Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Constellation - Wolf in sheep's-clothing? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Constellation - Wolf in sheep's-clothing?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A couple of days ago I downloaded a 3d-viewer, capable of viewing almost any file-format used in 3d-rendering and design.
I (of course) started seeking out ships and renderings, and after a while I stumbled upon the Constellation-class and decided to give it a shot despite my opinion of it, and really re-woke my feelings about it.

One thing that really took me by surprise was the armament. I don't know the exact specifications on the constellation's weapons-grid (so much non-canon garbage floating around), but on this particular 3d-model I found TWO separate torpedo-launcher's, placed in the "joints" of the nacelle-pairs.

Now, I know Picard didn't speek highly of said class in his ship-discussion with Capt. Montgomery Scott (he just missed it), and the general specification of it seems to be "crappy scout/science-ship".
I still feel though, that if one of it's kind could have survived to 2375 and be refitted with newer engines, shields, software, weapons-upgrades etc. etc. it could still be one hell of a ship!

Thoughts??? (Both personal and professional)

------------------
An arboretum? On the Defiant?
If you were any other man I would kill you where you stand!

(Worf "The Last Straw")

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wouldn't be surprised if Starfleet recommissioned the remaining Constellation Classes during the Dominion War. If the Miranda Classes could survive over 100 years, the Constellation Classes could be returned to service. But it sounds like the ship you downloaded had a few unauthourized upgrades...

------------------
Show me the meaning of being lonely
Is this the feeling, I need to walk in
Tell me why I can't be there where you are
There's something missing in my heart

-Backstreet Boys

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the mesh from Sci-Fi Art. In the discovery zone, under the Akira-mesh, is a lightwave version of the constellation.
I also have a picture from old Wolfpak-359 where you can see a launcher between the lower nacelle-pair.

------------------
-Have some coffee, it's good!
-I don't want none o'your god-damn coffee!!

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree the Constellation does look very good , i have the Wolfpak pic and those torpedo Tubes are in a nice position , if those are also copied on top naccle pylon this thing can be a real strong puppy . I found another pic of the Constellation by Glenn Crouch i havent seen it around the net so i thought you guys might enjoy it .

If you look closely the Torpedo Tubes are also there , I'm gona look much deeper at the screen caps and see if i can make it out on the model.

Oh hey Nimrod whats the name of that Viewer Program ?, i've been looking for somthing like that for a while.

------------------
"Marge .. Do you have other men in this House ? .. Radioactive men?"
~Homer "The Simpsons"

Jupiter Station , Starfleet Research & Development

[This message has been edited by Dhunter (edited February 04, 2000).]

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always thought the two launchers were on the bottom joints of the lower nacelle pair and not the top joints.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*wonders why a ship should have to be armed to the teeth before it's even worth considering as a good ship* Personally, I think the Constellation is one of the better designs, whether it has torpedo launchers at every junction or not.

------------------
Col. Maybourne: "Teal'c... It's good to see you well."
Teal'c: "In my culture, I would be well within my rights to dismember you."
-Stargate SG-1: "Touchstone"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmmm thats a nice CGI image - so many so called 'good 3d artists' out there always make their ships look fake by having it really bright - since that is the difference I feel between the models and the CGI - cgi can't do the 'light' thing very well - it looks too fake...

especially in the windows and the nacelles - just somethings I wish CGI artists would address... anyway - nice pic.

------------------
"...it might be easier to study
ancient societies from distant orbit than it might be to sit next to the
Guardian of Forever with a tricorder." - Baloo, January 2000

Nim
Member # 205

The program is called 3D-Exploration and it can be found at http://www.xdsoft.com/explorer/

It's a really great browser that can show any file format, even Quake3-models!

My advice is, go to www.swma.net (Star Wars Modelling Alliance) they have some good sh*t there, man, they could fix you up, man...
And for Star Trek: http://trekmeshes.starfleet.ch/

Does anyone have any other links that are good??

Maybe now this thread belongs in "Design, Artwork and Creativity"???

------------------

Justin_Timberland
Member # 236

- posted      Profile for Justin_Timberland     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The ship does look damn good!! I do agree with Michael that the Constellation Classes could have been brought back into service, the ones that are still in one piece.

Imagine the USS Constellation with photon/quantum torpedoes, Type-9 phasers, some abblative armor, upgraded computer and power systems!

------------------
Sometimes I run
Sometimes I hide
Sometimes I'm scared of you
But all I really want is to hold you tight
Treat you right, be with you day and night
Baby all I need is time

-Britney Spears

Nim
Member # 205

Ec, ec, exactly!!! Don't forget a new warp-core too! It would've been nice to see it fly abreast with the Defiant in SoA, firing torpedo-pair's from both launchers and swaying from side-to-side to evade flak!
Even if the script demanded Defiant getting through alone, it would've gone out in a blaze of glory!!! Plus, there's more parts in a Constellation, making for a very detailed death-scene. (What am I saying?)

About the torp-launchers, I found the pictures of the studio-model, with favourable angles of it! I have the pics here, can some samaritan soul spare 128 Kb of diskspace?

------------------

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure.

------------------
Ross: "Inter arma, enim silent leges."
Bashir: "'In the time of war the law falls silent.' Cicero. Have we become a 24th-century Rome, driven by the fact that Caesar can do no wrong?!"
-Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I can confirm that there are four torp launchers , and i think i see a phaser strip on the top side of the Saucer , this could indicate that this class might have been upgraded before seeing as phaser strips were intoduced around the time of the Ambassador.

I agree this class could have kicked some dommie booty , those four torp launchers would have been a sight to behold.

Sure ,Send them over Nimrod , Im doing a write up on the class for my website anyway , may i use them ?

------------------
"Marge .. Do you have other men in this House ? .. Radioactive men?"
~Homer "The Simpsons"

Jupiter Station , Starfleet Research & Development

[This message has been edited by Dhunter (edited February 06, 2000).]

Nim
Member # 205

Absolutely, just happy to be of service. I'll include the four studio-pics and a nice big side-view.

I was thinking of also sending some images of the 3d-model I found on Sci-Fi Art, but seeing as I don't have the complete list of copyright-references to go I think it's best if you go there and get the model yourself! Isn't that the order of things, Fabrux? Or does it suffice with just saying "from sci-fi art"?

------------------
-Ah don't want none o'your god-damn coffee!!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I think "From Scifi-Art" will suffice..

------------------
Ross: "Inter arma, enim silent leges."
Bashir: "'In the time of war the law falls silent.' Cicero. Have we become a 24th-century Rome, driven by the fact that Caesar can do no wrong?!"
-Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

Nim
Member # 205

Great! Thanx for the links.

So, for those who didn't know, these pictures confirm that the constellation-class has a double set of torpedo-launchers:
http://fabrux.virtualave.net/misc/exp.jpg http://fabrux.virtualave.net/misc/exp2.jpg

These are pictures of the actual model used in the series.

------------------
-Ah don't want none o'your god-damn coffee!!

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps