Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Constellation - Wolf in sheep's-clothing? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Constellation - Wolf in sheep's-clothing?
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, here's a theory. Remember in "The Search For Spock" when Kirk shot the BoP with two torps? I'm looking at the tape now, and Scotty fires two photon's with an interval of 53/100's of a sec (according to my stop-watch) and that was from the same tube.
Yeah I know, get a life, but bear with me.

I found a nice homepage talking about ol' connie-class and it said it had a total inventory of 80 torpedos, 40 for the dorsal launcher, 40 for the ventral.
So the OLD launcher from the Constitution-class could fire torpedos in .5-sec intervals. What would the fire-rate be from BOTH torpedo-tubes, and both launchers on the constellation-class? 8 torp's/second or just past FUBR! That would mean that IF it could fire-link the launchers, it could empty the banks in ten seconds. And if the tubes would fire in a cycle, not simultaneously, it would fire at a cyclic rate of 480 rpm, like a machine-gun!!!

This fits perfectly into the equation if the other information is correct. I'm talking about the famous battle of Maxia, where the USS stargazer was ambushed by a ferengi cruiser. After listening to the subspace-transmission in the episode, one could gather that the Fed's waited until the last moment to defend themselves. So when Picard pulled his manouver he only needed a second to unload 8 torps on the enemy.

Now, why they chose to forever place the connie in the "crappy but nostalgic"-group and not the "aged but lethal"-group is beyond me.
Although I haven't seen "Peak Performance", where the Hathaway engaged in battle-drills with the Enterprise-D.
I think that ep shows a lot of constellation, so I will try to buy it.

------------------
-Have some coffee, it's good!
-Ah don't want none o'your god-damn coffee!!

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I guess the Constellation has launchers up there too. I only wish the Constitution had the same number with 2 forward and 2 aft.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I seen no phaser strip(s) on the upper saucer, but I think I see extra phaser banks lining the upper saucer near the edge. And the "gun" on the lower saucer on the big port buldge could be an early phaser cannon.

------------------

[This message has been edited by PopMaze (edited February 06, 2000).]

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok I just found some proof of what i believe to be phaser strips.

I edited the image above to show them. What do you think ? any theories?

As for the Sci-fi art mesh , On the site they say that the Public Domain Meshes are for our use , they only say to credit them for making them so i think "From Sci-fi art shold be enough.

------------------
"Marge .. Do you have other men in this House ? .. Radioactive men?"
~Homer "The Simpsons"

Jupiter Station , Starfleet Research & Development

[This message has been edited by Dhunter (edited February 06, 2000).]

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

Those aren't phaser strips. If you look at the pics posted by Nimrod, you'll see they look nothing like phasers. I don't know what that strip is, but it's certainly not a phaser strip.

------------------

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah I guess your right , cant blame a guy for dreaming can you? :-)

------------------
~Homer "The Simpsons"

[This message has been edited by Dhunter (edited February 06, 2000).]

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe it's frames for mounting ski-boxes and such!

------------------

Nim
Member # 205

We do know the Excelsior didn't have phaser-strips at first, but then the Lakota fired from a strip against the Defiant, so they should be upgradable.

------------------

Dax
Paradox
Member # 191

- posted      Profile for Dax     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since when did the Lakota have a phaser strip? It only had phaser banks - plenty of them.

------------------
"Forgive me if I don't share your euphoria!" (Weyoun to Dukat, Tears of the Prophets)
Dax's Ships of STAR TREK

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Lakota fired beams from lots of places, including those with emitter "beads" and those with no weaponlike surface features whatsoever, neither "bead turrets" nor strips.

The shots (IIRC):

-L snaps up towards D, opens up with (lower?) saucer emitters. Interior pictures as more shots hit D.
-D rolls over the saucer, firing with pulse phasers and a dorsal turret, L responds with saucertop main phasers
-D continues towards the camera, L fires a beam from the starboard side of the impulse housing (no real emitter here in the model, but one can't tell that from the picture)
-D fires aft torpedo and withdraws, and I think L fires ventral secondary hull phasers as a parting shot
-D flies along the length of L from bow to stern, raking with pulse phasers. L fires from between impulse crystals (no real emitter, but difficult to see) and the bulge between the nacelle pylons (no real emitter, and this is easier to see).

So while a typical E-B style ship has 20 emitters in
5+5 twin mounts on the saucer, a quad mount on ventral secondary hull, and possibly two twin mounts straddling the shuttlebay (according to the "Generations" MSD if not the model), the Lakota apparently adds at least four emitters (two on the impulse deck sides, one atop the impulse housing, one between nacelles). Only the 2 forward torp tubes are apparent, but stern tubes undoubtedly exist as well (presumably in those tailpipe-like protrusions just under the fantail)

The Constellations in turn have 3+3 twin saucer turrets and five additional single turrets on dorsal saucer surface (although we never see any of them fire). I'm still not sure whether there are 2 or 4 torp tubes - the upper ones seem highly suspect, since the lower ones are so obviously taken directly from the Constitution model but the upper ones must be customized if they exist. And the modelmakers didn't even bother to paint the obvious lower ones correctly.

Timo Saloniemi

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dhunter: what is the address for the Wolfpack site where you got that first Const. Pic? I'd like to check it out.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Nim
Member # 205

Thanks, Timo! You gave me a reason to dust of my old tapes! I haven't seen that fight in a long time!
It jumps up two knotches in my Top-10.

You're too right, the Lakota fires only from phaser-knobs (my preferred word), but I didn't notice the Defiant using it's dorsal phaser-strip before, I thought it only did in "Shattered Mirror". And it fired a photon too, highly unusual!

Elaborate, why does the upper constellation-launcher need to be customized?

------------------

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

Aban Rune : This one ?

This one isn't Wolfpaks it was made by Glenn Crouch , his addy is
http://www.geocities.com/~crouchy/3dart.html

He has lots of cool stuff .
------------------
~Homer "The Simpsons"

[This message has been edited by Dhunter (edited February 07, 2000).]

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Dhunter! That is some pretty neat stuff!

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

No Prob Aban , I'm here to serve :-)

Heres a shot of those Phaser "knobs" in action , I like that word nice job Nimrod :-)

The Constellation most likely has a few of these as well , i think a can see a few scattered around the bottom of the Saucer , as for the top I think I see there are two near the front of the Saucer.

------------------
~Homer "The Simpsons"

[This message has been edited by Dhunter (edited February 07, 2000).]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps