Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Older Okuda Interview (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Older Okuda Interview
Capt Sharpe
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In a UK TNG Magazine published by Marvel back in Sept 1991 (issue 20) there is an interview with Okuda set around the production time of TNG Season 4. Several of the pictures with the article are Okudagrams from the Ent-D. But they tend to conflict with some stuff excepted as Canon today. For example, the USS Trieste is listed as Yosemite Class NCC-37124...but other places list the Trieste as Merced Class. It also shows a dedication plaque for the Tsiolkovski which states the Oberth Class ship was launched on Stardate 40291.7 - Isn't that a bit late to have a Reg of 53911? And of course, it also lists the construction yard as Baikonur, USSR *lol*

The question is, how canon do we consider the Okuda diagrams to be?

------------------

IP: Logged
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
It also shows a dedication plaque for the Tsiolkovski

Great. I hope you have this issue and can scan the plaque and the okudagrams. This would be the evidence that these ships are Oberth-class-vessels.

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I knew those Commie bastards were up to no good. Trying to make us believe the Soviet Union collapsed, waiting for us to put our guard down.

Seriously though, I like that they put those in-jokes such as the USSR in dedication plaques and LCARS displays. It shows that they have a sense of humor and enjoy their work.

------------------
Calvin: "Isn't that weird?? If computers can think, what will people be better at than machines?"
Hobbes: "Irrational behavior."
This post is sponsored in part by the Federation Starship Datalink

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erm... Wasn't the Tsiolkovsky's dedication plaque in Russian, Cyrillic alphabet and all?

------------------
"Yeah...apparently Sizer is very hard to say, so they replace it with 'Is Mr. Caeser home?'
Sometimes I'll say that no, he has, in fact, passed away.
'My apologies.'
'Oh, that's ok, I'm over it. Brutus is still a wreck though.'
Then I hang up."
-Simon Sizer on telemarketers, 1-Nov-2000

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to Mike Okuda only the shipname was in Cyrillic.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited November 01, 2000).]

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there is a Yosemite class, then it'd have to be pretty old, since the USS Yosemite NCC-19002, Oberth class (clearly seen on screen, and canon) would be rather old in itself. I still want to see photos first.

------------------
Me: "Why don't you live in Hong Kong?"
Rachel Roberts: "Hong Kong? Nah. Oh, but we can live in China! Yeah, China has great Chinese food!"

(discussion with fellow classmate, 9/5/00)

Mustang Class Starship Development Project

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There is canonical evidence that Star Fleet starships being built in the 2360's had registries in the 50000 to 60000 block. So, the commissioning date of the U.S.S. Tsiolkovsky is not unreasonable.

As for the Yosemite Class, I tend to believe that, as in the case with other ships in TNG, that the U.S.S. Yosemite seen in "Realm of Fear" may have been originally another ship than what is seen on tv. However, budgetary concerns forced the change and Mr. Okuda had to change the class of the U.S.S. Trieste.

When I heard that CGI is being used in Star Trek, I had hoped to see a variety of classes, including those mentioned by Mr.Okuda. However, there is very little variety in the Federation designs. And a great deal of variety in non-Federation designs week to week. This is something that I don't understand. If the artist can create a new alien ship, why can't the artist create a new Star Fleet ship? Are there limitations imposed by Paramount on the variety of designs that can be made for the Star Fleet ships?

Returning to thread, this information of the dedication plates and the okudagram could be found in volume 16 of the ST: TNG magazine, published by Starlog many years ago.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

quote:
Returning to thread, this information of the dedication plates and the okudagram could be found in volume 16 of the ST: TNG magazine, published by Starlog many years ago.

Do you have this volume?

------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I'm more worried about Starfleet ships having too much variety. Why on Earth do they need so many different variants of starships when they all do the same thing anyway? It would make sense if there were dedicated fast attack ships with "missile" weapons, lumbering giants with "guns" and "armor", transports with little or no armament but lots of cargo space... Instead, most ships carry an identical selection of phasers and torpedoes, and whenever there are differences, they do not translate into differences in the operational role of the vessel.

What CGI could do would be to give us Starfleet tugs, tankers, tenders, waste collection barges - ships that could not be built in model form because they would only be used once or twice per an entire TV series, and would not be useful as "hero" vessels. But no, all we get is "cool" ships like the ST:FC selection.

Timo Saloniemi

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to agree with Timo, I would also like to see more of the support ships of Starfleet. There is a refueling ship mentioned in ST:TNG tech manual for instance. That would have been interesting to see.

------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity�s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh*. Why is it The Powers That Be always see the 'general public' as a bunch of brainless sheep just accepting and swallowing everything they give us..

------------------
"Dynamics is like playing hockey with a flexible hockey stick"
-My Physics teacher
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you honestly believe that?

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

Capt Sharpe
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://www.geocities.com/capt_hornet/plaque.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/capt_hornet/yosemite.jpg

Those are the links to the Ded Plaque and the 15 starship list which includes a Yosemite Class Trieste instead of a Merced Class Trieste.

IP: Logged
Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

Here's another variant of the 15-ships-okudagram from Captain's Chair http://www.8ung.at/fitz/ships/display8.gif

IMO the Trieste is a Yosemite-class-ship. I think the Captain's Chair-okudagram was changed to confirm what the Encyclopedia says about the Trieste.

So we have just canon evidence for Yosemite and no canon evidence for Merced.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited November 03, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited November 03, 2000).]

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Please look at the registry of the U.S.S. Zhukov.

This starship has the registry of NCC-62136.

Question, which registry is accurate?
I say the number 62136 is accurate for the fourth year. This registry is on the model and the chart.

Later, Mr. Okuda changed the registry of the U.S.S. Zhukov.

With the information present in the chart, can we make a guess as to when this chart appeared in the fourth year?

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps