Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Class III Neutron Fuel Carrier (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Class III Neutron Fuel Carrier
Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
So, do I get the penny?
For being such a smart arse you may have two.

quote:
(That of course is in reference only to the first picture, [the "Shika Maru", which I assume is supposed to be the Shiku Maru from TNG "Darmok"] of course, as your Kobayashi Maru already bears no prefix.)
Can someone please confirm which spelling is correct since I've been told off for using both of them now. I have been once told that Shiku was a typo.

As for the S.S. thing I'm going along with Masao on this one, it can be both.
Perhaps the Maru part is kept as a tradition by some Japanese descended human colonies for their ships while the S.S. part is a necessary suffix for all Non-Starfleet Federation ships

I didn't give the Kobayashi Maru an S.S. on the hull because I figured that it's part of a private fleet which would have a certain amount of latitude in their marking schemes that wouldn't necessarily be granted to a federation freighter like the Shiku/a Maru.

quote:
"Maru" is the Japanese word for "ship" (or something similar), right?
It means "Circle", what that has to do with naming boats is a little beyond me at the moment.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
UPDATE

This should correct all the previously noted errors. I've also tried putting in a grid behind the plans to add a little depth, what do you think? Keep them or loose them?

Class3_NFC3.gif

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I liked it better without the gridlines.

I wish I'd noticed this sooner, but I was taking a closer look at the forward view and the deflector dish pod. If my perspective is right, I think that the connecting "neck" structure is way too thin in width. People have to get down there, right? Even if it's a civilian ship, automation isn't exactly the most prevalent feature of the time.

Still, that's a barely noticeable detail, so you probably don't have to worry about it if you're sick of edits. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1. I'm almost positive that it's Shiku Maru.
2. Maru is a Japanese suffix that indicates civilian registry. (As we would think of the prefix S.S., though I see from Masao's post that the somewhat redundant use of *both* is not unheard of.)

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You can't fool me! Those are two sides of THE SAME PENNY!

I think for identification on the hull itself, I would omit "SS. " Then below the name on the stern put the home port. Or does UFP take the place of the home port?

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I would think that there are "stars of registry." This was something that I worked with a lot. We all know that each ship has a Federation-assigned prefix & number: NDT-50446, NGL-1063, etc.

Then I started thinking about how boats in the US all have their own registry codes--the state prefix & then numbers. This all grew out of building civilian Trek models, mind you. So I started assigning prefix codes to Federation member planets, colonies, & the like. Each planet, et. al. had a single-, double-, or triple-letter planetary code prefix to denote star-of-registry.

Thus Earth vessels had a T (for "Terra"), Andor was A, Vulcan a V, Tellar was Tr. The Moon was L (for Luna), Europa was E. Bajor was Bj, Bajor VIII was Br. The Rigel worlds got assigned R, Ri, Rg, Re, & Rl. Ultima Thule was UT & Altair III & Vi got AT & AL respectively.

So the Shiku Maru would be Federation vessel NGL-7723, & her portcode of G776123 would show her to be operated out of or by parties based on Ganymede.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The front view looks like an insect - the nacelles the wings, the 'fuel tubes' and their grapples the legs and - some food or something! [Smile]

Any chance of a version with no pods and the 'grapples' retracted?

nice work.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
I wish I'd noticed this sooner, but I was taking a closer look at the forward view and the deflector dish pod. If my perspective is right, I think that the connecting "neck" structure is way too thin in width. People have to get down there, right? Even if it's a civilian ship, automation isn't exactly the most prevalent feature of the time.
By my reckoning that pylon is about three meters thick, just enough room for a Jefferies ladder or a narrow stairwell me thinks.

quote:
1. I'm almost positive that it's Shiku Maru.
Almost isn't good enough spanky.

quote:
2. Maru is a Japanese suffix that indicates civilian registry. (As we would think of the prefix S.S., though I see from Masao's post that the somewhat redundant use of *both* is not unheard of.)
A neutronic fuel tanker in a fleet that runs on hydrogen; now that's what I call redundant.

quote:
You can't fool me! Those are two sides of THE SAME PENNY!
Don't make me slap you.

quote:
I think for identification on the hull itself, I would omit "SS. " Then below the name on the stern put the home port. Or does UFP take the place of the home port?
I think the registy prefix displays the planet of origin, although Shik is wrong in his scheme since it appears that NAR is the Earth Prefix and NSP is a good possibility for the Vulcan code.

quote:
They are already retracted.

--------------------

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just checked the "Darmok" script:

quote:
DATA
The Children of Tama were called
"incomprehensible" by Captain
Silvestri of the
Shiku Maru.
Other accounts are comparable.

I think that about settles it.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

--------------------
The flaws we find most objectionable in others are often those we recognize in ourselves.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They are already retracted.

So they don't go in any further if there are no PODS there? So you could have more pods there? Or you didn't get what 'grapples' I was referring to?

Andrew - who read the title as Futronic Neul Carrier - how's that for a little bit of assonance!?! [Smile]

Futronic Mule carrier perhaps!?! [Smile]

Heh heh Mule.

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

quote:
Originally posted by The Mighty Monkey of Mim:
Just checked the "Darmok" script:

quote:
DATA
The Children of Tama were called
"incomprehensible" by Captain
Silvestri of the
Shiku Maru.
Other accounts are comparable.

I think that about settles it.

-MMoM [Big Grin]

Not if it's a typo.

What do are resident Japanese speakers think about this, are they both real words or is just one of them right?

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AndrewR:
Futronic Mule carrier perhaps!?! [Smile]

Heh heh Mule.

No no... that's the "Foundation" movie they're making, not "Wrath of Khan." [Razz]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Sarvek
Member # 910

- posted      Profile for Sarvek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was wondering when you were going to finish your Class 3 Neutronic Fuel Carrier. She looks great. [Big Grin] I really like your attention to detail. Are you planning on any other designs?
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

Futon and Mule carrier [Smile]

--------------------

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I looked up both Shika and Shiku.
Shika = dentistry; deer/stag; regular retail price (literally, market price; good for a Ferengi ship). Also woman's name, a place name, and the name of a nuke plant.

Shiku = verse, stanza, line of poem; to equal or compare; to spread, cover, or lay out (as with a futon!). Also a place name, a family name, and word to describe a dull pain (shiku shiku).

So, it could be either one. I couldn't find any particular anime references.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps