Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » TOS USS Antares WIP (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: TOS USS Antares WIP
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very nice! I've always liked this design and the model is excellent. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
(The fact that I think the "real" Antares was NCC-501 and looked like the Xhosa notwithstanding... [Razz] )

Well, you're just crazy anyways.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed. Certifiable.
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's just crazy talk.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Endeavour3d
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
if only they designed the NX-01 like that...*sigh*

btw, I know who Rick Knox is [Big Grin]

IP: Logged
Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They (meaning John Eaves) did.
TPTB wanted something "sleeker".
I hope to hound Eaves about it when I meet him in June and mabye he'll describe the rejected ship designs to me: I know one of them had a sphere forward section (although not the Deadalus).
I really really doubt that we'll get to see the proposed thumbnail drawings Eaves did now that the ST Mag is gone (or really soon to be). [Frown]
Anybody live within driving distance of North Carolina? Eaves is going to be at Wonderfest this year along with Ray Harryhousen. [Smile]

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There were a bunch of early sketches at that London exhibition. None of them looked any promising, IMNSHO.

--------------------
Titan Fleet Yards | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
if only they designed the NX-01 like that...*sigh*
Funny you should mention that... [Wink]

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you have catamarans, you probably should make them a lot thinner!

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reverend, I think you left out an "N" -- shouldn't that be Akirantares? [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Twas merely drawn in jest my good man and a long time ago at that [Wink]

quote:
Reverend, I think you left out an "N" -- shouldn't that be Akirantares?
Quiet you! I'll spell my parodies however I damn well please. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Reverend:
quote:
Twas merely drawn in jest my good man and a long time ago at that [Wink]
Thank GOD!

--------------------

Timo
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for Timo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A warning first: you should implicitly assume that I'm completely in awe of the quality and beauty of this work. Because I am.

Now to criticism. Or rather, personal bias.

What's the deal with the ventral pod and the deflector dish? Doesn't seem to do the design much justice. And it can't be discerned in the original drawing anyway. The ship would look much prettier with either no deflector at all, or a small golden dish either mounted on a thin pole Saladin style or flattened a bit for mounting on the forward edge of the secondary hull.

The spinal "cargo pod" is a wonderful idea. But what about making more of the idea that it is a swappable unit? The original drawing has no saucer phasers. It does have a triangular "warning label" atop the spinal module. Perhaps this is the location of the sole dorsal phaser of the vessel? Perhaps you can take out the cargo pod and install an equally sized phaser device, with that single emitter? You could also downscale the whole ship a bit to make this type of limited armament more plausible.

If you want to maintain that this is the ship from "Charlie X", then a swappable module like that would jibe well with the alternating "science probe vessel" and "transport" designations of the ship. There could be a sensor module available as well...

Timo Saloniemi

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

"Twas merely drawn in jest my good man and a long time ago at that."

Someone was serious: http://www.3dgladiators.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19241

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Timo:
Ok first of all I'm not going back and redesigning my schematics since all the points you have raised there have already been discussed and the design was effectively frozen almost a year ago. I do appreciate the constructive criticism and I have by no means abandoned the Antares, in fact I have been tinkering with it lately and you should expect to see some shiny new plans in the next few months.
But if you'd like to know the reasoning behind why the ship looks the way it does I'll tell you.
  • Deflector pod
    Early on in the process I did try several ways of attaching the deflector including, as you suggested, the FJ style mounting as well as several different ways of integrating it into the secondary hull.
    None of them looked very good and I was never satisfied with any of them. As you might guess the pod was my favourite solution mainly because it had never been done before (AFAIK) and it added alot of character to the design, it also reinforced the modular nature of the design and supported the apparent multi-role nature of the "Charlie X" ship.
    As an aside I thought that such modular components would be useful to a ship that could be operated by such a small crew (10 or 15 wasn't it?).
  • Cargo pod
    That is something that I always intended to me more modular and adaptable that it appears, I simply was not able to show that it is infact composed of several wedge shaped modules at that time. Also the ventral "wedge" was always supposed to be a sensor module with a downwards facing sensor array for scanning planetary surfaces while the two flanking pods were meant to be the cargo containers, hence their proximity to the airlock.
  • Phasers
    Again the look of these phaser banks were meant to look modular so they could be "un-plugged" and removed to allow the ship some flexibility in it's power needs and armaments, something that wouldn't be so easy with NX-01 style pop-up turrets.
    Oh and that red warning triangle is actually the symbol I took off a DS9 cargo label to represent Starfleet Transport Command's logo.
    Having no contact with the original artist I have no idea what his intention was here, so I took some artistic licence. [Wink]
  • Scale
    I've already down scaled this once, I'm not about to go through all that hassle again. [Razz]

quote:
Originally posted by Masao:
Someone was serious

Yikes, now that's what I call ugly.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps