Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Galaxy-class Deck 2 (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Galaxy-class Deck 2
colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yes. however, the area may not have been a jeffries tube.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I remember them saying something about a conduit that ran into one of the science stations, but I don't remember if they ever made it there or not. All right, now I'm going to have to go and watch the whole episode again... : )

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been going through the TNG Blueprints trying to make sense of this spare deck business. On this journey I came to realise that Justin was right about the shuttles on screen 4 being type-8. Take a close look - you can see how the top of the cabin protrudes out. There's also the engine pylons. These gotta be those VOY shuttles.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my... Justing is right. Now why would one place Type-8 shuttles on the Enterprise-D unless to suggest that the ship got new shuttles before she went KA-BOOM at Veridian? That or it's another blunder.

About the spare deck, I thought about the horizontal Jeffries tubes, but then again, there is that sub-level Deck 1 that is present in the TNG Blueprints. Now I'm confused...

------------------
Show me the meaning of being lonely
Is this the feeling, I need to walk in
Tell me why I can't be there where you are
There's something missing in my heart

-Backstreet Boys

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Say, what about those eight-foot-tall Jeffries tubes seen in "The Hunted"? Maybe those are the missing deck?

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the issue is that there's an extra row of windows for no apparent reason. Jefferies tubes don't have/need windows.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't this whole problem stem from the fact that the hull isn't a sphere - where the hull becomes horizontal - you may get two rows of windows or lifepods - but just the one deck... the windows are probably in the ceiling...

I think I counted them a long time ago - and if you work out the part where the hull becomes flat - not rounded - you end up with two sets of windows on the one deck - or is it one set of windows and one set of lifepods - anyway - thats the theory.

Andrew

------------------
"...it might be easier to study
ancient societies from distant orbit than it might be to sit next to the
Guardian of Forever with a tricorder." - Baloo, January 2000

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, scrub my above comments - I've solved the mystery... OK

Bridge - Deck 1 everyone agreed
those windows in the ceiling/datas quarters - deck 2 again everyone agrees
deck 3 - next ring of windows
deck 4 - next ring of windows + main shuttle bay + phaser strip
deck 5 - next ring of windows
deck 6 - next ring of windows and escape pods + aboretum
deck 7 - next ring of windows... + those false escape pods below the arboretum
deck 8 - next ring of windows - + larger windows forward side - those are supposed to be Picard's quarters... + Riker and Deanna's quarters are on this deck... and the battle bridge.
deck 9 - last ring of windows visible from above
deck 9 is ALSO the ring of windows on the 'lip' of the saucer above 10 forward... the deck 9 windows seen from above - don't go all the way to the edge - they are back from the edge - so at least two rooms 'in' from the edge - get windows
deck 10 - bottom row of windows on the saucer lip + 10 forward...

DONE! the deck 9 windows are what is confusing everyone - you don't count deck 9 as just the last ring of windows seen from above - but those + the windows on the lip of the saucer section - aboe 10 forward.

Andrew

------------------
"...it might be easier to study
ancient societies from distant orbit than it might be to sit next to the
Guardian of Forever with a tricorder." - Baloo, January 2000

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

Andrew: Your theory is the most logical I've heard. It seems to conform with the deck 8 and 9 plans in the Blueprints too. I like it!

------------------
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, finally. Someone has made sense of the Galaxy class saucer deck plan problem. I like the idea of Deck 9 being designed that way, it makes the Galaxy class starships seem even more of a luxury.

------------------
"You're right. They wouldn't be able to see anything but the top of your head. The glare could blind them."
-B'Ellana Torres, Virtuoso

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, it doesn't explain why, in the blueprints, deck seven is so much larger than deck six, when it should only be somewhat larger. Unless we chalk this up to another blueprints flaw...

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

But I honestly don't see any problem with deck 7 in the Blueprints, TSN. It seems fine to me.

------------------
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps