Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sovereign Torpedo Launcher and Captain's Yacht (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Sovereign Torpedo Launcher and Captain's Yacht
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This one has been bugging me for a while, but I've never gotten around to posting it. As some of you remember, it was put in I believe Star Trek: The Magazine some design sketches of how the Sovereign's yacht would drop from the bottom of the main torpedo launcher on the unside of the saucer for Insurrection. In these sketches, we can see the bay inside, and part of the torpedo launcher. Unfortunatly, what we do see of the torpedo launcher, is the very front, where the torpedo exits the ship. This picture shows that the launcher briefly turns downward at about a 45 degree angle, then returns to horizontal before the end. Now, the question is, how could a torpedo, which would be at tremendous speed at that point in the launch sequence, suddenly change direction like that inside the tube? I think that this Yacht bay thing needs a lot more thinking out.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Delta Vega
Member # 283

- posted      Profile for Delta Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe they kept in the middle of somesort of magnetic field, so the torpedo stays in the center of the tube and dosn't brush into the wall. Just an idea.
Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought I had that sketch on my harddrive. I have it in a book but I don't have access to a scanner rightnow. Could someone post it please. Thanks.

------------------
"Why can't we be friends?'--Smash Mouth

The web page is not completed yet, but come by and check it out. :)
Quantum Threshold

Avalon Sector

Cartman
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jello, this is my 1st time posting here.

About the Enterprise-E's Torpedo Tube and the Captains yacht. You got this from a design sketch, does anyone have any good pics of the launch scene from Insurrection. I trust video more then a drawing.

BTW, you guys find any wrong info in this?

U.S.S. ENTERPRISE NCC-1701-E
-Sovereign Class Starship
-Commanded by: Captain Jean-Luc Picard
-Length: 685.2 Meters
-Height: 88 Meters
-Number of Decks: 24
-Launched: 2372 Stardate:49027.5
-Constructed: San Francisco Yards
-Number of Phasers: 12 Type-X Phaser Arrays
-Number of Torpedo Tubes: 5 Quantum/Photon Torpedo Tubes
-Saucer Seperation: Yes
-Main Bridge: Deck 1
-Main Engineering: Deck 16
-Sickbay: Deck 8/16
-Captain Picard's Living Quarters: Deck 7
-Max Impulse: Unknown
-Max Warp: Unknown
-Number of Crew: 700-900
-Number of Shuttlebays: 2
-Type of Shuttles: XI
-Captain's Yacht: Yes
-Name of Captain's Yacht: Cousteau
-Length of Captain's Yacht: 33.53 Meters
-Bio Neural Gel Packs: Yes
-Hull: Duranium

------------------
Respect My Authoritha!

[This message has been edited by Cartman (edited June 19, 2000).]

IP: Logged
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Dr. Evil Speak] Right [/Dr. Evil Speak]

Anywho, Cartman is the new guy, I brought him here, he is the "Sovereign Expert", lets see how he does with the big boys. Oh, and he's a Crazy Canuck

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Cartman
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ty, Matt. I do consider myself an "expert" on the Sovereign Class. Ever since November 1996 I have been been going crazy trying to get as much info on the Sovereign class, I love them.

PS. Yes, I AM CANADIAN

And arent we all a little Crazy?

------------------
Respect My Authoritha!

IP: Logged
Trip Tucker
Member # 297

- posted      Profile for Trip Tucker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, I'm Canadian too!
This rocks.

Hey, here's a good question: Everyone seems to be an expert one at least one ship or two. I'm the best with the Equinox and the Prometheus. You guys?

------------------
It is offensive. Fortunately, taste is irrelevant.
-Seven of Nine

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Is it possible to be an "expert" on the Prometheus???
I thought there wasn't any info on it?

About the plumbing of the torp-tube, it could be that the torps are hauled down the first section of the tube, then halted at the "turn", where they can be fired one-after-another, like with a machine-gun clip.

I think the tube would have some sort of magnetic railing device or gauss-device to push the slugs out, and then the torp's own propulsion-system takes over.
But the tracking is poor. When Defiant fired quantum-volleys, they hardly ever compensated at all for target movement.
Guess the producers doesn't want Starfleet to be too good, eh?

No, I say give me the Prometheus-launcher!! That's one slick photon-system, flying around until it has found a target. You can just pump out those babies and tell them to track enemy-signatures!
That's what the borg/voy-torps did against Species 8472, didn't they???

Oh, and Cartman? I don't trust the E's FIVE torpedo-launchers or saucer-separation capabilities. It certainly hasn't been proven in the movies. Has it been confirmed from Big "P" or something, or is it just wishful thinking?

And what does TPTB mean??? The Powers That Be?

------------------
I'm not an atheist, I'm a maybeist�

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited June 20, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited June 20, 2000).]

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TPTB is indeed 'The Powers That Be'.

5 torpedo launchers seems right:
- 1 Q-torp in front of the Captain's Yacht.
- 2 Photon torpedo launchers under the deflector dish (used to destroy the tractor beam which was holding the Defiant).
- 2 rear torpedo launchers (one on the lowest part of the ship that you can find, the other somewhere above the saucer shuttlebay, as seen in Insurrection where the torpedos went over the nacelles).

Saucer seperation: Seen in one of the latest scetches. Seperation lines are clearly visible on the Ent-E AND match the scetch.

------------------
"Do you want to be President?"
"Yes."
"Put you hand on the book and say 'I do'."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

- G'kar and Sheridan, Babylon 5.

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited June 20, 2000).]

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW: The Ent-E seems to have a modest tracking system. Both the Q-torps aimed at the Borg Sphere and the torpedos fired at the Son'a ships were going in a slightly curved trajectory.

------------------
"Do you want to be President?"
"Yes."
"Put you hand on the book and say 'I do'."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

- G'kar and Sheridan, Babylon 5.

[This message has been edited by Altair (edited June 20, 2000).]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Exactly what I wanted to hear!
There'll be some serious freeze-framing tonite!

------------------
I'm not an atheist, I'm a maybeist�

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I suppose I could be the expert on the Nebula class... A friend of mine is an expert on the Ambassador class...

------------------
"When you realized that your website is your business and your software can't handle the traffic, that was an epiphany."
-Avery Brooks, IBM commercial

Black Knight
Member # 134

- posted      Profile for Black Knight     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's that sketch with the saucer separation, though that just might be a neat idea and not something that they used. We will have to wait to see until ST:X to see if it does.

Here's that supposed torpedo launcher above the Shuttlebay.

That was designed to be a shuttle observation area to coordinate multiple shuttle launches and recoveries.

And here is a sketch of the rear torpedo launchers:

So it does have two in front, two in back, and one under the captain's yacht.

------------------
"Why can't we be friends?'--Smash Mouth

The web page is not completed yet, but come by and check it out. :)
Quantum Threshold

Avalon Sector

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Crap, everyone's an expert on a class but me!

My life is ruined.

------------------
Sisko: "We run alright, run right at them."
Smiley: "Ah, Pattern Suicide."
Federation Starship Datalink - New and improved Starship Database!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why specialize? I enjoy having advanced knowledge on everything. All goes to that whole "Unquestioned Lord & Master of the Universe" thing...

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps