Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Size of 'mushroom' starbases. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Size of 'mushroom' starbases.
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As you might have guessed from this thread's title, I'm going to ask you what the size (estimate) for the mushroom-shaped starbases is (both 'small' TMP one and Starbse 74).

------------------
"Content, graphics, and design are © 1999-2000 by The Solareclipse Network"
-And no-one even noticed the typo...
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was no starbase in TMP. Unless you mean the upside down "Regula I" office thing.
Mushroom Space dock was first seen in STIII, and also in STVI (I know the inside part was in IV and V, but I don't think there were any external shots of it).

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was an exterior shot in IV, because I remember seeing the lights blink out when the probe went by.

------------------
Me: "Why don't you live in Hong Kong?"
Rachel Roberts: "Hong Kong? Nah. Oh, but we can live in China! Yeah, China has great Chinese food!"

(discussion with fellow classmate, 9/5/00)

Mustang Class Starship Development Project

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And, in actuality, Regula I is an upside down office complex...

------------------
Two atoms walk into a bar. One atom says to the other atom:
"I've lost an electron!"
"Are you sure?"
"I'm positive!"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The docking bay on Starbase 375 held the stolen Jem"Hadar bug with very little room to spare. Starbase 375 was a "mushroom" station minus the long tanks on the bottom (or top?) Using this as a calculation of size, the starbase shouldn't be very big at all.

Of course, other shots of the station with starships in the background made it look quite larger than it should be using the above method.

------------------
Star Trek: Legacy -
Timeline of Pertinent Events

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Starbase 375 is not a mushroom starbase. It's an Office Complex/Regula 1 starbase without the Regula 1 bottom extension.

------------------
[Bart's looking for his dog.]
Groundskeeper Willy: Yeah, I bought your mutt - and I 'ate 'im! [Bart gasps.] I 'ate 'is little face, I 'ate 'is guts, and I 'ate the way 'e's always barkin'! So I gave 'im to the church.
Bart: Ohhh, I see... you HATE him, so you gave him to the church.
Groundskeeper Willy: Aye. I also 'ate the mess he left on me rug. [Bart stares.] Ya heard me!

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was also a big-arsed mushroom station at UP where the Enterprise-D was built... you saw it in the episode "Booby Trap" well the inside of it anyway...

I've got a pic... wait a second...

OK nope, I can't find it - can somebody post the picture of the Geordi looking out those large windows at the skeleton of the E-D?

Here is a shot from Starbase 74 or the one from "Remember Me"

------------------
"This is cooling, faster than I can..." Tori Amos "Cooling"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did I say TMP? I must have been drunk

I meant 'Spacedock' and Starbase 74, actually.

So how big could the above station (74) be, if it can house an entire Galaxy ship?

------------------
"Content, graphics, and design are © 1999-2000 by The Solareclipse Network"
-And no-one even noticed the typo...
---

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From what I heard the mushroom spacedock that was orbiting earth was approx. 3.5 to 4 miles in diameter and 5 miles tall. As for starbase 74, it could be the same size as the earth spacedock. Starbase 74 might have simply had larger doors for larger ships. Just because a galaxy class ship could dock there doesn't mean the entire starbase is larger. All it means to me is that starbase 74 has larger doors.

------------------
If anyone has a Star wars action fleet E-wing starfighter or Tie defender toy they want to sell, please E-mail me at [email protected]

IP: Logged
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

74 *is* larger. In an exterior shot with the Ent-D and the station, the Ent-D appeared to be just as big as the old Enterprise in the old shot with Spacedock.

BTW, how many (kilo)meters is a mile? I'm accustomed to the metric system.

------------------
To know a thing well, know its limits. Only when pushed beyond its tolerances will true nature be seen.
The Amtal Rule (Dune)
---

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1.609Km/mi

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking"

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 mile is exactly 1.60934 km.

And I don't think the mushroom starbase model never got a 'door-upgrade'. In the Star Trek Universetm I think it will be more logical that it had its door enlarged, and that overal size is the same.

But that's just my opinion.

Somebody count those windows and check that for me! I don't have the episode on tape...

------------------
"That's your plan? Wile E. Coyote would come up with a better plan than that!"
- Crighton, Farscape.

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I haven't posted in a while, but now I'm back! Ready to bore you with more technical related minutae! Ha ha ha ha ha! Ahem.

Now, to the topic at hand, I don't believe the "mushroom" base ever got any changes to its doors. I never actually saw the episode with Starbase 74 in it, but I've seen screenshots, and the door remains proportionally the same size to the rest of the station superstructure between the STNG episode and ST-III. So the station was built bigger.

Boy, that's a lot to explain a little.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd say they just adjusted the size of the ships in the SFX department so they fit through the doors. *SHOCK*

But if you're looking for a trek explanation I'd suggest that there isn't a logical one.

------------------
Re: Russia in WWII

"Hey, we butchered Poles! Thats OK."
- DT.

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
::gasps:: You mean it isn't REAL? AHH! No, seriously, I understand they made a minor continuity error. In the trek world, we just have the say they make them in multiple sizes. "We have here our Mark I models, built to fit small dogs and rodents, and over here is the Mark IV . . ."
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps