Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Size of 'mushroom' starbases. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Size of 'mushroom' starbases.
RAMA
Member # 380

- posted      Profile for RAMA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reverend, even at 2 AUs the inside interior of a Dyson sphere has enough suface area for MILLIONS of planets!! Its the second largest object ever seen in visual fiction period.

BTW, based on the size of the E-D, the spacedock model used for the starbases was at least 3 miles tall. Its correspondingly larger than the spacedock used n STIII.

RAMA

------------------
Recession repression regression
Shifts of scenery
And warning tremors of landslides
The sun comes down
The mountains move aside
Your kingdom slips out of your hands

[This message has been edited by RAMA (edited January 24, 2001).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I feel that I should point this out: The shot of the Enterprise-D approaching Starbase in 11001001 was contructed using SFX elements from STIII. Didnt ya notice that the planet was a familiar blue/green, and that there was a moon floating in the background? Hmm?

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

warbird5
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
RAMA, what's the largest object then?
IP: Logged
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From popular opinion here, Sol's .....

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them....

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That would be V'ger from Star Trek The Motion Picture, at 82 AUs ('only' 41 times the size of the Dyson sphere).

------------------
"That's your plan? Wile E. Coyote would come up with a better plan than that!"
- Crighton, Farscape.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
V'Ger was 82 AU long, what was it's diameter?

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget
Star Trek: Gamma Quadrant
Star Trek: Legacy
Read them, rate them, got money, film them....

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
V'ger was in total 82 AUs big. It was roundish, so it was 82 AUs long as well.

But this is about the whole thing, including the force field. The ship itself was only 1000 kilometers long (or 100 kilometers, I don't remember exactly, but it was said by Kirk).

------------------
- Crighton, Farscape.

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

An addition to that:

Kirk said to fly 1000 (or 100) kilometers over the ship and then stop. They ended at the back of the ship...

------------------
- Crighton, Farscape.

warbird5
Ex-Member

Any estimates on the strength of these starbases?

Are these stronger than a DS9-like space station?

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The structure of V'ger was a lot larger than the Enterprise, but certainly not the full 82 AU of the surrounding field. At this size it would have swallowed the whole solar system. I wonder anyway how the whole thing could dissolve without harming Earth. Just imagine E=mc^2.

The Dyson sphere is probably be much larger than anything else in the galaxy. It would have consumed 12,000 Earth-sized planets to be built if its shell was 100m thick.

------------------
"Species 5618, human. Warp-capable, origin grid 325, physiology inefficient, below average cranium capacity, minimum redundant systems, limited regenerative abilities."
Ex Astris Scientia

Michael Dracon
Member # 4

warbird5: The DS9 type 'starbase' are originally Cardassian mining facility, without any good defences to speak of. The Federation upgraded DS9 twice, and with the second upgrade it had a lot of firepower. Unfortunately we have never seen any weapons active on any other starbases. I personally think the mushroom type Spacedocks have more firepower, since they are a _lot_ bigger.

------------------
Terry: "Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, ...."
Max: "And?"
Terry: "I forgot."
Max: "Come on, Clinton was the fun one, then came the boring one."
Terry: "They're all boring."

- Batman Beyond (aka: Batman of the Future)

BRUTUS
Ex-Member

Is there a size comparison chart of various starbases....Spacedock, DS9, Regula 1,...or other large stationary objects like maybe that...space drill thing. What was it? Quantum fountain? What was it's name? Oh and the subspace relay...and some of the orbital drydocks. I think that would be a cool diagram to have in addition to all the ship diagrams.
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Regarding the size of V'ger...the screenplay for TMP lists its length at 87 kilometers. Looking at Syd Mead's plans for V'ger, that would make it about 12.7 km wide (34 km wide across the "power vanes" that contain all the electrical effects).

The book Star Trek Phase II incorrectly identifies Mead's V'ger designs as early concepts, when they are, in fact, the final shape of the entity.

For those who want to see a line drawing of what V'ger looked like...
http://home.pacbell.net/mauricem/vger.gif

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoops, just saw some other messages here regarding V'ger that are incorrect.

Cloud size: Epsilon 9 reports the powerfield as "Over 82 A.U.s in diameter," which is 82+ times the distance from the Earth to the Sun, or over 7 billion 626 million miles.

V'ger itself: It's size is never directly given in the final film, although it's idenfied as 87 km long in at least one draft of the shooting script.

Uhura: It could hold a crew of tens of thousands.
McCoy: Or a crew of a thousand ten miles tall.

Well, they were both wrong. At 87 km long and over 12 km wide, it could hold millions of human sized creatures, or about a dozen ten mile tall beings hunched over.

MrNeutron
Member # 524

One other V'ger thing I missed...somone mentioned other dialogue concerning flying over it. Which goes...

Kirk: Bring us into a parallel course. Over the alien at 500 meters.
Sulu: 500 *meters*?
Kirk: Then take us out to 100 kilometers distance adjusting parallel course.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps