Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Sovereign Torpedo Launcher and Captain's Yacht (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Sovereign Torpedo Launcher and Captain's Yacht
Cartman
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We also can't forget the MSD of the Enterprise-E. It shows Foward and aft Torpedo Launchers other then the "Main" Launcher above the yacht. And the MSD also shows what looks like a Battle Bridge. So I do beleive that she (My Baby) can seperate.

------------------
Respect My Authoritha!

IP: Logged
Cartman
Ex-Member

And about the shuttle observation area, thats what it is. We know that it's not a Torpedo Launcher(s) because in Insurrection, when the launch the shuttle, we can see inside it, and what we see in not a Torpedo Tube. The Torpedo's fired at the So'na in Insurrection were fired from the wrong location, in other words the FX guys goofed.

And yes, I do consider myself an expert on the Sovereign Class.

------------------
Respect My Authoritha!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Done freeze-framing!!

In the first scene of First Contact, when our lady slowly glides past the camera, showing her back, you can see the shuttlebay-lookout in the back of the neck. Those are most certainly windows.

Another tidbit: When Picard completes the maglock-cycle and the borg deflector-dish dances away in the void, the outgoing zoom of the Enterprise gives a great view of the dark dual-launchers under the deflector dish.

The stern launcher is harder, but a dark spot does show on the end of her belly, when flying by the Defiant. The two dual-launchers are of similar design so they prolly get their eggs from the same basket.

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you ask me, the screwed up Insurrection launcher could be in that "spine" directly behind the shuttlebay. In the picture BK put up, it would be about where that shuttle is that's flying in. Also, if the Sovereign can seperate, I doubt if she can reattach with ease. Remember, the engineering hull of the Sovereign has no impulse engines for movement, so I doubt if the ship was designed to operate as two seperate entities, and that the manuever would only be used as a last resort.

I also found the picture that shows the torpedo launcher, Star Trek: The Magazine, Issue #4 (August 1999), page 29. You can clearly see from the sketch that the launcher changes direction at the very tip. Also, if the Yacht is gone from the ship, the torpedo launcher is really exposed to damage, not exactly the best idea I've seen.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

[This message has been edited by The359 (edited June 20, 2000).]

Cartman
Ex-Member

I see what your talking about Matt, and I just checked Insurrection, there the same. I think it works just like a gun (as mentioned), Torpedo's move into place really fast, they sit in the tube near the end point, and when the word in given, they all just file out, (REALLY FAST).

And while were on the subject of the Cousteau, anyone notice that it has small escape pods on the foward port and starboard sides?

------------------
Respect My Authoritha!

Cartman
Ex-Member

oh yes, and about the Aft Torpedo Tube(s) fired in Insurrection, I don't think there are any aside from the ones we know are there. The FX guys goofed, plain and simple, cuz that "spine" don't look very much like a Torpedo Tube.

------------------
Respect My Authoritha!

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are those triangles on the bow of the Cousteau really lifepod covers, or just big paws for the forward landing gear?

As for the aft torpedo tubes, I fail to see why everybody considers the scene in "Insurrection" to be a goof-up. The torps could easily be coming from underneath the ship, from the well-established twin aft launchers. Contrary to some statements, they do NOT fly between the nacelles and the camera. They leave the vicinity of the Enterprise within a few frames and move rapidly to the distance, while at the same time the Enterprise performs a banking maneuver and the camera moves slightly - so there is a lot of leeway in estimating the location of the launcher, and the twin ventral one is certainly a possibility.

And perhaps the saucer torp tube next to the yacht berth is so short because it cannot fire at warp speeds? Perhaps it's only intended for "swim-out" quantum torpedoes that leave the ship mostly under their own propulsion? Thus, the ship would need those twin forward launchers for more traditional warp launches.

Timo Saloniemi

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn you guys post fast!

I don't know if this is mentioned:

About the lowest rear torpedo launcher: The picture above shows 2 tubes. The flyby towards the Phoenix clearly shows only one tube.

------------------
"Do you want to be President?"
"Yes."
"Put you hand on the book and say 'I do'."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

- G'kar and Sheridan, Babylon 5.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't ST: First Contact use both CGI and the physical model Enterprise-E? And the torp launcher above the Coustau a dual launcher?

------------------
Cigar Girl- "Would you like to check my figures?"

James Bond- "I'm sure that they are very well rounded..."

The World is Not Enough

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the "First Contact" flyby shows an aft *tractor beam emitter*, not the torp tubes. The emitter is a steerable assembly similar to those the E-D supposedly had, and it does look like a single flat torp tube. The real tubes are supposedly immediately above the emitter.

Timo Saloniemi

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Recap of visibly identified tubes:

1 tube in front of the Yacht
2 tubes below the deflector
1 tube on the bottom rear just above (what is most probably) the tractor beam emmiter, again this is clearly visible in the flyby towards the Phoenix. I saw that myself just a few minutes ago, and my brother agreed with it without a doubt when I asked him.

That makes 4 official tubes.

------------------
"Yes."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

Cartman
Ex-Member

Sorry to say, but there are still 2 aft torpedo tubes. I just watched that scene, you can't make out anything cept a big black spot, and that can't all be a Torpedo tube. Plus, the blueprints for the construction of the Ent-E model for First Contact shows that there are indeed 2 Torpedo Tubes. So the official count is still 5 Torpedo Tubes.

------------------
Respect My Authoritha!

[This message has been edited by Cartman (edited June 21, 2000).]

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

Just rewatched the scenes in question.
You could be right there...

------------------
"Yes."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

Cartman
Ex-Member

I am...
BTW, I wonder if all the Enterprise-E's torpedo tubes can fire Quantum Torpedo's, or is it just the one.

------------------
Respect My Authoritha!

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

As I said before: In First Contact it looks like the Ent-E is firing the 2 photon torpedos destoying the tracktor beam that was holding the Defiant.

And now for another Voyager nit: In Dreadnought we get to hear that the Q-torps in the Cardassian Torpedo could be used by Voyager...

------------------
"Yes."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps