Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Steamrunner questions (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Steamrunner questions
The Vorlon
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for The Vorlon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Frank: I think you mean MORE reluctant...

------------------
Sheridan: "Well, as answers go, short, to the point, utterly useless and totally consistant with what I've come to expect from a Vorlon..."
Kosh: "Good."
Sheridan: "I REALLY hate it when you do that..."
Kosh: "Good."

SapphireEclipse Productions
http://sapphireeclipse.virtualave.net/

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Boris: Well, long story, but basically, he agreed to give me the address, but then decided he was Jaegar's close personal friend, and thus didn't.

Adam: Er...right. I'll fix that.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Anarchias de meizon ouk estin kakon." - Creon

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited November 24, 1999).]

Jim Phelps
watches Voyager AFTER 51030
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here goes. Note the Steamrunner spelling (although I may have influenced him by spelling the ship that way in my question). As for the Defiant, he probably means that (at least in FC) the ship is supposed to be much smaller than the 170m Sabre, and not the same size or larger.

No idea what he means by existing saucers, perhaps trying to match saucer sizes with those of existing Starfleet designs? Jaeger did say in the Magazine that the Akira saucer was the same size as the Sovereign saucer, and taking a brief look at Vorlon's top view charts, the Steamrunnner, Norway, and Akira saucers do seem to be about the same length. Jaeger probably drew up -some- kind of a comparison chart without adding specific numbers, and thus he knows that the Saber is bigger than the Defiant, but not the actual sizes.

Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 15:47:54 -0800
To: Boris Skrbic
Subject: Re: FC ship sizes

Greetings:
Thank you for comments about the FC ships. In regards to your query about the sizes of them please refer to the size chart from the Star Trek Encyclopedia "A Reference Guide to the Future" updated and expanded
edition, ISBN: 0-671-53607-9 pages 578 and 579. You'll see that the Akira, Norway, Steamrunner and Saber-class sizes in comparison to ships of known size. Although personally my intentions were that the Saber would be larger than the Defiant-class. These charts are accurate for the most part visually, but I never really had hard numbers for the sizes while designing
them due to time constraints. I mainly based the sizes on existing ships by the size of the "saucer" sections. Me hope and intentions are that Paramount will be contacting me soon to publish more information on these ships in the "Star Trek Magazine". So for the time being I'm unfortunately bond by confidentiality contracts not to reveal any further information about the actual workings, structure and or details of their specific operations (STFSC: 004-331 sec:002).
I hope this little tidbit of info helps you, sorry I can't reveal more at this time, but in the mean time check out Galaxy Quest this Christmas! See some more of my handy work as the N.S.E.A. Protector NTE-3120 battles across the universe with the help of it's fans!!!! And Happy Thanksgiving!

Never Give up, Never Surrender!
Alex Jaeger

[This message has been edited by Boris (edited November 24, 1999).]

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa, cool. He, like, wrote back. ehyeah.

------------------
"I've never seen anything this beautiful in the entire galaxy. Alright, give me the bomb" -Ultra Magnus, Fight or Flee

Jim Phelps
Member # 102

- posted      Profile for Jim Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, sometimes you're just lucky. I tried visually matching the saucer areas (roughly), and the Steamrunner comes out as slightly shorter than the Akira, while the Norway is slightly longer than the Steamrunner, as expected. Of course, these results may vary.

I'm only not sure whether the Saber is supposed to be bigger than we all thought, because it's the only ship that doesn't look right after saucer matching. Remember, Stipes had it at 190 meters, which seemed right to us, but the Akira and Steamrunner were both downscaled (262 and 243 meters). What if the Saber is supposed to be bigger?

Boris

The First One
A lovely little thinker, but a bugger when he's pissed
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for The First One         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No doubt he'll be inundated with questions now, so I won't bother him. But I REALLY want to know where the name Steamrunner comes from. . .
Jim Phelps
Member # 102

Don't worry, Boris thinks of a question before you know you are going to ask it I didn't want to let go of the lucky strain, so I questioned him about the Steam/Streamrunner issue before I left to watch that awful Voyager episode. But I suppose he's out for Thanksgiving by now.

Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 18:33:50 -0800
To: Boris Skrbic
Subject: Re: FC ship sizes

Originally it WAS STReamrunner, named after a song on a CD of my favorite band, Fold Zandura, they are a little known but excelent alternative Christian band and good Star Trek fans as well. I also named another ship that did not appear in the film the Zandura-class, a protype science ship (like the Grissom) with separation capabilities for atmospheric flight
conditions.

Anyway the "r" in the name"STReamrunner" got lost in the muddled communication to paramount and it ended up getting approved as "Steamrunner" which has it's own sort'of coolness in a Hightech named low tech kind'a way. Anyway I'm out'a here,

Later
Alex

------------------
"Wrong again. Although we want to be scientifically accurate, we've found that selection of [Photon Energy Plasma Scientifically Inaccurate as a major Star Trek format error] usually indicates a preoccupation with science and gadgetry over people and story."

---a Writers' Test from the Original Series Writer's Guide

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that is very very interesting. The mystery solved.

------------------
"It's just like the story of the grasshopper and the octopus. All year long, the grasshopper kept burying acorns for winter while the octopus mooched off his girlfriend and watched TV. But then the winter came and the grasshopper died and the octopus ate all his acorns, and then he got a racecar. Is any of this getting through to you?."
--
Futurama

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I was hoping that he favored the spelling "Sabre" over "Saber", but apparently not...

------------------
"General Hammond: Request permission to beat the crap out of this man."
-Colonel O'Neill, Stargate: SG-1: "Bane"

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is "saber" the US spelling of "sabre"? That's what I've always assumed.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think it is the US version of spelling it - hope they don't call a ship the color/colour or harbor/harbour...

Steamrunner is better than Streamrunner - as Bart Simpson says all the best bands are affiliated with Satan

so I guess were going to wait in anticipation for those Star Trek magazines eh?

is the new one out yet - someone said that there were some great scans of Starbases... anyone care to scan some of the piccies?

------------------
Ralph: Um, Miss Hoover? There's a dog in the vent.
Hoover: Ralph, remember the time you said Snagglepuss was outside?
Ralph: He was going to the bathroom.

Starbuck
"Replicate some marmalade, Commander - helm control is toast!"
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm...
Steamrunner sounds kinda low-tech/hi-tech at the same time... like something out of Bruce Sterling and William Gibson's "The Difference Engine":

Captain: "Engineering, we need more processing power. All hands to the Babbage Engines!"

Engineer: "I'm givin' her all we've got, Sir! If I push any harder, the whole thing'll blow!"

First Officer: "Damn it, Captain - I told you we needed more men to stoke the boilers!"

------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just another wee question - which I'm sure wouldn't interfere with his contract - did anyone bother to invite him here to lurk... at least. Anyone give him the URL?

------------------

Starbuck
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Starbuck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I for one would love to see people who worked on Trek invited to the forums... that way they can share ideas with us, sort out SWDAOs...
I wonder - can anyone set up a chat site?

------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Well they probably wouldn't want to participate - probably against their contracts - although Mike O and Rick S do potter around the net...

I wouldn't mind some lurking by them, like Jaeger for instance - then he might get some ideas or he might see some stumbling block and might realise its not in his contract not to talk about some particular point - and share it with us

------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps