill the backround of the Borg Battle of 001 from first contact. It's cg model wasnt as detailed as the holly Akira-Class, although a great design, i wish they would put more time into it, and gave it a good shot in FC.

------------------
Wes Button[email protected]
TechFX GraphicsThe United Federation UplinkAxisIRC
------------------
Janeway: "Dimissed"
Neelix: [stands there dumbfounded] "b..but.."
Janeway: "That's Starfleet for get out"

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just what are you having a sad about, Frank?

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, a long time ago, Adam was slightly less willing to supply Jaegar's address.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Anarchias de meizon ouk estin kakon." - Creon

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited November 24, 1999).]

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Frank, imagine what would happen if twenty people were to read it on the forums, and then all decide that they want to send an e-mail to him. Might be a little too much. I think I'll try right now, though....

"hello coud you pls tell me how long the ships in first contact are i am making a model and need some numbers boris..."

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited November 24, 1999).]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps