Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Recent Fact Files - starship stuff.... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Recent Fact Files - starship stuff....
Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fact Files 179 and 180 have had a chart of Starfleet vessels. You can see the comparison silhouette chart at http://steve.pugh.net/fleet/images/ff_chart.gif

There were also spreads of full colour images (starboard views) and brief notes. The first two spreads did all the ships down to Miranda in size and listed a length. The dodgy lengths from the DS9 TM were used so the Miranda is too big and the Sabre is way too big.

The last two spreads didn't list lengths. The Constellation is also too small. I have no idea where they got that size for the Steamrunner from.

The Tug, see http://steve.pugh.net/fleet/images/ff_tug.gif seems to be a new ship. Where's it from? The big arms seem to rule out the tug from 'A Time to Stand'. I've only seen up to the end of season 6 DS9 and most of season 5 Voyager, so does this come from a later show (maybe the UP scenes in that time travelling Voyager episode)?

Also, how well do the sizes of the Niagara and Freedom match with the current analysis that some of you folks are doing? Ditto the relative sizes of the Attack Fighter, Danube and Scoutship?

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

[This message has been edited by Identity Crisis (edited July 03, 2000).]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That Sabre-Class CANNOT be right. From all we've seen from FC and SoA, it's about a fourth longer than the Defiant. Otherwise it's a great chart.

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited July 03, 2000).]

Identity Crisis
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course the Sabre isn't right. It uses the dimensions from the DS9 TM, which as we all know is full or errors. In this case the TM proofreaders failed to notice that the Sabre stats were a cut and paste from the Norway.

As I pointed out the Miranda/Soyuz is also too large and the Constellation too small.

In fact, the Constitution refit is also too small, as the Fact File authors made both Cosntitutions 289m long rather than making the refit 305m as it should be.

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only thing I can think of for the Tug Class is that little Klingon-looking thing seen towing the Fredrickson at the beginning of the ep where we first saw the Shelley Class. It was the season 6 premiere I think.

Of course if I had been paying attention, I'd have realized that that was the ship you were talking about from ATTS. I still think that's what it's supposed to be though.

------------------
"A gathering of Angels appeared above my head. They sang to me this song of hope, and this is what they said..." -Styx

Aban's Illustration www.thespeakeasy.com/alanfore

[This message has been edited by Aban Rune (edited July 03, 2000).]

Identity Crisis
Member # 67

Yeah, I took another look at it. The nacelles and nacelle supports match fairly well. And it's possible that the on screen ship had those arms folded up in a more compact position. If only the Fact Files would give a top or forward view we'd be able to tell. Or have they already done that and I've missed it?

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHOA!! The Steamrunner is WAY to small...

------------------
"Do you want to be President?"
"Yes."
"Put you hand on the book and say 'I do'."
"I do."
"Good, done. Let's eat!"

- G'kar and Sheridan, Babylon 5.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was sure there were some images of the tug at Pedro's, but I can't seem to find them.

At any rate, there weren't any new ships featured in "Relativity", at least that anyone has been able to spot. I'm presuming that the Fact Files say that this is indeed a Federation vessel? Hmm. The Time to Stand tug seems to be the only ship that fits. It would appear that the idea of that tug being Klingon is not universally shared.

------------------
But the dead only quickly decay. They don't go about being born and reborn and rising and falling like souffle. The dead only quickly decay.
--
Gothic Archies
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! For the love of God, Montressor!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in comparison to the Miranda, the Freedom and Niagara are approximately right. However, the Nia should be slightly longer than the Fre (not the other way around, as shown).

But, then, that's assuming that both diagrams are accurate, and that they have normal GCS nacelles. Both of which cases, at least for the Nia, we now know to be untrue. So basically, we don't know the lengths anymore.

Did anyone else notice that their diagram of the Soyuz is missing the bottom section of the added-on stuff?

------------------
"I'm sick of you little girl and boy groups: all you do is annoy me, so I have been sent here to destroy you..."
-Eminem, "The Real Slim Shady"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm...oddly enough, they have the Excelsior II there, and the Akira, Saber, Steamrunner, Defiant, and Sydney all look like they have incorrect sizes. You'd think the person doing the diagram would have noticed the Saber/Norway thing...

------------------
June is National Accordion Awareness Month.
"People are buried however they choose to be, apparently. Unless you've never written your will, in which case your body is shipped to Meltakron V and reanimated to serve as a robot in their yttrium mines." - Simon Sizer

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I already have the tug pic a couple of days, but I didn't want to scare anyone. Okay, so I'll have to accept it eventually.

The ship chart is simply ridiculous. It shows how the same old errors (Sabre, Sydney) are reproduced again and again, and new ones (Niagara, Constellation) added.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Brown_supahero
Member # 83

- posted      Profile for Brown_supahero     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The TUG Did this really came from FF.
Which way is front? Is there gonna be a proper name for this class
How many people accept this image?
If Bernd will accept this I will

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I will never accept the tug as Federation or Starfleet unless TPTB say it is. It looks WAY TOO Klingon to me. Some people just have to say it's Fed or Starfleet because it appeared with a Starfleet fleet. They're wrong. That fleet also had Klingon BOPs.

And almost all drawings of the Soyuz out there are incorrect. The Soyuz has a rounded bridge (early ST II TV series refit Enterprise), 4 sensor pods (1 dorsal, 1 ventral, 1 port, 1 starboard), an extra deck or two that's been added to the lower saucer right above the lower sensor dome, and spikes that stick out forward from that/those deck(s).

------------------
7 alarm clock: "Do not touch me."
Dilbert: "Then how do I turn you off?"
7: "Believe me, I am plenty turned off."

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*makes the prerequiste comment on the attack fighter*

Although it's kinda hard to make out on the chart, I'd say it's still a bit small. It should be about 35m long, its more like 25 in the diagram.

------------------
"Truth about Santa Claus debunks Santa God. God evolves from Santa."
-Gene Ray, http://www.timecube.com

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nobody is perfect.

------------------
"No matter where you go, there you are."

Identity Crisis
Member # 67

Using the Wolf 359 comparison chart from Bernd's site I get lengths for the Freedom and Niagara in the 450m region whereas this chart puts them in the 260m region. Is this in line with current thinking?

The Tug, right is forwards. No proper class name given. As every other pic on the chart has appeared elsewhere in the FF over the years I'm guessing that the Tug will be detailed in an issue coming soon(-ish).

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps