Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Misc. TOS stuff (Page 9)

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   
Author Topic: Misc. TOS stuff
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
**continued from previous post**
 -
 -
 -

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
 -

Ok.. that's the sideview. But I need some more information about what that aft section is supposed to be. The shipschematics.net image only has a side and fore view, but I'd really like to have a top view. Can anyone help me?

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with getting a good top view is that in the original booklet of plans, there wasn't a complete one. The scale is roughly 1/400, and in order to fit on the sheets (which were 10 1/2 by 25"), they could only show half views of the top and bottom. The rest of the packet included port, bow, and stern elevations and a cutaway side view. The final sheet gives a brief history of the class, with the amusing note that the Niantic (NCC-1105) was the last ship to rendezvous with the Constellation before she encountered the Doomsday Machine. Since Niantic disappeared in the same area shortly after encountering the cruiser, Starfleet assumed the Planet Killer got her too.

And, before you all ask, I still don't have a scanner; I'd have to photocopy and snail mail 'em to you (actually, first I'd have to erase all the pencil notes on the sheets from when I made a 1/800 scale copy of the ship some years back.) [Big Grin]

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not me. In fact, I insist that you stop looking and apply artistic license instead. [Razz]

That way, the ventral extension need not be square in section, even though that's probably what the designer intended. Based on side and front views alone, it could be a winglike shape, not that much different from a Constitution connecting neck. Or a wedge or "keel" of some sort.

Also, fanfic has a ship of this class serve as the basis for the prototype of the Surya class, that is, for a TOS Miranda of sorts. You know how the Surya looks, right? It has those silly pylons starting from near the ship's axis and going out to the nacelles with a slight kink down. I think it would be best to give the Detroyat the same pylons, just without the kink.

And the aft hull should by the same logic be shaped to resemble the Surya config: the sloping surface we see peeking from behind the nacelle could end in impulse engines, "outriggered" to the same position they hold in the Suryas. The "refit" would then just add shuttlebay boxes on both sides of this impulse extension, and remove the ventral keel.

If you must give this ship a shuttlebay (although I wouldn't...), just put it in the keel thing. Gives the keel a reason to exist. Perhaps a big roll-up door opening to a bay that takes up the volume not covered by windows, just below the nacelle and aft of the docking port.

The thing below the saucer, terminating at the bottom vertex, is a long torpedo tube, of course. [Cool]

Hmm. What about using the current "bridge" as a mere pedestal for the actual bridge module? You could put a "The Cage" style high bridge module there... (IIRC, the original Detroyat side view had a lower-profile structure up there than your rendition.)

Timo Saloniemi

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That structure under the saucer is the housing for the main docking port; according to the cutaway and the ship's stats, the Detroyat hasn't got any torpedoes at all. Kind of funny for a heavy destroyer designation. Oh, well....

The cutaway indicates that the ship has no shuttlebay, either. And the bridge housing is a deck-and-a-half structure. It contains the bridge plus the top half of deck 2 (which houses the ship's library functions).

--------------------

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So where does the Ariadne come from? Any more info on that?

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The cutaway was no doubt released to confuse Klingon spies. Main docking port under the saucer? That's a negative, Houston. Never heard anything so... nonfunctional!

I'm convinced that the big frontal orifice Starfleet calls "docking port" is the muzzle of a torpedo launcher so big that it puts even the out-of-scale DS9 kitbash tubes to shame.

Umm, until I see the cutaway, that is. Where could I find it?

Timo Saloniemi

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

Don't know where you'd find it online; I've had my copy of the plans for nearly twenty years.

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
perhaps the Detroyat is the historical design precedent the 1701-E refitters were paying homage to when they put all sorts of torpedo launches in that vessel's docking ports!

since ive moved into my new room and hung up the FSRC, most of my visitors have commented that the Ariadne looks like a bong. .. other than that nothing is known.. no other plans exist that i have been able to reference, and its unclear as to whether it is simply cylindrical or if it might be a ring ship.. perhaps we should ask Aridas Sofia.. he posted at TrekBBS a while back , i recall, and if he didnt derive the ship from anyone elses fanart, then he is the ships creator.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://members.aol.com/Griffyards/detroyat.html

I don't know how reliable the source for this guy's model design is, but it certainly looks good -- maybe it'll help you out, Harry. [Smile]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harry, you could reverse engineer from the Menahga. I think that the M was a semi-updated D refit advemnet design. The similarities are too much to be denied.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Woodside Kid
Member # 699

quote:
I don't know how reliable the source for this guy's model design is, but it certainly looks good -- maybe it'll help you out, Harry.
Not too bad, considering the relative lack of information. However, there are some problems. The use of a 1701-type hull is inaccurate for several reasons:

1) Too small; the stats for the ship give a saucer beam of 151.25m.
2) Wrong shape; the upper and lower faces of the saucer are flat (like a short, shallow cone with an extremely wide base), not the complex curves of the cruiser design.
3) The B-C deck structure below the bridge; Detroyat has no such structure.

The engines are also incorrect. However, the general layout of the secondary hull structure is very close to the plans; it really does have that slab-sided shape.

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

The impulse engine area is pretty similar to the Surya one. I suggest keeping it that way... I wonder if the pylons shouldn't be farther back, however. I mean, purely aesthetically speaking. And keeping in mind that this ship is going to become a Surya later on. The original blueprints may suggest this placement for all I know.

Timo Saloniemi

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can you give more dimensions, WK? I've now scaled it using window-size, but that is of course only a vague estimate.

Timo: I've alread made Surya schematics, so I know what she looks like [Smile] It's not the upgraded ship, but the 'original' one, although I replaced that rather ugly deflector dish with the sleeker one from Guenther's Saladin/Hermes schematics.

I'm now making a secondary hull similar to that model, with an impulse engine and a sloped boxy shape.

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Harry, what sensor dish? I've never seen a dish in the Surya plans I have access to...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps