Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Sci-Fi » Designs, Artwork, & Creativity » Class III Neutron Fuel Carrier (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Class III Neutron Fuel Carrier
Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a character called "Nara Shikamaru" in an anime series called "Naruto". Or so says Google.
Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, one word. That's got to be the source.

--------------------
When you're in the Sol system, come visit the Starfleet Museum

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If that means I don't have to change the plans again, then I'm sold.

--------------------
Dark Knight Adventures & Batman Beyond:Stripped - DeviantArt Gallery
================================
...what we demand is a total absence of solid facts!

The Mighty Monkey of Mim
SUPPOSED TO HAVE ICE POWERS!!
Member # 646

- posted      Profile for The Mighty Monkey of Mim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whatever. I go with scripts and CC whenever possible. They're your plans.
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As regards what neutronic fuel is, remember that the TNG-era fleet (and probably the film and TOS eras, as well, if not even earlier) use Deuterium and anti-Hydrogen as reactants, and more of the former than the latter, due to fusion reactor fuel requirements. Deuterium being a Hydrogen atom with a neutron, it makes sense to me that a tanker carrying slush Deuterium would be hauling neutronic fuel from Deuterium refineries to fleet support bases and civilian refuelling depots. This as distinct from the antimatter tankers Rick referred to in his TNG TM. Be a good idea to keep the two separate... [Wink]

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

newark
Member # 888

- posted      Profile for newark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The registry of the Kobayashi Maru is "Amber, Tau Ceti IV". This is a rather bizarre and singular registry.
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I like traffic lights, but only when they're..."

[Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Starship Freak
Member # 293

- posted      Profile for Starship Freak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Has anyone of you artists ever tried doing the Lotus neutronic fuel carrier and the Orion wanderer? We have diagrams of those from Fasa, but I for one would love to see better and bigger versions. Remind me, was there more of the Fasa designs shown on screen?

Also, anyone have bigger scans of the above mentioned? I only have small versions, like 500x.

--------------------
"The Starships of the Federation are the physical, tangible manifestations of Humanity´s stubborn insistence that life does indeed mean something."
Spock to Leonard McCoy in "Final Frontier"

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hell, I want to see the Romulan Nova, Winged Defender, Bright One, and a few others modeled in proper "transitional" colours (from the white-with-painted-bird of TOS to all green with feather-patterned hull plates) to fill in the massive gap between the old Bird-of-Prey and the D'Deridex. I would absolutely squeal in delight if the warships involved in the Tomed Incident were Novas.

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
As regards what neutronic fuel is, remember that the TNG-era fleet (and probably the film and TOS eras, as well, if not even earlier) use Deuterium and anti-Hydrogen as reactants, and more of the former than the latter, due to fusion reactor fuel requirements. Deuterium being a Hydrogen atom with a neutron, it makes sense to me that a tanker carrying slush Deuterium would be hauling neutronic fuel from Deuterium refineries to fleet support bases and civilian refuelling depots. This as distinct from the antimatter tankers Rick referred to in his TNG TM. Be a good idea to keep the two separate...
So neutronic fuel is just another term for Deuterium? That's simple enough.

quote:
The registry of the Kobayashi Maru is "Amber, Tau Ceti IV". This is a rather bizarre and singular registry.
I conjecture that "Amber" is the name of the fuel or shipping company that owns the KM and "Tau Ceti IV" is simply the planet from which this particular fuel carrier operates from. Hence the logo.

--------------------

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

I think Amber is the city on Tau Ceti IV. My step-father is in the Coast Guard. I know well what a "vessel's registry" is. It's more-or-less synonymous with home port, with the connotation of "where is this ship registered so we can go there in case there's some problem?"...

--Jonah

--------------------

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

Ok so the City started life as a fuel depo for the Amber company and over time it grew to become a major trading station and a city in it's own right, so they named it Amber city.
Happy? [Wink]

--------------------

SoundEffect
Member # 926

- posted      Profile for SoundEffect     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Hell, I want to see the Romulan Nova, Winged Defender, Bright One, and a few others modeled in proper "transitional" colours (from the white-with-painted-bird of TOS to all green with feather-patterned hull plates) to fill in the massive gap between the old Bird-of-Prey and the D'Deridex.

Well, it's not a FASA design, but I was intrigued by the color design on the Romulan Stormbird (converted D-7) and painted my FASA mini with those colors from the FASA ad. When the Klingon Bird of Prey model came out, I decided to paint a Romulan Variation of the Bird of Prey in the colors of my Romulan Bright One mini:

Romulan Variation Bird of Prey

--------------------
Stephen L.
-Maritime Science Fiction Modelers-

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

Beauty... I think the blue should go further out in the feathers, but -- beauty. I'm still trying to find minis of my favorite FASA ships (including four Romulan ships) so I can start experimenting. I came in just as it was going out. Started having money of my own in 1989 -- actually, went in to buy some minis about a week after they disappeared from my hobby shop's racks.

Oh -- yes, Kris, makes me happy.

--Jonah

--------------------

Griffworks
Member # 1014

- posted      Profile for Griffworks     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peregrinus:
Hell, I want to see the Romulan Nova, Winged Defender, Bright One, and a few others modeled in proper "transitional" colours (from the white-with-painted-bird of TOS to all green with feather-patterned hull plates) to fill in the massive gap between the old Bird-of-Prey and the D'Deridex. I would absolutely squeal in delight if the warships involved in the Tomed Incident were Novas.

--Jonah

How do these grab ya?

Romulan T-10 Bright One class destroyer

D'Tarsis class frigate

Get you excited, at least...? [Wink]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps