Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » Size of 'mushroom' starbases. (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Size of 'mushroom' starbases.
MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One other V'ger thing I missed...somone mentioned other dialogue concerning flying over it. Which goes...

Kirk: Bring us into a parallel course. Over the alien at 500 meters.
Sulu: 500 *meters*?
Kirk: Then take us out to 100 kilometers distance adjusting parallel course.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sulu was probably just confused at the metric-ness of Kirk's command. HE thought that they'd left behind the measuring system-swapping madness when TOS ended.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

MrNeutron
Member # 524

- posted      Profile for MrNeutron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One final V'ger misperception. A lot of people assume the Enterprise aproaches V'ger from the front and crosses to the back. Actually, they approach from the rear and then fly to the front, where the maw opens and draws them in.

This is because the ship takes a "conic section flight path" that Kirk mentions, but is never defined in the film. In the novel (and elsewhere) it is explained to be that the ship first approaches the cloud head on, then swings around the side so it's always facing the cloud center as it passes. Once behind the cloud, they overtake at whatever speed they like, instead of having it charging at them at warp 7 or whatnot.

Would have been nice if they'd shown this on the tactical display!

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tactical display in TMP really sucks! The Klingons had triangles representing their ships and grids that falsly display the accurate measure of the enemy. The best I have seen so far was the one in ST6 in Chang's ship.

------------------
Predict the unpredictable, but how do you unpredict the unpredictable?

MrNeutron
Member # 524

>Tactical display in TMP really sucks!
>The Klingons had triangles representing their
>ships and grids that falsly display the accurate >measure of the enemy.

I looked again. The tactical displays show silhouettes of the ships against the cloud. First seen from behind then overhead. What triangles are you talking about? The ones that frame the incoling energy bolt?

I think those displays are like the toy ships on the map kind of thing...to show where you are relative to the enemy.

>The best I have seen so far was the one in ST6
>in Chang's ship.

Which showed him targeting the TOP of the Excelsior and when he shot he hit the bottom. LOL!

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's because we weren't allowed to see the top of the Excelsior during that movie.

Honestly. Go and watch it. We get one shot from above (and behind), and then the ship is half obscured by cloudy stuff. Honestly, I don't know why they even bothered making those oh-so important changes (TWO Impulse crystals instead of one? Oh my).

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps