Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sector 001-Incident (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sector 001-Incident
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if it was a reuse of the Challenger or Galaxy...

------------------
"To make the merry-go-round go faster, so that everyone needs to hang on tighter, just to keep from being thrown to the wolves."
-They Might Be Giants, "They Might Be Giants"

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Michael_T: Surely you can�t mean that a galaxy-class starship has a NX-prefix? That would imply that it is a variant. Pic anyone?

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A galaxy class variant? I would like to see that? Could be a dreadnought variation?

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If it did have an NX registry, it would have to have been the USS Galaxy herself. That C could have been a G instead. However, I recall the Galaxy having an NCC registry in "Tears of the Prophets" And there are already three different variations on the Galaxy class. 1) The original 2) The Venture with phaser strips on the nacelles 3) The original but with the upper spine in black. I will not count the E-D from "All Good Things..." because that has not been seen in the regular timeline. The first ship of any variation on a class that has an NX registry must be classified as a different class altogether. And there were no new classes or design variations in WYLB.
------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

[This message has been edited by PopMaze (edited March 20, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by PopMaze (edited March 20, 2000).]

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, as regards the NX-prefix, wouldn�t the USS Galaxy have been "upgraded" to NCC when the galaxy-class became truly operational? It can�t be considered experimental when full production has started, can it?

As to the galaxy-class variant with "upper spine in black", what�s this? That I have totally missed, any pics?

I already have pics of the USS Venture. That ship�s use of the phaser strips on the nacelles is copied from the variant in "All good things..", by the way.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A ship class can still have a nx registry even if the class has gone into production such as the defiant class. However we know the galaxy was given a ncc registry not an nx one.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personally, I think an NX ship doesn't get an "NCC" painted on it unless it goes in for a refit or repairs or something. The Defiant was never repainted because it never really went into drydock or anything for extensive reworking. Well, except maybe during the war. But I don't think they would really worry about it then.

------------------
"To make the merry-go-round go faster, so that everyone needs to hang on tighter, just to keep from being thrown to the wolves."
-They Might Be Giants, "They Might Be Giants"

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there could be an easy explination: there's a new Galaxy Class starship.

------------------
"Life's a bitch, then you die"
-USS Vanderbilt, Vanderbuilt Class starship

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
..or not.

Only class ships get the NX prefix. Not ships already of the class.

------------------
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
-Mark Twain

Dane Simri
Member # 272

- posted      Profile for Dane Simri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Only class ships get the NX prefix."

Do you mean, Ultra Magnus, that only experimental, prototype ships get the NX prefix, regardless of whether or not a class develops from them? I think this is closer to the facts.

And what happens when a prototype, NX-registered ship completes its testing? If the decision is made to include it in the active fleet, does it lose its NX in favor of an NCC? Evidence pro is obviously Excelsior; evidence con is Defiant?

------------------
Dane

"Mathematicians have long held that a million monkeys banging on a million keyboards would eventually reproduce the collected wisdom of the human race. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true." -- Robert Silensky

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, but one can argue that the Defiant never finished her prototype phase before being destroyed. Even the DS9 tech man. had said so and probably would retain the NX prefix for a long time even if the class went into production.

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Well, the Excelsior had quite a few other changes made when it went from NX to NCC. They probably repainted the hull while it was being upgraded.

The Defiant never really had this, so one could say that they just never got around to repainting the hull.

------------------
me: "I need a new sig..."
CC: "Well create one."
-why I don't have a real signature

Joshua Bell
Member # 327

- posted      Profile for Joshua Bell     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you like (or don't like) wacky names for your starships, check out the "Culture" book series by Ian M. Banks. The starships are 10s or 100s of kilometer long, self-aware ships built of force fields, and they name (and rename) themselves. Some examples:

GCU Big Sexy Beast
GCU What Are The Civilian Applications?
GSV What Is The Answer and Why?
LOU Gunboat Diplomat
dROU Zealot

GCU = General (biggest) Contact Unit
GSV = General Systems (multipurpose) Vehicle
LOU = Limited (smaller) Offensive Unit
dROU = Demilitarized Rapid Offensive Unit

Full list:
http://www.phlebas.com/text/ships.html

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
??? What do you mean with this?

------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er...that Starfleet's naming system is pretty darned pedestrian in the grand scheme of things?

Or maybe that a Banks novel is usually a pretty good read?

------------------
"What did it mean to fly? A tremor in your soul. To resist the dull insistance of gravity."
--
Camper Van Beethoven

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps