Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Uprated Constitution class? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Uprated Constitution class?
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe Frank may be thinking of a fleet command center...

------------------
"What happens on the edges of infinity, the never-never land of mathematics?"
-Miss Hodgin

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or for comms jamming, or for scanning the enemy ships, or even for combat, depending on the weapons configuration.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Brave New World: 'The future sucks. Or does it? Hell if I know. Ooh, LSD!'" - Simon Sizer

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, yes. I can see it happen very clearly:

"We've engaged the Borg!"

2 seconds later:

"We've lost the comm ship!"

------------------
"That's your plan? Wile E. Coyote would come up with a better plan than that!"
- Crighton, Farscape.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not like any ship other than an Enterprise or Voyager would last any much longer. It all depends on shielding. A newer Oberth probably has very powerful shielding.

------------------
-Miss Hodgin

colin
Member # 217

- posted      Profile for colin         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Oberth Class scout is not a warship nor was the ship ever designed for war.

Unlike the other starships of the 23rd century, this class has no weapon turrets nor photon torpodoe locations. And her shields are very weak. In both instances where an Oberth Class ship were destroyed, the ships were destroyed by a single shot with shields raised.

Though we are led to believe that Starfleet doesn't sacrifice life needlessly, there are instances where life is sacrificed needlessly. In "Emissary", the Vulcan captain takes a ship with families aboard into battle against the Borg. In "First Contact", the Steamrunners were destroyed repeatedly. I counted at least 7 of these ships destroyed.

------------------

takeoffs are optional; landings are mandatory

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Unlike the other starships of the 23rd century, this class has no weapon turrets nor photon torpodoe locations."

Can you prove this, though?

"And her shields are very weak. In both instances where an Oberth Class ship were destroyed, the ships were destroyed by a single shot with shields raised."

How do you know this? The Bonestell could have been hit before we saw it, and the Grissom didn't seem to have time to even raise its shields.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"Brave New World: 'The future sucks. Or does it? Hell if I know. Ooh, LSD!'" - Simon Sizer

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It seems the Grissom had time to "stand by" for evasive action, and there were rather lengthy cuts into the Klingon bridge in the middle of the action. I have no doubt Esteban *could* have raised shields in the time allotted. That isn't proof he did raise them, but do we really want to think that every non-main-character officer in Starfleet is an idiot?

I rather like the idea of an Oberth playing a major role in covert ops. Of course, she could be just a decoy (or indeed a flying bomb, although I doubt Starfleet really wanted to do anything as noisy as that). But it could also be that a properly tuned Oberth is the lowest-signature ship available to Starfleet. Or then SFI or some sort of Starfleet commando force likes to use these innocent-looking ships as the specially equipped motherships for their cloaking powered-armor infiltration units.

Timo Saloniemi

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No torpodoes? Next you'll be saying it doesn't have any condondrums either. . .

------------------
Luke Ford: "What's it like having a dick in your ass?"

Zoe: "Imagine taking your bottom lip and pulling it over the top of your head. You get used to it but it does hurt."

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How and when did the Bonestell go down?

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of all the ways you had to put it. . . what is this sudden obsession with things going down everywhere?

------------------
Luke Ford: "What's it like having a dick in your ass?"

Zoe: "Imagine taking your bottom lip and pulling it over the top of your head. You get used to it but it does hurt."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

The Bonestell was destroyed at Wolf 359.

------------------
-Miss Hodgin

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I have no doubt Esteban *could* have raised shields in the time allotted.

I don't think so. The time between arrival of the BoP and destruction of the Grissom was too short for establishing a commcontact with Starfleet Command to get permission for raising shilds.

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Here's a thought: Maybe the Grissom was a specialty vessel. Powerful sensors and analyzing equipment in sacrifice of shielding and weaponry. Maybe Starfleet figured that no one would try to get to Genesis, and didn't think an armed vessel would be needed.

------------------
-Miss Hodgin

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Unlike the other starships of the 23rd century, this class has no weapon turrets nor photon torpodoe locations.

I've said this many times, and it has been proven many times as well. But I'll say it again, just for all you newbies: There was an Oberth class ship which fired a phaser in the movie 'First Contact'.

------------------
"That's your plan? Wile E. Coyote would come up with a better plan than that!"
- Crighton, Farscape.

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
There was an Oberth class ship which fired a phaser in the movie 'First Contact'.

, but AFAIK there are no phasers on the Oberth-studiomodel.

------------------
[URL=http://www.8ung.at/fitz/]"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

[This message has been edited by Fitz (edited January 04, 2001).]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps