Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Galaxy-class Deck 2 (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Galaxy-class Deck 2
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I heard somewhere before that it is actually a mistake and 10 Forward should be 11 Forward (like on the E). To finish up your original questions, Hobbes, the area directly in front of the OL holds the computers used by the aft stations on the bridge. There is little detail, but I don't think it's actually a room. There may be a couple of small access areas.

Also of note, the starboard side of the OL has a ramp that leads directly to the bridge, the Port side does not. Both sides also have curving ramps that apparently lead down to the lower part of deck one (your head would be about level with Data's ankles and you would be walking along side the bridge I think) where you can grab a turbo lift. There is also something noted that could either be stairs to deck two or part of the latching mechanism, I can't tell.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

TerraZ
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aside frm the Arboritum, the ship was apparently downgraded since there's no Brig either...

------------------
-If you ask me, I think continuity is highly overrated...
*Brannon Braga*

-Where were you when the brains were handed out?
*Sonic the Hedgehog*

IP: Logged
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the E-D has an extra deck between deck 6 and deck 7.

Whence do I derive such an outlandish theory, you ask? Well, I'll tell you. Observe this graphic:

Now, we know the main shuttlebay is on deck 4 (the purple line in the picture). Counting up from here, the bridge is deck 1, which is good. We also know the battle bridge to be located on deck 8 (green line). Counting down from here, Ten Forward (deck ten, blue line) is on the lower rim of the saucer. This is also good. However, if we count the decks between 4 and 8, we find four. These would be deck 5, deck 6, deck 7, and... what? Obviously, the extra deck is one of these four between 4 and 8.

Now, to see why I've placed it between 6 and 7, feast your eyes upon this:

Now, for those of you who have the E-D blueprints, you can also refer to them for this part. If you haven't got them, I'm afraid you'll have to take my word for some of this.

The escape pods that I've colored green (a selection as an example; this also applies to the others on that deck) are on deck 6. This is verified by the blueprints. The curved green line represents the outer edge of deck 6. Now, normally, one would expect the next deck down to be deck 7. However, the escape pods which I have colored red, according to the blueprints, are not on deck 7. In fact, they do not show up at all on any deck. One might attribute this to another blueprints error. However, there is more. If we assume that the blueprints are correct and deck 7 is not immeditely below deck 6, we can guess that it is, in fact, two decks below deck 6. This is where it would be placed if we counted up from deck 8 (see the first picture). In the top half of the saucer, the decks get progressively larger as one descends, yes? Therefore, deck 6 is one size, the deck below it is larger, and the next deck down is even larger than that. Now, if we go back to the blueprints and measure decks 6 and 7 (making sure they're in scale by measuring the computer cores and such), we find that deck 7 is not a bit larger than deck 6: it's much larger. Larger enough, in fact, that it corresponds to the blue curve I've drawn in the second picture.

Therefore, by locating the shutttlebay and battle bridge, we have evidence that the extra deck is between 4 and 8. Further, through the escape pods and the deck sizes, we have two pieces of evidence which suggest that the missing deck is between 6 and 7. While they may not have intended an extra deck there, there is plenty of evidence which all agrees that it is there, and apparently nothing to refute it. Quod erat demonstrandum.

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay so you think that those rooms on Deck 2 infront of the OL are all computer rooms?? That doesn't make much sense. I'll scan the pic later.

------------------
"...and if frogs could fly; well we'd still have this problem, but wouldn't it be cool?" - Drew Carey
Federation Starship Datalink - Starship site of the new millennium.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps I missed something, but the OL isn't on deck 2. It's on deck 1.

------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think Hobbes is counting the back of deck 1 as deck 2, and deck 2 as 3. Anyway, those rooms adjacent to the conference lounge (upper deck 1) aren't labeled at all in the Blueprints and they don't seem to have much in them. The room fore of the CL is labeled "computer interface" but I don't see any obvious way to get in.

TSN: I noticed a couple of problems with your commentary-

1)You say that ten forward is in the right place when counting down from the battle bridge, but it's not. The cutaway you used is the same as the one from the TNGTM p.11 and that shows that 10 forward would actually be on deck 11 if it's the bottom half of the rim.

2)The "lifeboats" that you marked in red, and can't find, aren't and never were lifeboats in the first place. Refer to Screen 1 of the Blueprints and you'll see my point.

It seems to me that either deck 8 or 9 has the two rows of windows. If I had to call it, I would say deck 8 is the culprit. I've mentioned this problem to Rick Sternbach (at his newsgroup forum) but he pretended that everything was as it should ie. he was completely unhelpful .

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I counted it as Deck 2 because it is below the bridge.

------------------
"...and if frogs could fly; well we'd still have this problem, but wouldn't it be cool?" - Drew Carey
Federation Starship Datalink - Starship site of the new millennium.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
More people have to go an prod him then... with Klingon pain sticks!?! Timo - I'm sure would be an influencing poster...

------------------
"...it might be easier to study
ancient societies from distant orbit than it might be to sit next to the
Guardian of Forever with a tricorder." - Baloo, January 2000

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went and counted the decks up from the deck 25 torp laucher (on both the exterior and TNGTM cutaway) and that too places the bottom of the saucer rim as deck 11. It looks like Aban is right and someone erred in placing ten-forward where it is.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Dax: Actually, I don't have the blueprints themselves. I have some scans that I found on the 'net. Unfortunately, though, only the decks themselves are in the images. Everything around them (labelling and such) is removed. So, if you could be a bit more specific...

Also, I'm not sure what you're saying about the cutaway. I scanned that from the MSD in the encyclopedia. The battle bridge is on the deck that I drew the blue line on. Therefore, that is deck 8. The bottom rim of the saucer is two decks below that, hence, deck 10. This, of course, agrees w/ the blueprints (look at the escape pods on deck 10, and look at the underside of the saucer rim).

As for counting upward from deck 25... I don't remember whether I did that or not. I originally came up w/ this a while ago. I'll try it when I get a chance and see what happens...

------------------

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmmm....?

Perhaps one of the designers liked deck 9 so much he included an extra one?

------------------
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."
--Bertrand Russell (1872-1970)
Come Hither and Yawn...

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

TSN: Those blocks which you've marked in red (on the hull of deck 7) simply aren't lifeboat hatches. Here's that bit of the Blueprints I was on about:
Surface Plan Close-Up
They appear to be just pointless plating on the hull. The AMT model also supports this.

I was wrong what I said about the MSD. I assumed it was the same as the TNGTM cutaway. I now realise that there's three differing cutaways that disagree with eachother-

1)MSD - This shows the battle bridge to be on deck 9 and the lower rim to be deck 11.

2)TNGTM p.11 "Section at Centreline" - This shows the battle bridge to be on deck 8 and the lower rim to be deck 11.

3)Blueprints screen 4 "Starboard Cutaway View" - This shows the battle bridge to be on deck 8 and the lower rim to be deck 10.

Out of these only the MSD could be considered canon since it's been seen on the show.

Unfortunately we have a paradox on our hands.

------------------
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, even if those aren't escape pods, there's still the matter of the actual sizes of the decks. So, either there is an extra deck between 6 and 7, or deck 7 is actually twice as high as it would normally be (w/ ceiling windows).

------------------

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A fourth season episode, with Data, Lore, and their creator, shows the area behind the aft stations on the bridge.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

That would have to be "Brothers". Is it when Data seals off the bridge, and the others are trying to get back in? I thought they were just in a J-tube outside/under the bridge, but I haven't seen the ep in a while.

------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps