Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Recent Fact Files - starship stuff.... (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Recent Fact Files - starship stuff....
Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As long as we don't have a close-up on the Freedom, I must say I like the idea of it being only 260-270m long. This would make it the 24th century successor to the Saladin/Hermes line, and the nacelle would be roughly in scale with the New Orleans nacelle of similar shape. And I would be VERY happy if Niagara could be considered this small, too - but the window count seems to rule that out.

Here's hoping the Fact Files don't corrupt too many young minds with that chart. Thankfully, it isn't graphically stunning or anything. Perhaps it would best be used for practicing the art of silhouette-cutting?

Timo Saloniemi

D-S
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The FF gave got it wrong again, It aint a TUG it's [as everyone should know] The Standard issue Federation tin opener!

The pic of the Saber is wrong the lower hull should come below the nacelles

IP: Logged
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The TUG *has* got Intrepid impulse engines...

------------------
FuckU-FuckMe: Changing the feel of communication:
"What kinds of security controls does FuckU-FuckMe offer?

All FuckU-FuckMe users can control whom they connect to on an individual basis. There's no need to go to a public reflector. "

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Prakesh's Star Trek Site

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And the Vor'Cha *has* got Galaxy ramscoops.

Industrial espionage or amicable technology exchange?

Timo Saloniemi

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or just surface similarity.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Canadian bacon is called that because it's made from Canadians. And while I'm on the subject, could you people cut back on the fish and rodents and eat more fruits and berries? It would vastly improve your flavor, in my opinion." - Simon Sizer

Timo
Member # 245

I only recently realized that the tug is supposed to be facing left in the picture - those big arms are dangling behind it (or then the thing is moving on reverse in "A Time to Stand"). That would mean the Intrepid engines are some sort of braking thrusters...

Anyway, since kitbashers freely intermingle parts from the ships of various races, I won't accept this as a Fed design until I see Starfleet insignia or Latin text on it. OTOH, I won't really accept it as Klingon until I see their cuneiform on it, either...

Umm, what if this is Dominion war loot, and the Frederickson is actually PUSHING it home?

Timo Saloniemi

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Every other ship on the Fact Files charts is facing RIGHT, so why should this one be facing LEFT? What led you to that conclusion, Timo?

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Niagara size in the FF chart is definitely much too small. There is no way to disregard the window sizes.

If the FF diagram of the Freedom alone is correct, then the deck heights in the saucer roughly correspond with the size of a 1/1 scale Galaxy nacelle - exactly as on the Niagara model which was also built by Greg Jein. The only problems are the tall windows in the neck. I'm inclined to say this is the FF is wrong with that. I can't imagine that Greg Jein made such errors on a custom-built model.

I would like to make the Freedom smaller too, but it seems more likely that the ship is actually 430m.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Timo
Member # 245

The orientation of the tug comes, very simply, from the relevant "A Time to Stand" scene. It's easy to see that the angular ends of the nacelles point towards the viewer (and glow red), and the canted leading edges of the "pylons" are also a giveaway - their upper ends are farther away from the viewer than the lower ends.

The overall coloration on screen (as opposed to in the picture) still strikes me as Klingon - and the red lines on the flanks in the pic do not appear to be decorative Starfleet streamers, but pieces of machinery (which doesn't even glow red in the episode).

I wonder if the thing is manned? It's big enough to have habitable spaces, but there are no obvious windows or accessways.

Don't the cylindrar bow and stern fixtures (with the harpoon-like things in the aft fixture) look like some sort of docking adapters that could fit into each other? Perhaps there's a matching fixture in a typical starship. Heck, most Klingon starships do have round holes of this apparent diameter - never mind that they are torp tubes, they may also be towing fixtures.

Timo Saloniemi

Identity Crisis
Defender of the Non-Canon
Member # 67

- posted      Profile for Identity Crisis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess it does fit the screenshots better that way round. Another goof for the FF.

torp tubes, towing fixtures and of course doccking ports (many shots of BoPs docked to DS9 nose first).

------------------
-->Identity Crisis<--

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what, those look like Romulan nacelles on that thing...

------------------
"Huh. An intelligent guard. I never would have guessed."
-Stith, Titan A.E.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The modeler strikes again...so far I've idenitified 5 pieces of the tug:

--the Romulan warbird nacelles;
--the Intrepid-class outer pylon wing;
--the Danube-class sensor rollbar (look on the top);
--legs from an Imperial AT-ST (the arms);
--at least one of the clips used to hold a motherboard to its case (the "prongs" all the way to the right)

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps